Local pedestrians outraged by unsafe car spaces in a major city!

The traffic situation in Australia can be stressful. It's no wonder, with a combination of trucks, cars, and crowded roads doing their best to rain on everyone’s parade.

The pedestrian experience can depend just as much on the same roads cars ply, and recently, local walkers in a major urban centre have had reason to be very alarmed.

The danger? Unusual, obstructive parking spaces that, according to many, are quite a hazard.

Rebecca Clements, a Sydneysider from Inner West, recently took to social media to share her anger at the commotion the ‘appalling’ parking spaces had been causing in the area.

Screenshot 2023-12-06 143640.png
Car spaces in the Inner West outraged people on social media as they take up walking lanes for pedestrians. Image: X / @Rebecca Clements

These parking spaces take up the entire footpath, preventing pedestrians from walking on the side of the road where they usually would.

As Rebecca's partner found out the hard way, this causes congestion, and it can be a terrifying experience for those on two legs.

‘Two parking spaces take up the entire footpath, sending pedestrians into the middle of the street,’ Clements wrote.

'My partner was nearly hit by a big SUV not giving way at all,' she said.

People on social media were also outraged by the car spaces hindering the footpath.

'This is appalling—cars should never be allowed to park on a footpath,' one person said.

‘I understand some people may have more cars than can fit in their driveway, but in that case, don’t live on these narrow streets,’ another wrote.

‘The bloody irony of completely blocking the footpath and painting “give way to pedestrians” on the road,’ one added.

A spokesperson from Inner West Council eventually responded to Rebecca's complaints, and they explained that the road features were located in a 10km/h zone shared between vehicles and people.

‘These (shared zones) were implemented as some streets are very constrained, and there were issues such as insufficient footpath width, informal footpath parking, pedestrians walking on the road and insufficient road width for emergency vehicle access,’ they said.

‘This resulted in Council seeking to treat streets with line marked parking bays and 10km/h restrictions to make it safe to use the roadway for all road users.’

‘These facilities are approved through TfNSW, Traffic Committee and Council and have been rolled out over the last 20 years in our Council area.’

Key Takeaways
  • Locals in Sydney's Inner West have expressed frustration over car spaces that obstruct footpaths and pose a safety risk to pedestrians.
  • Some have experienced near collisions due to the parking zone setup, pushing pedestrians onto the street.
  • Community member Rebecca Clements took to social media to share images of the car spaces infringing on footpaths.
  • Inner West Council has defended the parking setup, stating it is a 10km/h shared zone, and such spaces were implemented due to issues like insufficient footpath width and insufficient road width for emergency vehicle access.

What do you think of this story? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
The traffic situation in Australia can be stressful. It's no wonder, with a combination of trucks, cars, and crowded roads doing their best to rain on everyone’s parade.

The pedestrian experience can depend just as much on the same roads cars ply, and recently, local walkers in a major urban centre have had reason to be very alarmed.

The danger? Unusual, obstructive parking spaces that, according to many, are quite a hazard.

Rebecca Clements, a Sydneysider from Inner West, recently took to social media to share her anger at the commotion the ‘appalling’ parking spaces had been causing in the area.

View attachment 36761
Car spaces in the Inner West outraged people on social media as they take up walking lanes for pedestrians. Image: X / @Rebecca Clements

These parking spaces take up the entire footpath, preventing pedestrians from walking on the side of the road where they usually would.

As Rebecca's partner found out the hard way, this causes congestion, and it can be a terrifying experience for those on two legs.

‘Two parking spaces take up the entire footpath, sending pedestrians into the middle of the street,’ Clements wrote.

People on social media were also outraged by the car spaces hindering the footpath.

'This is appalling—cars should never be allowed to park on a footpath,' one person said.

‘I understand some people may have more cars than can fit in their driveway, but in that case, don’t live on these narrow streets,’ another wrote.

‘The bloody irony of completely blocking the footpath and painting “give way to pedestrians” on the road,’ one added.

A spokesperson from Inner West Council eventually responded to Rebecca's complaints, and they explained that the road features were located in a 10km/h zone shared between vehicles and people.

