Local Café Exposes the 'Entitled' Coffee Act That Has Customers in Uproar—Are You Guilty of It?

In a world where the hustle and bustle of daily life can sometimes get the better of us, it's important to remember the human element in our interactions, especially with those in the service industry. However, a recent incident at a local café in Melbourne's suburb of Hoppers Crossing serves as a stark reminder that patience and civility can sometimes be in short supply.

The café in question, Little Latte Drive Thru, has found itself at the center of a heated discussion after its owner, Ebony Spiteri, shared distressing CCTV footage online. The video captures a moment of shocking behavior from two customers that has left the community and the nation appalled.

The incident unfolded on a seemingly ordinary Sunday afternoon when a woman, apparently unable to wait a mere two minutes to be served, took her frustration out on an unsuspecting staff member. The footage shows the woman forcing her way into the café's serving window and throwing a cup of scalding coffee at the worker. The barista, caught off guard, is seen recoiling from the hot liquid, shaking it off her top in shock and pain.

compressed-latte 2.jpeg
A customer threw hot coffee on Little Latte Drive Thru's barista, and called the act as disrespectful towards workers. Image Credit: TikTok/Little Latte Drive Thru

The video, which has since gone viral, shows a second angle where the woman is handed her coffee before she hurls it through the window and hastily retreats. The community's reaction to this 'messed up' moment has been one of shock and disbelief. Comments have poured in from across the country, with many expressing their support for the staff member and their disgust at the customer's 'entitled' act.

In the aftermath of the attack, the café was forced to close temporarily, and both police and ambulance services were called to the scene. Thankfully, in a display of solidarity and compassion, other drive-thru customers stepped out of their vehicles to assist the shaken barista.

The café owner, Ebony, has since made a public appeal to help identify the woman responsible, emphasizing the importance of accountability and the safety of her staff. The overwhelming positive response from the community has been a silver lining for Ebony and her team, who have been heartened by the support and assistance in their quest for justice.

This incident raises important questions about the treatment of service workers and the expectations of customers. It's a stark reminder that behind every counter, there is a person deserving of respect and kindness. As members of the Seniors Discount Club, we understand the value of good manners and patience. We've seen the world change, but the principles of decency remain constant.

So, let's take this moment to reflect on our own behavior. Are we showing the kindness and patience we expect from others? Have we ever let our impatience get the better of us? It's never too late to make a positive change and treat those serving us with the respect they deserve.
Key Takeaways

• A café owner condemned the actions of two customers who assaulted a staff member with hot coffee at Little Latte Drive Thru in Hoppers Crossing.
  • The incident, caught on CCTV, occurred after a customer became impatient with the service time and threw her coffee at the staff member.
  • The community has shown strong support for the café and staff, and the owner is seeking public assistance to identify the woman responsible.
  • The café had to temporarily close, and both police and ambulance services were called to the scene of the attack.
We invite you to share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below. Have you witnessed similar acts of entitlement? How do you ensure that you treat service workers with the dignity they deserve? Let's use this unfortunate event as a catalyst for a broader conversation about civility in our daily lives.

Sponsored
I could not be nasty like that to anyone. These people serving us are not miracle workers. Have patience, how long would it take you to make yourself a cup of coffee. You need to wait while the kettle boils and guarantee it will take at least 1.5 minutes. People like that make me sick😡

Reactions: Ezzy and PattiB
Absolutely no need for this. In away it would be a relief if this person had a mental illness. The alternative is that they were sane and mean and knew exactly what they were doing and that is so much worse. Does that make sense? I know what I’m trying to say, just don’t know if I’ve used tge right words

There is no place for it but unfortunately it is becoming a way of life. Lack of respect being taught, shown and as the years go on, episodes like these become more common. Road rage is another example. It takes very little to trigger people but it can have catastrophic ramifications. We all need to take a breathe and think about what we are doing or about to do particularly those with anger management issues.

There is no place for it but unfortunately it is becoming a way of life. Lack of respect being taught, shown and as the years go on, episodes like these become more common. Road rage is another example. It takes very little to trigger people but it can have catastrophic ramifications. We all need to take a breathe and think about what we are doing or about to do particularly those with anger management issues.
I'm afraid most things have gone up the spout with kids or young adults these days. Used to be respect your elders, if a woman, someone pregnant or with a disability the young man would stand and give them a seat. They don't know what respect is.

Reactions: deni67 and Ezzy
I don't think it is us that need to take a breath, it's the younger ones. Hopefully we will act the way we were brought up. Although some older people act just as bad

Reactions: Ezzy and PattiB
My daughter worked in hospitality for many years, she was fairly lucky had the occasional rude customer. One time my daughter being like he mother. Had a lady approach the counter. My daughter asked how can l help you Love? Well the woman turned around and said. Don't call me Love, l am not your Love. Truely l maybe wrong but l see that as a term of endearment and respect.
My daughter was lucky never to be assaulted like the poor lady in this story. Just unacceptable.
Kind regards to all Vicki

I don't think it is us that need to take a breath, it's the younger ones. Hopefully we will act the way we were brought up. Although some older people act just as bad
I don't know but we were brought up to treat people the way we would like to be treated. That's gone out the window.

I work in aged care and we are unable to call residents love or sweetheart. As the powers to be say they are not your love ect. It's respect to the person.
My goodness l would be sacked on my first day. Gee l must upset and disrepect every person l come across on my daily walk. I say morning darling or morning love. I did get a telling off by an older man the other week going into the dr's as l use crutches the man was kindly opening the door for me. He said come on. I said thank you darling that was very kind. He grumbled back. Don't call me darling 🤭
Really how can it be disrespectful to use words like love or darling. The world is now such a harsh place.
Kind regards Vicki

An insane act by that woman. The consequences for the Barista could surely have been blindness or scarring from the hot liquid in her eyes, scarring from burns to her face, without thinking what this has done emotionally to her.
Tis a pity one or two of those people in the drive thru line didn't follow that woman or do a CITIZEN'S ARREST. ( I knew a minister of religion who sat on a person who had been causing trouble when he came for a food parcel, until the Police arrived ).

While on one ship years ago, while working as the ships Tiger? I had some prat started snapping his bloody fingers, I went to him and asked him if he wanted me to Bark or Piss on him. Needless to say I was demoted to the black gang!!
A person after my own heart. And the BLACK GANG sound like a great place to be. I can remember once back in the late 70's (I was 17/18 at the time) working at an upper-class restaurant a male customer thought it was ok to place his hand on the lower part of my backside (cupping we used to call it). Sad thing was I was trying to put his hot soup down at the time. Yep, the soup ended up in his lap and I ended up being demoted to cleaning dishes for a month. Best month I had in a long time.