Locals stood tall against McDonald’s—and showed the power of community isn’t lost
By
Maan
- Replies 0
McDonald’s latest expansion plans have sparked outrage in one of Sydney’s most exclusive suburbs.
Residents launched a fierce battle against the fast food giant, warning the proposal would destroy the character of their neighbourhood.
Now, locals say they have claimed a rare victory against a global powerhouse.
The plan would have transformed a former Westpac bank on Willoughby Road in Crows Nest into a 24/7 McDonald’s.
But after months of heated objections, North Sydney Council confirmed in an email to residents on Wednesday that McDonald’s had officially withdrawn its $2.6 million application.
The company’s proposal, submitted in May 2025, promised about 100 jobs, yet residents feared it would come at a steep cost to the suburb’s lifestyle.
At a Wollstonecraft precinct meeting, residents slammed the large exhaust stacks that were to be installed on-site, warning of ‘unacceptable’ odours in the heart of the community.
Local campaigner Jamie Vachon said a location near the new Crows Nest Metro Station would have been more appropriate.
‘Crows Nest residents understand that our suburb is changing,’ she said.
‘We now have a Subway, Oporto, Ogalo, El Jannah, and other chain food options.
‘While few of us would be happy with the addition of a McDonald’s, there is nothing open 24/7 in Crows Nest, and all this proposal would do is allow drunken patrons from the Crows Nest Hotel to visit a McDonald’s around the corner rather than going home.
‘It’ll bring crime, vandalism, litter, and random delivery drivers on footpaths and streets at all hours.
‘As well, there is an existing rodent problem behind the Crows Nest restaurants and this would have exacerbated things.
‘This is nothing but a money grab by McDonald’s with no care for the community.’
The council stressed that late-night trading was a ‘privilege, not a right,’ noting that only the Crows Nest Hotel currently operated past midnight.
McDonald’s already had outlets nearby in North Sydney, St Leonards, and Cremorne, but the company had been pushing aggressively to expand, with 50 new outlets planned across the country by the end of 2026.
In Sydney’s Newtown, residents were now fighting another proposal for a 24/7 McDonald’s lodged for a renovated late-Victorian building next to family-run Clem’s Chicken.
Earlier this year, police and Aboriginal organisations successfully blocked a Redfern franchise, while a Balgowlah application was rejected due to traffic and antisocial behaviour concerns.
In Melbourne’s inner north, locals resisted a Darebin City Council application for another 24/7 store, citing fears over the loss of community character.
And in Brisbane’s Hendra, a McDonald’s approval in January led residents to launch a legal appeal—the first time in Australia that a character residential site had been rezoned for fast food.
But locals said they lacked the financial power to continue their fight against the multinational chain.
‘It was doomed to failure,’ Hendra spokesman Bil Moore told 4BC Brisbane.
‘The residents feel terribly overlooked by Brisbane City Council.
‘We clearly weren’t heard. Five houses now have a 24/7 fast food drive-through as their next-door neighbour.’
Moore said councils often ‘run scared’ of taking on McDonald’s, which he described as having deep pockets and highly skilled legal teams.
‘Down in South Australia, residents fought for six years before the Safety Beach McDonald’s was finally approved,’ he said.
‘This happens all over the world.
‘You’re taking on the biggest fast food company in the world.’
ANZ’s Food, Beverage, and Agribusiness Insights report estimated Australia could see at least 30,000 quick service and fast-food outlets by 2030.
Moore warned this would have major consequences for communities, especially in the lead-up to the Brisbane Olympics.
‘This could be repeated many times over, where someone in a residential property could have an unwanted neighbour,’ he said.
McDonald’s was contacted for comment.
Community resistance to McDonald’s isn’t confined to one suburb—it has become a recurring battle across different neighbourhoods.
In some cases, councils and community groups have pushed back strongly, citing safety, health, and lifestyle concerns.
One striking example unfolded in Redfern, where a proposed outlet sparked serious objections from police and local organisations.
Read more: Why are authorities blocking this restaurant's plans? Community members reveal reason
If McDonald’s can be stopped in Crows Nest, could this signal the start of a wider pushback against fast food giants across Australia?
Residents launched a fierce battle against the fast food giant, warning the proposal would destroy the character of their neighbourhood.
