Luxury cruise ship stranded in remote Greenland, nearly 100 Aussies onboard await rescue

Here at the SDC, we're enthusiasts for a good holiday story. Whether it's an exotic overseas trip or a luxurious cruise, the idea of embarking on a journey and setting sail into the horizon for some well-deserved rest and relaxation is undeniably alluring.

Regrettably, what was supposed to be a dreamboat excursion turned into an absolute nightmare for the 206 people aboard the prestigious 104-meter-long MV Ocean Explorer.

This incident happened during a visit to a remote location in Greenland known as Alpefjord National Park. It was there that the massive ocean liner ran aground on a sandbank, leaving passengers and crew members feeling truly stranded—quite literally, in this case.

Of those 206 affected individuals, a significant number, 90 to be exact, were Australian. This unforeseen turn of events has transformed their once-distant holiday into a far more stressful experience than any of them could have anticipated.

Screenshot 2023-09-14 at 9.13.18 AM.png
More than 200 passengers onboard a luxury cruise liner have been left stranded in the Arctic after their ship ran aground. Credit: Facebook/Joint Arctic Command.

As reported in a statement by the Danish military's Joint Arctic Command (JAC), 'A cruise ship in trouble in the national park is obviously a worry. The tide that came in during the day, local time, did not provide the desired help to sail on.'

The Sydney-based cruise operator Aurora Expeditions also issued a statement, saying: 'There is no immediate danger to our passengers, the vessel, or the surrounding environment. We are actively involved in efforts to free the MV Ocean Explorer from its grounding.'

'Our foremost commitment is to ensure the vessel’s recovery without compromising safety.'

While the ship's owner and crew are doing everything possible to free the vessel from the sandbank, the nearest rescue vessel is still days away. Fortunately, photos taken by a Danish Air Force plane show the Ocean Explorer sitting upright in calm waters with the sun shining.

Understandably, the passengers may be experiencing a great sense of dread and discomfort as they await the ship's eventual rescue.

To make matters worse, those on board have been battling sickness, with COVID-19 cases rising among the passengers.

Despite these challenges, some people aboard have managed to maintain a surprisingly positive outlook.

Among the passengers stranded aboard the ship are retired Sydney couple Steven Fraser and Gina Hill. They've observed that the ship's restaurant is still open, and passengers are keeping busy with talks and activities while they enjoy the breathtaking views of the surrounding glaciers.

'Everyone's in good spirits,' Fraser said.

'It's a little bit frustrating, but we are in a beautiful part of the world. We're sitting right near the glacier when we open our window.'

Despite Fraser's mention that the crew is doing their best to free the boat, the predicaments faced by the stranded passengers in one of the world's most remote areas serve as a valuable lesson in the importance of exercising caution and being more aware of their surroundings while on holiday.

Key Takeaways

• A luxury cruise ship, the Ocean Explorer, is stuck in a remote part of Greenland after running aground.
  • The 206 passengers, including 90 Australians, remain safe onboard while efforts are underway to free the ship.
  • Despite the situation, COVID-19 cases are circulating among passengers.
  • A retired Sydney couple onboard stated that despite the frustrations, the passengers remain in good spirits and are occupying their time learning nautical knots, among other activities.

We understand that, for many members of SDC, holidays are a serious matter, and the prospect of kicking back and relaxing is something you eagerly anticipate.

However, if you're planning your ocean-bound getaway, it's wise to err on the side of caution and conduct thorough research before making any bookings. Additionally, being well-prepared for any unforeseen circumstances is essential.

We sincerely hope the passengers can be rescued soon, and we see their experience as a valuable reminder for all of us about the importance of meticulous planning.

Members, what are your thoughts on this story? Have any of you had the chance to experience a cruise firsthand? If so, how did it go? We welcome you to share your experiences with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
Here at the SDC, we're enthusiasts for a good holiday story. Whether it's an exotic overseas trip or a luxurious cruise, the idea of embarking on a journey and setting sail into the horizon for some well-deserved rest and relaxation is undeniably alluring.

Regrettably, what was supposed to be a dreamboat excursion turned into an absolute nightmare for the 206 people aboard the prestigious 104-meter-long MV Ocean Explorer.

This incident happened during a visit to a remote location in Greenland known as Alpefjord National Park. It was there that the massive ocean liner ran aground on a sandbank, leaving passengers and crew members feeling truly stranded—quite literally, in this case.

Of those 206 affected individuals, a significant number, 90 to be exact, were Australian. This unforeseen turn of events has transformed their once-distant holiday into a far more stressful experience than any of them could have anticipated.

View attachment 29866
More than 200 passengers onboard a luxury cruise liner have been left stranded in the Arctic after their ship ran aground. Credit: Facebook/Joint Arctic Command.

As reported in a statement by the Danish military's Joint Arctic Command (JAC), 'A cruise ship in trouble in the national park is obviously a worry. The tide that came in during the day, local time, did not provide the desired help to sail on.'

The Sydney-based cruise operator Aurora Expeditions also issued a statement, saying: 'There is no immediate danger to our passengers, the vessel, or the surrounding environment. We are actively involved in efforts to free the MV Ocean Explorer from its grounding.'

'Our foremost commitment is to ensure the vessel’s recovery without compromising safety.'

While the ship's owner and crew are doing everything possible to free the vessel from the sandbank, the nearest rescue vessel is still days away. Fortunately, photos taken by a Danish Air Force plane show the Ocean Explorer sitting upright in calm waters with the sun shining.

Understandably, the passengers may be experiencing a great sense of dread and discomfort as they await the ship's eventual rescue.

To make matters worse, those on board have been battling sickness, with COVID-19 cases rising among the passengers.

Despite these challenges, some people aboard have managed to maintain a surprisingly positive outlook.

