Lotto winnings worth $18 million unclaimed by 20 lucky Aussies—Are you one of them?

We’ve all dreamt about what we’d do if we won the lottery.

Sail around the world on a luxury cruise ship? Splurge on a fleet of vintage cars? Treat the grandkids to a five-star holiday? The possibilities are endless.

But what if you actually had won millions and didn't even know it?

That's the reality for 20 Australians who have yet to claim their share of a whopping $18 million in lotto prize money.

These unclaimed winnings date back to 2016, and the clock is ticking for these lucky, albeit unaware, winners to claim their fortunes.

SDC 30.png
Twenty Australians have yet to claim their lottery winnings. Image source: @dylan_nolte on Unsplash.

As the Oz Lotto jackpot soars to $70 million for one of the final draws of the year, it's a timely reminder for Aussies to double-check their old Lotto tickets.

The 20 unclaimed division one and major lottery prize winners are spread across the country.

Seven winners each come from New South Wales and Queensland, two from the Australian Capital Territory and Western Australia, and one each from South Australia and Victoria.

Matt Hart, a spokesperson for The Lott, emphasised that the time frame to claim lottery prizes varies from state to state.

'In Queensland, people have seven years to claim their lottery prizes, but in Victoria, people have only 12 months to claim their wins directly from us, after which time they can claim from the Victorian Government,' he explained.

The oldest unclaimed division one win is a staggering $1.3 million from a ticket purchased in Lutwyche, Queensland, on December 31, 2016.

The clock is ticking for this winner, with only days left to claim their prize.

On the other hand, one of the most recent unclaimed division one wins was from last month—a ticket purchased in Bentleigh won a TattsLotto prize of more than $653,000.

'The biggest unclaimed lottery win is a $4.8 million Set for Life win from April 2021 with an entry purchased in Woden in the ACT,' Hart said.

Unfortunately, OzLotto is unable to contact the winners as the tickets were not registered to a player card or account.

You can find a list of all the unclaimed lotto tickets below:

7ipy4jgWcj42Hb9U46G8aryUjcc64vqSdTRC6DuljlUni6QTCOtlveNHvoqsM1w4pNeDDVcqE9XQfv4ciOxqC1G1D5WkNJTr1dmydTqOvT3fKY3Ph9eWZUpCW_PCVLVH1BoezX6IOPCS7Euw4kGT2xI

In other news, data has revealed locations where Aussies have won the lottery the most.

New South Wales has recently reclaimed its title as the state with the most Division One lottery prizes, boasting 122 wins worth over $450 million.

The Lott has revealed the exact postcodes that have seen the most lottery success.

The small suburb of Dapto, with the postcode 2530, has been crowned the luckiest in the country, with four Division One winning lottery entries sold locally.

The next luckiest postcode is 4211 of Nerang / Pacific Pines in Queensland, followed by Melbourne, Doreen, Mernda, Broadmeadows and Dallas.

You can read more about this here.
Key Takeaways
  • Aussies are encouraged to check their old lotto tickets as there is nearly $18 million in unclaimed lotto prize money from various draws since 2016.
  • The unclaimed prizes stem from 20 different winners across several states, with QLD and NSW having the most unclaimed tickets.
  • The time frame to claim lottery prizes varies by state, with some having only 12 months while others have up to seven years.
  • OzLotto cannot contact the winners of these unclaimed prizes because the winning tickets were not registered to a player card or account.
Members, what would you do if you discovered an old lottery ticket worth millions? How would you spend your prize? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
I believe that unclaimed winnings go into the Government coffers. However I think it should be given to local charities in or around the area that the ticket was purchased from. That way it will benefit needy Australians. I live in Rockhampton QLD and once found a unchecked ticket amongst paperwork. I took it to the Newsagent and they said it was too far back to check, it was 4 years old !!..But the article says Queenslanders have 7 years..:(

• Sad
Reactions: June E
I believe that unclaimed winnings go into the Government coffers. However I think it should be given to local charities in or around the area that the ticket was purchased from. That way it will benefit needy Australians. I live in Rockhampton QLD and once found an unchecked ticket amongst paperwork. I took it to the Newsagent and they said it was too far back to check, it was 4 years old !!..But the article says Queenslanders have 7 years..:(
Maybe you should have contacted the lotto office rather than a news agent ? 🤷‍♀️

Reactions: havingadoggyday