Now, locals say they have claimed a rare victory against a global powerhouse.
The plan would have transformed a former Westpac bank on Willoughby Road in Crows Nest into a 24/7 McDonald’s.
But after months of heated objections, North Sydney Council confirmed in an email to residents on Wednesday that McDonald’s had officially withdrawn its $2.6 million application.
The company’s proposal, submitted in May 2025, promised about 100 jobs, yet residents feared it would come at a steep cost to the suburb’s lifestyle.
At a Wollstonecraft precinct meeting, residents slammed the large exhaust stacks that were to be installed on-site, warning of ‘unacceptable’ odours in the heart of the community.
Local campaigner Jamie Vachon said a location near the new Crows Nest Metro Station would have been more appropriate.
‘Crows Nest residents understand that our suburb is changing,’ she said.
‘We now have a Subway, Oporto, Ogalo, El Jannah, and other chain food options.
‘While few of us would be happy with the addition of a McDonald’s, there is nothing open 24/7 in Crows Nest, and all this proposal would do is allow drunken patrons from the Crows Nest Hotel to visit a McDonald’s around the corner rather than going home.
‘It’ll bring crime, vandalism, litter, and random delivery drivers on footpaths and streets at all hours.
‘As well, there is an existing rodent problem behind the Crows Nest restaurants and this would have exacerbated things.
‘This is nothing but a money grab by McDonald’s with no care for the community.’
The council stressed that late-night trading was a ‘privilege, not a right,’ noting that only the Crows Nest Hotel currently operated past midnight.
McDonald’s already had outlets nearby in North Sydney, St Leonards, and Cremorne, but the company had been pushing aggressively to expand, with 50 new outlets planned across the country by the end of 2026.
In Sydney’s Newtown, residents were now fighting another proposal for a 24/7 McDonald’s lodged for a renovated late-Victorian building next to family-run Clem’s Chicken.
Earlier this year, police and Aboriginal organisations successfully blocked a Redfern franchise, while a Balgowlah application was rejected due to traffic and antisocial behaviour concerns.
In Melbourne’s inner north, locals resisted a Darebin City Council application for another 24/7 store, citing fears over the loss of community character.
And in Brisbane’s Hendra, a McDonald’s approval in January led residents to launch a legal appeal—the first time in Australia that a character residential site had been rezoned for fast food.
But locals said they lacked the financial power to continue their fight against the multinational chain.
‘It was doomed to failure,’ Hendra spokesman Bil Moore told 4BC Brisbane.
‘The residents feel terribly overlooked by Brisbane City Council.
‘We clearly weren’t heard. Five houses now have a 24/7 fast food drive-through as their next-door neighbour.’
Moore said councils often ‘run scared’ of taking on McDonald’s, which he described as having deep pockets and highly skilled legal teams.
‘Down in South Australia, residents fought for six years before the Safety Beach McDonald’s was finally approved,’ he said.
‘This happens all over the world.
‘You’re taking on the biggest fast food company in the world.’
ANZ’s Food, Beverage, and Agribusiness Insights report estimated Australia could see at least 30,000 quick service and fast-food outlets by 2030.
Moore warned this would have major consequences for communities, especially in the lead-up to the Brisbane Olympics.
‘This could be repeated many times over, where someone in a residential property could have an unwanted neighbour,’ he said.
McDonald’s was contacted for comment.
Community resistance to McDonald’s isn’t confined to one suburb—it has become a recurring battle across different neighbourhoods.
In some cases, councils and community groups have pushed back strongly, citing safety, health, and lifestyle concerns.
One striking example unfolded in Redfern, where a proposed outlet sparked serious objections from police and local organisations.
Read more: Why are authorities blocking this restaurant's plans? Community members reveal reason
Key Takeaways
- McDonald’s dropped its $2.6 million plan for a 24/7 Crows Nest outlet after community backlash.
- Residents argued the store would worsen odours, crime, litter, and rodent problems.
- Other McDonald’s proposals in Sydney, Melbourne, and Brisbane have also sparked major opposition.
- Experts warn Australia could have 30,000 fast food outlets by 2030, raising fears about community impacts.
If McDonald’s can be stopped in Crows Nest, could this signal the start of a wider pushback against fast food giants across Australia?