Local IGA branch slapped with hefty fine for toying with expiry dates and violating food safety laws

We're all familiar with the issue of food waste. Most of us here have probably experienced buying something that we don't end up using or having items we thought would last longer spoil before we can finish them.

That's why it's our priority to make sure we get the most out of our food shopping—this involves carefully reading labels, planning meals, and being mindful of what we buy.

However, not all businesses act responsibly and consider the impact on their customers. Unfortunately, some disregard the factors that affect their customers' well-being.

A recent example of this misconduct involves an IGA branch—East Row, located near the Civic bus interchange in Canberra—which was taken to court due to its harmful and downright unsafe practices.

Screen Shot 2023-08-18 at 11.11.14 AM.png
CCTV vision showed workers removing expiry stickers and replacing them with new, extended dates. Credit: Shutterstock.

The investigations began in 2021 after multiple complaints about the store deliberately selling food past its expiry date piled up. This illegal activity mainly involved dairy products, dips, olives, gherkins, corn relish and soft drinks.

To make matters even worse, when authorities visited the store, they found that the owner had been trying to mask their violations by messing with the date labels. CCTV footage gathered from the store showed staff tampering with the dates.

Authorities also found a four-litre near-empty can of acetone—a substance used to make it easier to remove expiry and best-before dates from packaging—in the store.

ACT Health Protection Services' Environmental Health Officers discovered several concerning issues during an inspection of a store. The store lacked a Food Safety Supervisor, and they were preparing food in an unsanitary and unapproved room.

The area above the premises also lacked essential handwashing facilities and proper cooking, washing, and sanitising equipment, leading to an increased risk of contamination.

Legal action was taken, and Rising Wood Pty Ltd's Director, Abdullah Osman, admitted guilt to nine violations of the ACT Food Act during a court hearing at the ACT Magistrates Court in July. The branch was subsequently fined $16,500.

The store's manager, Javid Osman, also faced consequences and received a fine of $1,000 for obstructing the investigation.

Commenting on the situation, Dr Kerryn Coleman, the ACT Chief Health Officer, said: 'Removing or changing best-before and use-by labels can deceive and mislead the public into making uninformed decisions about the quality and safety of food at the time of purchase.'

'It can also prevent an effective recall of products by the manufacturer in the event of food safety concerns.'

Issuing a stern warning, Dr Coleman also declared that the ruling represents the start of a new chapter in food safety enforcement in the region.

She explained, 'ACT Health has a responsibility to protect public safety and ensure food businesses are operating in a way that does not pose a risk to the health of Canberrans.'

Key Takeaways

• The director of an IGA supermarket in Canberra has been fined $16,500 for serious breaches of food health and safety laws, including label tampering and intentionally selling food past its expiry date.
  • The court was presented with CCTV footage of staff removing and replacing use-by and best-before-date stickers, along with a near-empty can of acetone believed to have been used for this purpose.
  • Health officers found the store did not have a Food Safety Supervisor, was preparing food in unsanitary conditions, and lacked proper facilities and equipment, increasing the risk of contamination.
  • ACT Chief Health Officer Dr Kerryn Coleman stressed the importance of accurate food labelling for preventing deception and ensuring effective recalls in case of food safety concerns.

This story serves as a reminder for us to take food safety regulations seriously and to always be cautious about where we're getting our groceries. We strongly suggest you look past the price tag and consider the quality of your food. Also, make sure you check each item carefully and trust your instincts when it comes to buying fresh produce and checking expiration dates.

Be safe, members! And make sure you always check the food you’re buying in-store before purchasing it. What are your thoughts on this news? Let us know in the comments below.

Sponsored
Dare I ask what religion are they? I understand a certain cult does not believe in such regulations, as they are an impediment to their business. Australia does have a strict "Use By" and "Best Buy" that are important to good health, while many countries do not.

We're all familiar with the issue of food waste. Most of us here have probably experienced buying something that we don't end up using or having items we thought would last longer spoil before we can finish them.

That's why it's our priority to make sure we get the most out of our food shopping—this involves carefully reading labels, planning meals, and being mindful of what we buy.

However, not all businesses act responsibly and consider the impact on their customers. Unfortunately, some disregard the factors that affect their customers' well-being.

A recent example of this misconduct involves an IGA branch—East Row, located near the Civic bus interchange in Canberra—which was taken to court due to its harmful and downright unsafe practices.

View attachment 27729
CCTV vision showed workers removing expiry stickers and replacing them with new, extended dates. Credit: Shutterstock.

The investigations began in 2021 after multiple complaints about the store deliberately selling food past its expiry date piled up. This illegal activity mainly involved dairy products, dips, olives, gherkins, corn relish and soft drinks.

To make matters even worse, when authorities visited the store, they found that the owner had been trying to mask their violations by messing with the date labels. CCTV footage gathered from the store showed staff tampering with the dates.

Authorities also found a four-litre near-empty can of acetone—a substance used to make it easier to remove expiry and best-before dates from packaging—in the store.

ACT Health Protection Services' Environmental Health Officers discovered several concerning issues during an inspection of a store. The store lacked a Food Safety Supervisor, and they were preparing food in an unsanitary and unapproved room.

The area above the premises also lacked essential handwashing facilities and proper cooking, washing, and sanitising equipment, leading to an increased risk of contamination.