‘These (shared zones) were implemented as some streets are very constrained, and there were issues such as insufficient footpath width, informal footpath parking, pedestrians walking on the road and insufficient road width for emergency vehicle access,’ they said.

‘This resulted in Council seeking to treat streets with line marked parking bays and 10km/h restrictions to make it safe to use the roadway for all road users.’

‘These facilities are approved through TfNSW, Traffic Committee and Council and have been rolled out over the last 20 years in our Council area.’

Key Takeaways

• Locals in Sydney's Inner West have expressed frustration over car spaces that obstruct footpaths and pose a safety risk to pedestrians.
  • Some have experienced near collisions due to the parking zone setup, pushing pedestrians onto the street.
  • Community member Rebecca Clements took to social media to share images of the car spaces infringing on footpaths.
  • Inner West Council has defended the parking setup, stating it is a 10km/h shared zone, and such spaces were implemented due to issues like insufficient footpath width and insufficient road width for emergency vehicle access.

View attachment 36761

Key Takeaways

How do wheel chairs get through. That means they have to use the road. Whilst the speed limit is 10Km/H, there are drivers who would be doing a lot more than that. Not good enough.

View attachment 36761

Key Takeaways

Great idea. If you don’t like the risk as a pedestrian go to an Asian country for a week and then come back and see if you still complain

View attachment 36761

Key Takeaways

I would like to ask a question as I use a mobility scooter, the law says in SA that I could be fined riding on a road with a footpath either side of the road, if cars are parked on the footpath blocking users of the footpath who would be breaking the law them or me?

Reactions: Buff
I would like to ask a question as I use a mobility scooter, the law says in SA that I could be fined riding on a road with a footpath either side of the road, if cars are parked on the footpath blocking users of the footpath who would be breaking the law them or me?
them

Depends on the local council by laws. What their rules are for parking on footpaths. I don’t think you are slowed to park on footpaths in sa. Check your local council and maybe even a depot at state level. Not sure which ones deal with it though.

Good question, wouldn’t like to challenge it in court, you never know which way it could go.

View attachment 36761

Key Takeaways

The more people that come to Australia
to live only complicate the system right
across the Board
Whilst parking is a problem, it is the least of the problem, everything else is
causing distress to everybody. We need
more Housing, more School's, Better and Safer Roads, A plan to do something about the Congestion on our Roads, Jobs for people, the Food to provide us with a good Standard of Healthy Living, And a reasonable Cost of the Food.
We need to address our need, of Good Hospitals anywhere people are Living

More ways of Transporting people to their Workplace at a reasonable cost.
and supplying areas for Relaxation and Sporting Areas where ever people are living.
The rising needs of the people.
The list of Essential Services it goes on and on.
The Cure of all these things comes back to don't have people coming into Australia unless we have all of the things to accommodate an influx of migrants here until everything is there for them

Reactions: Marj53

View attachment 36761

Key Takeaways

I think it is just dreadful. I cannot see how anyone on a mobility scooter could travel on that footpath. Council is in the wrong! It is very very dangerous expecting people to travel on a roadway. There will be accidents there for sure. Stepping out from behind a parked car is dangerous. It must be stopped!!!!!!

across the Board
more Housing, more School's, Better and Safer Roads, A plan to do something about the Congestion on our Roads, Jobs for people, the Food to provide us with a good Standard of Healthy Living, And a reasonable Cost of the Food.

and supplying areas for Relaxation and Sporting Areas where ever people are living.
The Cure of all these things comes back to don't have people coming into Australia unless we have all of the things to accommodate an influx of migrants here until everything is there for them

across the Board

The Cure of all these things comes back to don't have people coming into Australia unless we have all the things to accommodate bringing migrants here until everything is there for them. It only makes everything worse.

I think it is just dreadful. I cannot see how anyone on a mobility scooter could travel on that footpath. Council is in the wrong! It is very very dangerous expecting people to travel on a roadway. There will be accidents there for sure. Stepping out from behind a parked car is dangerous. It must be stopped!!!!!!
Agreed