Among the passengers stranded aboard the ship are retired Sydney couple Steven Fraser and Gina Hill. They've observed that the ship's restaurant is still open, and passengers are keeping busy with talks and activities while they enjoy the breathtaking views of the surrounding glaciers.

'It's a little bit frustrating, but we are in a beautiful part of the world. We're sitting right near the glacier when we open our window.'

Despite Fraser's mention that the crew is doing their best to free the boat, the predicaments faced by the stranded passengers in one of the world's most remote areas serve as a valuable lesson in the importance of exercising caution and being more aware of their surroundings while on holiday.

Key Takeaways

• A luxury cruise ship, the Ocean Explorer, is stuck in a remote part of Greenland after running aground.
  • The 206 passengers, including 90 Australians, remain safe onboard while efforts are underway to free the ship.
  • A retired Sydney couple onboard stated that despite the frustrations, the passengers remain in good spirits and are occupying their time learning nautical knots, among other activities.

We understand that, for many members of SDC, holidays are a serious matter, and the prospect of kicking back and relaxing is something you eagerly anticipate.

However, if you're planning your ocean-bound getaway, it's wise to err on the side of caution and conduct thorough research before making any bookings. Additionally, being well-prepared for any unforeseen circumstances is essential.

We sincerely hope the passengers can be rescued soon, and we see their experience as a valuable reminder for all of us about the importance of meticulous planning.

Members, what are your thoughts on this story? Have any of you had the chance to experience a cruise firsthand? If so, how did it go? We welcome you to share your experiences with us in the comments below!
At least they aren't aground on Goodwin Sands.

Reactions: GeeT
I’ve never been on a cruise mainly because I watched a documentary once titled Cruise Ships from Hell. Sorry there not for me, however I have friend who repeatedly travel on cruises.

I’ve never been on a cruise mainly because I watched a documentary once titled Cruise Ships from Hell. Sorry there not for me, however I have friend who repeatedly travel on cruises.
The documentary should be required viewing before booking a cruise.

WOW extra time for NO COST I would be LOVING it, what's not to love being fed and entertained for FREE. We have had assorts of things happen on our cruises but NEVER extra time. We have had to rescue people, drop dead people off and leave people behind for not being on the ship in time

Last edited:

View attachment 29866

Key Takeaways

Ok how would the passengers planning meticulously, have prevented this??
Secondly, I'm so pleased the Aussies are showing our renound "she'll be right mate" attitude. What a stunning place to be stranded. There's food & plenty of people to acquaint with... and do what they're there for... relax & enjoy the scenery. The ship isn't sinking and the engines work fine... there grounded... for now. All the doom n gloom that the media go on about is depressing. Personally... I couldn't think of a better "extra stay" in a pristine environment... apart from the ship having "covid" but that's normal for ships... isn't it??
WOW extra time for NO COST I would be LOVING it, what's not to love being fed and entertained for FREE. We have had assorts of things happen on our cruises but NEVER extra rime. We have had to rescue people, drop dead people off and leave people behind for not being on the ship in time
I couldn't agree more. I've never been on a cruise and not likely to as I'm petrified of the water & I suffer sea sickness. Nevertheless I can't think of a better place to be grounded. The media throw doom & gloom around like it's confetti. They're not sinking & the engines are working fine ... they have food & drinks.... party on cruisers & enjoy the stunning scenery.

Ok how would the passengers planning meticulously, have prevented this??
Secondly, I'm so pleased the Aussies are showing our renound "she'll be right mate" attitude. What a stunning place to be stranded. There's food & plenty of people to acquaint with... and do what they're there for... relax & enjoy the scenery. The ship isn't sinking and the engines work fine... there grounded... for now. All the doom n gloom that the media go on about is depressing. Personally... I couldn't think of a better "extra stay" in a pristine environment... apart from the ship having "covid" but that's normal for ships... isn't it??

I couldn't agree more. I've never been on a cruise and not likely to as I'm petrified of the water & I suffer sea sickness. Nevertheless I can't think of a better place to be grounded. The media throw doom & gloom around like it's confetti. They're not sinking & the engines are working fine ... they have food & drinks.... party on cruisers & enjoy the stunning scenery.
Acupuncture will fix the sea sickness

Running aground doesn’t mean everything is lost - stranded ships ARE rescued. My husband, a ship’s engineer (now retired 20years) did question the captain’s knowledge & why was he not following maps etc., but we don’t know the cause of this grounding. Was it a sudden surge of sea, was it a sudden major gust of strong wind? Remember this is a ship carrying just over 200 odd passengers; it is not a huge cruise ship carrying 2000+ passengers so it is quite small and could easily be blown off course onto sandbanks etc.

I have been on a number of big cruise ships and one, the Canberra, took on some water (through rain blowing in) during bad weather - no big deal if it is not going to sink. I would love to do a cruise in this general part of the world but, alas, travel insurance after 75 is out of our reach now. Envious of them having more time to be in a nice place like that!!

Reactions: Veggiepatch
WOW extra time for NO COST I would be LOVING it, what's not to love being fed and entertained for FREE. We have had assorts of things happen on our cruises but NEVER extra time. We have had to rescue people, drop dead people off and leave people behind for not being on the ship in time
Sounds like heaven to me too!!

Maybe the crew, especially the Captain and navigator, should take notice of the bold. THEY are responsible for the safety of the passengers, not the passengers themselves.

View attachment 29866

Key Takeaways

Half their luck, sorry about the Covid though. Stay calm, and enjoy as much as you can. Aside from the Negative aspects
look on the bright side, Things will get
better.
Most people would not be able to afford a Cruise that went on for as long as this one, so make the most of it. Have a good time. For those who been unfortunate to get Covid, I hope they recover quickly, long enough to enjoy the Cruise.

Reactions: Rainy