Lose weight without missing out on the holiday cheer: Five drink swaps to cut calorie intake

Christmas is a wonderful time of year, and we understand the joy of coming together with family and friends to catch up, relax, and indulge in festive treats.

That said, it can be too easy to lose sight of what we eat and drink.

After all, why would ‘Merry’ be in ‘Merry Christmas’ if the people who coined the term spent the day watching their calories, right? (Were there even calories then…)

Some market research studies have even gone so far as to say that the average office worker consumes up to 4941 calories in a single Christmas party. That’s double the recommended daily calorie limit for women (2000 calories) and men (2500)!

Well, if you count yourself among those who keep an eye on their calories — whether just casually or religiously — these tips are for you!

UK-based dietitian Terri-Ann Nunns shared five clever ways you can still enjoy a tipple while cutting down on your calorie intake.

1. Prosecco? ‘Wine’ not!

108524-1.png
DeBortoli’s King Valley Prosecco retails at $24 for four 200mL bottles. Credit: Dan Murphy’s

Sometimes it’s the simple things that make a huge difference. By swapping a large glass of your usual wine (which can contain up to 165 calories) for a glass of bubbly (which is only 80 calories), you can make a healthier choice that won’t dampen your spirits!

‘You often find that the sugar content can be lower in prosecco which… gives it the edge when it comes to calories,’ Nunns said.

A glass of prosecco will also give you fewer units of alcohol compared to wines, which can help you pace your drinking.

2. No pints, only bottles of beer

839496-1.png
Great Northern Super Crisp is the most popular Aussie beer, according to a me&u poll back in August. Image Credit: Dan Murphy’s

This one’s a no-brainer: a pint of beer holds up to 210 calories, while a bottle has 140 calories, so switching to a bottle will help you save around 70 of those extra calories.

The calories can vary between brands though, so you might want to check the label just to be on the safe side.

‘The term “beer belly” doesn’t exist without reason. Beer can be a big contributor to weight gain,’ she said.

3. Replace Long Island iced teas with Bloody Marys

pexels-photo-5946676.jpg
Bloody Mary recipes vary, but they most commonly feature vodka and tomato juice. Stock Image Credit: Pexels/Charlotte May

Though they’re a cocktail lover’s favourite, Long Island iced teas can pack a wallop in the calorie department, with some recipes estimated to contain as much as 400 calories per drink.

‘Not taking into account the potential of a looming hangover, the calorie content of this drink is more than a cheeseburger from McDonald’s,’ Nunns pointed out. (We checked, Macca’s cheeseburgers have 300 calories per serving…)

A much healthier (and less calorie-dense) option would be the classic Bloody Mary, which grants you a tasty mix of veggies, including the benefit of a tomato or two.

4. Go for diet tonic to go with gin

pexels-photo-1170599.jpg
Some gin and tonic recipes online include fruits such as lemons and strawberries. Stock Image Credit: Pexels/Peter Fazekas

Gin and tonic, as the name suggests, is a mixture of gin and tonic water poured over ice usually served with lime.

To save calories, Nunns said, you should always opt for a diet tonic when mixing a G&T.

A regular tonic can pack up to 50 calories, while diet holds basically 0.

‘This is a really easy swap to make and the taste is virtually the same,’ Nunns said.

5. Want dessert wine? Go for sherry

2165726.jpg
St Andrews Sweet Apera 750 mL retails for $6.00 at Coles. Image Credit: Coles

Dessert wines are sweet, smooth, and delicious, but they are surprisingly high in calories — with a single glass of certain types reaching up to 165 calories.

A smarter option would be to go for a glass of sherry — known locally as apera out of Aussie winemakers’ respect to Spain’s Jerez region where sherry wines are sourced — which on its own contains only 60 calories.

Since we’re on the topic of watching calories during the holidays, you might also want to read up on yummy dessert options all under 100 calories!

But some argued in the past that those wanting to watch their weight should stop counting their calories, and instead take a SEAT. Yes, you read that right!

So, members, if you’re determined to stick to your health goals this Christmas one way or another, we say go for it!

Just remember every now and then to enjoy the food and drinks — and of course, the moments in between.

What is your reaction to these tips? Do you have any drinks you’re partial to on occasion? Or have you moved on to healthier habits?

Tell us below!

Reactions: Ricci and chilly
Sponsored
I switched to non-alcoholic wines years ago and the non-alcoholic tastes exactly the same except without the headache or hangover.... There are more and more non-alcoholic beverages which are available these days ranging from beer to wine (red, white, sparkling, & dessert wines).

I mostly drink plain soda water at the pub these days (& if I'm lucky they add a piece of lemon to it) & it can sometimes cost nothing or $3 depending on bartender. Tasted Presseco for the first time a couple wks ago & enjoyed it, tho must admit, I had no idea it was low calorie, will have to investigate just how "low calorie" it actually is compared to others alcohols

Reactions: Ricci
I mostly drink plain soda water at the pub these days (& if I'm lucky they add a piece of lemon to it) & it can sometimes cost nothing or $3 depending on bartender. Tasted Presseco for the first time a couple wks ago & enjoyed it, tho must admit, I had no idea it was low calorie, will have to investigate just how "low calorie" it actually is compared to others alcohols
Hi Cheezil:
SODA POP served at pubs should be FREE, why? it's because the syrup that makes up with all of the mixers is supplied with SODA POP. Hotels pay for syrup only
The SODA POP is supplied free for the mixers, only money hungry publicans would charge for SODA POP
or what we call WATER. The Settlers and the Clovercrest in S.A. serve for free again depends on the waitress,
if not happy ask the question.
I will not pay for SODA WATER as I have health problems...
Bar staff agree with Me.