Legal action was taken, and Rising Wood Pty Ltd's Director, Abdullah Osman, admitted guilt to nine violations of the ACT Food Act during a court hearing at the ACT Magistrates Court in July. The branch was subsequently fined $16,500.

The store's manager, Javid Osman, also faced consequences and received a fine of $1,000 for obstructing the investigation.

Commenting on the situation, Dr Kerryn Coleman, the ACT Chief Health Officer, said: 'Removing or changing best-before and use-by labels can deceive and mislead the public into making uninformed decisions about the quality and safety of food at the time of purchase.'

'It can also prevent an effective recall of products by the manufacturer in the event of food safety concerns.'

Issuing a stern warning, Dr Coleman also declared that the ruling represents the start of a new chapter in food safety enforcement in the region.

She explained, 'ACT Health has a responsibility to protect public safety and ensure food businesses are operating in a way that does not pose a risk to the health of Canberrans.'

Key Takeaways

• The director of an IGA supermarket in Canberra has been fined $16,500 for serious breaches of food health and safety laws, including label tampering and intentionally selling food past its expiry date.
  • The court was presented with CCTV footage of staff removing and replacing use-by and best-before-date stickers, along with a near-empty can of acetone believed to have been used for this purpose.
  • Health officers found the store did not have a Food Safety Supervisor, was preparing food in unsanitary conditions, and lacked proper facilities and equipment, increasing the risk of contamination.
  • ACT Chief Health Officer Dr Kerryn Coleman stressed the importance of accurate food labelling for preventing deception and ensuring effective recalls in case of food safety concerns.

This story serves as a reminder for us to take food safety regulations seriously and to always be cautious about where we're getting our groceries. We strongly suggest you look past the price tag and consider the quality of your food. Also, make sure you check each item carefully and trust your instincts when it comes to buying fresh produce and checking expiration dates.

Be safe, members! And make sure you always check the food you’re buying in-store before purchasing it. What are your thoughts on this news? Let us know in the comments below.

These fines are not a deterrent, they are a joke (total 17,500) for putting human lives in jeopardy just to make a profit. Sorry but the minimum fine should have been Branch $160,500. and manager (personal fine) $10,000.

It’s not only IGA. Hubby bought a packet of pepitas at Woolies yesterday. The Best Before date was 22 May 2023. I realise it’s not a Use By, but it’s still almost three months out of date.
They sound like good Australian citizens I must remember shop there next time in Canberra.
Let me know when you’re going and I’ll come with you. 😉😊

Last edited:

View attachment 27729

Key Takeaways

Nothing to say their names give it away subcontinent breed, fines a bloody joke for putting human life in danger should have been one hundred thousand plus ➕they might eat 💩 in their own country not here 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

I wouldn't step inside another IGA after a recent experience. As well as price gouging, they are very reluctant to honour their own catalogue specials. They tried to charge full price for Birdseye Crumbed Fish when it was advertised as half price. The cashier tried to tell me that the catalogue had a misprint!

Well that was it. She, being a good "Australian" (term used very loosely) received a taste of my acid tongue and buckled to my rightful demand. Watch these sneaky buggers.

By the way, do they sell mushrooms? 😛

My working life was as a Food Microbiologist.
There has always been some confusion in regards to Use By and Best Before dates on packaging!
Foods Should NOT be eaten after the Use By date, and cannot legally be sold.
Best Before you can still eat foods for awhile after the best before, as they are “most likely” safe but may have lost some quality.
I personally do not eat anything past its best before date either!!
I donot think the punishment fits the crime in this instance…these are peoples lives being put in danger by greed.

Dare I ask what religion are they? I understand a certain cult does not believe in such regulations, as they are an impediment to their business. Australia does have a strict "Use By" and "Best Buy" that are important to good health, while many countries do not.
If they are running a business in Australia they need to know the law! People could get very very sick!

My working life was as a Food Microbiologist.
There has always been some confusion in regards to Use By and Best Before dates on packaging!
Foods Should NOT be eaten after the Use By date, and cannot legally be sold.
Best Before you can still eat foods for awhile after the best before, as they are “most likely” safe but may have lost some quality.
I personally do not eat anything past its best before date either!!
I donot think the punishment fits the crime in this instance…these are peoples lives being put in danger by greed.
Thanks for verifying my thoughts.

Reactions: Loubeauxarts
Thanks for verifying my thoughts.
Some businessess don't have that care factor - it's all about money, profit, that's more than a sad fact and it tells of how they really think of us & a country that has welcomed people from all cultures and given them more opportunities with business, housing, loans, cars etc. Be grateful and thankful that a new life in a great country has been able to be achieved and do not treat us like we are idiots in our own Country!
Not too mention tarnishing the name of australias IGA and putting our health at risk! if this is how they run a business - they should not be allowed to operate!

Let me get my maths right: the illegal activity involved dairy products, dips, olives, gherkins, corn relish and soft drinks: say 10 products with forged use by labelling. Each product had say 15 pieces on their supermarket shelves ready for sale. So, the business owner was basically fined $110 per product based on the $16,500 he had to pay. In simple terms, if I get terribly sick of it and die, my life is worth $110. Crikey !

Reactions: John.RS and Milica
Well they could be catholic, protestant, etc. take your pick. We have dishonest people from every culture and religion.

Reactions: Ezzy and Tamaya