Locals are furious! See the shocking 'entitled' act at a famous Australian beach that everyone is talking about.

The Australian coastline is dotted with beautiful beaches that beckon locals and tourists alike to bask in the sun and enjoy the great outdoors. Among these is Balmoral Beach in Sydney's north, a picturesque locale that's a magnet for picnickers looking to soak up the serene atmosphere. However, a recent incident involving a public picnic table has sparked outrage and a heated debate about public space etiquette.

On what seemed like a typical sunny day, beachgoers were taken aback to find a typed-up sign taped to a public picnic table. The sign declared, 'reserved 31/8 from 1pm' — yet there was no one around to claim the spot. This act of 'reservation' was met with disbelief and labeled as 'unacceptable' by many, after a frustrated Sydney woman shared the image on Facebook. 'Really? Love to know where you place the official booking. Both tables 'reserved',' she expressed, voicing the confusion and annoyance felt by many.

compressed-Screenshot 2024-09-03 at 12.36.37 PM.jpeg
Someone had 'reserved' two picnic tables at a beach in Sydney. Credit: Soph N Ros / Facebook

The online community was quick to weigh in, with comments pouring in about the inappropriateness of reserving public tables, a sentiment echoed by the Mosman Council. 'Council does not take bookings for picnic tables or promote reserving them,' a spokesperson clarified to Yahoo News Australia, reinforcing the notion that public amenities are meant for everyone's fair use.

This isn't the first time such 'table reservations' have caused a stir. Similar incidents have occurred in other council areas, including a Brisbane park where a 'reserved' note etched in chalk on the pavement sparked local ire. Another instance saw a table reserved 'for a birthday party' with a note pleading for respect and consideration for the child's special day. Yet, the community's response remains consistent: public spaces are not for private booking.

The latest Balmoral Beach incident has been met with a chorus of disapproval, with locals branding the act as 'entitled' and 'unacceptable.' One commenter suggested, 'Yeah, nah. Can’t reserve public tables. You want it, put the effort in and sit there the whole day from 8am,' highlighting the common belief that public amenities should be enjoyed on a first-come, first-served basis. Another person humorously proposed that the photo of the reserved sign should be 'the dictionary example of entitlement.'

In a twist of irony, one commenter urged the original poster to snap a photo of the group when they arrived to claim their 'reserved' tables, suggesting that if they were bold enough to reserve a public space, they might welcome the attention. Meanwhile, some tried to find middle ground, suggesting that exceptions could be made for significant events like weddings, but this notion was largely met with disagreement.

The debate over public space etiquette is a reminder of the importance of community and shared values. As Australians, we pride ourselves on our sense of fairness and mateship, and the misuse of public amenities strikes a chord with these core beliefs. It raises questions about how we can balance individual desires with collective rights and how we can foster a culture of respect for the spaces we all enjoy.

Key Takeaways

• Residents at a popular Aussie beach were upset over a sign reserving a public picnic table without official booking.
  • The act of placing 'reserved' signs on public tables at Balmoral Beach has been labelled 'entitled' and 'unacceptable.'
  • Mosman Council confirmed that they do not take bookings for picnic tables or promote reserving them.
  • The public's reaction was strong against the move, with many deeming it poor picnic table etiquette and reinforcing that public spaces should not be reserved in this way.

We at the Seniors Discount Club encourage our members to share their thoughts on this matter. Have you encountered similar situations in your local parks or beaches? How do you think such issues should be handled to maintain the community spirit? Let us know in the comments below, and remember, if you have a story tip or experience to share, you can always reach out to us. Let's keep our public spaces enjoyable for everyone!

Sponsored
I definitely would have sat at the table and waited to see who turned up at 1pm.

Seriously who do they think they are !!!

If we want a table, we go and hold it. Eg we had a child's birthday party at Carr's Park and wanted a particular table that was undercover. Party wasn't until 11am a couple of us went at 8am and sat there and had breakfast . And started to then set up at 10 am

No you can't reserve tables in these areas unless you are willing to sit there until the rest of the members of your party arrives...I would have used their sign as a fire starter on the BBQ.

I definitely would have sat at the table and waited to see who turned up at 1pm.

Seriously who do they think they are !!!

If we want a table, we go and hold it. Eg we had a child's birthday party at Carr's Park and wanted a particular table that was undercover. Party wasn't until 11am a couple of us went at 8am and sat there and had breakfast . And started to then set up at 10 am
One of my favourite spots to picnic as a child. I lived at Allawah in those days.

The world's gone mad! This sense of entitlement is mind blowing! Look, I'm sorry, but if our family decides to have a party or picnic in the local park, we take our chances. If the tables are all taken, we sit on camp chairs that we have the forethought to bring with us, and spread a picnic blanket on the grass.

How many SDC members were raised in a family where it would have been appropriate to behave like this? On the rare occasions that we had a party, we didn't expect others to put themselves out for our 'special day'. No wonder there are so many bratty kids around!

Reactions: Defiant540
I would have torn the sign off the table, stuck it to my chest and waited for the self entitled la-de-das to show up. Then let the fun begin!

A couple of weeks ago, I played the same waiting game at a local Westfield shopping centre when a Tesla wanker occupied a four hour limit EV charging station for close on seven hours.

I would say this pea knuckle's ears are still bleeding profusely from the aural assault he copped. And I don't drive OR own a car - I just did it on principle and for shits and giggles!

• Haha
Reactions: magpie1
When we have had family gatherings at a park. One family will get there a hour earlier to to pick a table. We also take extra chairs and a card table just in case we cannot get a table. First in best dressed it is a public place. Make sure you take your rubbish home and leave the bbq grills clean.
Common courtesy.
Kind regards to all Vicki

Reactions: magpie1 and 52-KID
As my dear mum, once again, would have said, "What A Lot Of Tommy Rot". Why didn't they just pull the sign off and toss it to you know where, & then carry on regardless.

Well, Suzanne Rose, talking abt Carr's Park, my ex father in law & self used to drag a prawn net around the pool there. At times there were at least 5 nets getting dragged around virtually following each other, &, getting prawns. Wife & self were living in a converted garage behind her parents house in Hurstville Grove while we were waiting for our house to be built in the Shire, at Kirrawee.

Talk abt a Small World.

Reactions: Veggiepatch
I would have torn the sign off the table, stuck it to my chest and waited for the self entitled la-de-das to show up. Then let the fun begin!

A couple of weeks ago, I played the same waiting game at a local Westfield shopping centre when a Tesla wanker occupied a four hour limit EV charging station for close on seven hours.

I would say this pea knuckle's ears are still bleeding profusely from the aural assault he copped. And I don't drive OR own a car - I just did it on principle and for shits and giggles!
You are so naughty 🤣🤣
Love Vicki

• Haha
Reactions: Veggiepatch
All I can say is, these people who think they are so privileged need a reality check. This is what society is producing now, egoistical arrogant people.

Reactions: BellaB18