Reactions: Cheezil
I switched to non-alcoholic wines years ago and the non-alcoholic tastes exactly the same except without the headache or hangover.... There are more and more non-alcoholic beverages which are available these days ranging from beer to wine (red, white, sparkling, & dessert wines)I’ve

I’ve recently opted for zero alcohol wine and beer and I agree I’m not missing out on taste. Years ago a nil alcohol wine just tasted like apple juice but they have improved so much now I don’t feel I’m missing out on anything

Hi Cheezil:
SODA POP served at pubs should be FREE, why? it's because the syrup that makes up with all of the mixers is supplied with SODA POP. Hotels pay for syrup only
The SODA POP is supplied free for the mixers, only money hungry publicans would charge for SODA POP
or what we call WATER. The Settlers and the Clovercrest in S.A. serve for free again depends on the waitress,
if not happy ask the question.
I will not pay for SODA WATER as I have health problems...
Bar staff agree with Me.
Ok but even at $3 its a lot cheaper than alcohol - happy to pay that, especially if they are providing live music/entertainment for free.

Christmas is a wonderful time of year, and we understand the joy of coming together with family and friends to catch up, relax, and indulge in festive treats.

That said, it can be too easy to lose sight of what we eat and drink.

After all, why would ‘Merry’ be in ‘Merry Christmas’ if the people who coined the term spent the day watching their calories, right? (Were there even calories then…)

Some market research studies have even gone so far as to say that the average office worker consumes up to 4941 calories in a single Christmas party. That’s double the recommended daily calorie limit for women (2000 calories) and men (2500)!

Well, if you count yourself among those who keep an eye on their calories — whether just casually or religiously — these tips are for you!

UK-based dietitian Terri-Ann Nunns shared five clever ways you can still enjoy a tipple while cutting down on your calorie intake.

1. Prosecco? ‘Wine’ not!

View attachment 10898
DeBortoli’s King Valley Prosecco retails at $24 for four 200mL bottles. Credit: Dan Murphy’s

Sometimes it’s the simple things that make a huge difference. By swapping a large glass of your usual wine (which can contain up to 165 calories) for a glass of bubbly (which is only 80 calories), you can make a healthier choice that won’t dampen your spirits!

‘You often find that the sugar content can be lower in prosecco which… gives it the edge when it comes to calories,’ Nunns said.

A glass of prosecco will also give you fewer units of alcohol compared to wines, which can help you pace your drinking.

2. No pints, only bottles of beer

View attachment 10894
Great Northern Super Crisp is the most popular Aussie beer, according to a me&u poll back in August. Image Credit: Dan Murphy’s

This one’s a no-brainer: a pint of beer holds up to 210 calories, while a bottle has 140 calories, so switching to a bottle will help you save around 70 of those extra calories.

The calories can vary between brands though, so you might want to check the label just to be on the safe side.

‘The term “beer belly” doesn’t exist without reason. Beer can be a big contributor to weight gain,’ she said.

3. Replace Long Island iced teas with Bloody Marys

View attachment 10897
Bloody Mary recipes vary, but they most commonly feature vodka and tomato juice. Stock Image Credit: Pexels/Charlotte May

Though they’re a cocktail lover’s favourite, Long Island iced teas can pack a wallop in the calorie department, with some recipes estimated to contain as much as 400 calories per drink.

‘Not taking into account the potential of a looming hangover, the calorie content of this drink is more than a cheeseburger from McDonald’s,’ Nunns pointed out. (We checked, Macca’s cheeseburgers have 300 calories per serving…)

A much healthier (and less calorie-dense) option would be the classic Bloody Mary, which grants you a tasty mix of veggies, including the benefit of a tomato or two.

4. Go for diet tonic to go with gin

View attachment 10896
Some gin and tonic recipes online include fruits such as lemons and strawberries. Stock Image Credit: Pexels/Peter Fazekas

Gin and tonic, as the name suggests, is a mixture of gin and tonic water poured over ice usually served with lime.

To save calories, Nunns said, you should always opt for a diet tonic when mixing a G&T.

A regular tonic can pack up to 50 calories, while diet holds basically 0.

‘This is a really easy swap to make and the taste is virtually the same,’ Nunns said.

5. Want dessert wine? Go for sherry

View attachment 10895
St Andrews Sweet Apera 750 mL retails for $6.00 at Coles. Image Credit: Coles

Dessert wines are sweet, smooth, and delicious, but they are surprisingly high in calories — with a single glass of certain types reaching up to 165 calories.

A smarter option would be to go for a glass of sherry — known locally as apera out of Aussie winemakers’ respect to Spain’s Jerez region where sherry wines are sourced — which on its own contains only 60 calories.

Since we’re on the topic of watching calories during the holidays, you might also want to read up on yummy dessert options all under 100 calories!

But some argued in the past that those wanting to watch their weight should stop counting their calories, and instead take a SEAT. Yes, you read that right!

So, members, if you’re determined to stick to your health goals this Christmas one way or another, we say go for it!

Just remember every now and then to enjoy the food and drinks — and of course, the moments in between.

What is your reaction to these tips? Do you have any drinks you’re partial to on occasion? Or have you moved on to healthier habits?

Tell us below!
I am afraid our family has Rum based eggnog made with milk egg and raw sugar with 2 thirds dark rum, MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL

Presseco has an Alcohol Volume of 12.0%.

Low-calorie wines are those that are usually low in both sugar and alcohol, not necessarily both it could be just low in sugar only.

Some styles of wine inherently possess fewer calories per 150mL serving, such as the following:
  • Sparkling rosé: 122 calories
  • Chardonnay: 123 calories
  • Pinot Noir: 120 calories
  • Prosecco: 80 calories

I would have to be dying of thirst to drink anything with artificial sweetener. I read these cause brain damage.