Lives Lost: Underwater wreckage reveals the tragic fate of 'True Explorers'

The team here at the Seniors Discount Club have been following this story incredibly close all week, as we are sure you have too. We have chosen not to report on it, with hope that by yesterday (Thursday, 22 June) the five people that were in the OceanGate Expedition submarine would be found. However, that hasn’t been the case.

Screenshot 2023-06-23 at 10.16.33 am.png
The Titan submersible seats five people. Image source: Nine News / AP.

It is with heavy hearts that we bring you the tragic news that five people, described as 'True Explorers', were killed in the deep-sea tragedy while attempting to view the wreckage of the Titanic, the infamous vessel that sank in 1912 on its maiden voyage, claiming over 1,500 lives. To this day, the Titanic remains a symbol of maritime tragedy and the risks embedded in our efforts to conquer the unknown.

The submarine, named Titan, carried OceanGate CEO Stockton Rush, British adventurer and billionaire Hamish Harding, Pakistani businessman Shahzada Dawood and his son Suleman, as well as French explorer and Titanic expert Paul-Henry Nargeolet.

As part of their deep-sea exploration, the crew made use of cutting-edge technology and equipment designed to withstand the immense pressures and challenges of the ocean's depths.

Titan went missing in the Atlantic Ocean on Sunday, and its disappearance triggered a massive, multi-day international search. It has been announced that in the early hours of the morning, the searchers found debris near the wreck of the Titanic and, later in the day, confirmed it belonged to the missing submarine.

It is now believed that the sub suffered a 'catastrophic' implosion, taking the lives of all five explorers on board.

Friends, family, and colleagues are mourning the loss and paying tribute to these passionate, driven adventurers. The president of The Explorers Club, Richard Garriott de Cayeux, expressed his grief in a heartfelt statement.

‘Hamish Harding is a dear friend to me personally and to The Explorers Club. He holds several world records and has continued to push dragons off maps both in person and through supporting expeditions and worthy causes,’ de Cayeux said.

The Explorers Club is a prestigious organisation of explorers and scientists, responsible for some of the most daring and ground-breaking expeditions in history. Its members have ventured to the North and South poles, the moon, the deepest parts of the ocean, and even the highest peaks of the Himalayas.

Garriott de Cayeux thanked those who were involved in the rescue mission and the many who mobilised resources in support of the search and rescue efforts. He particularly mentioned Harding and Nargeolet's ties to The Explorers Club, praising them for their continuous work to advance science and human understanding.

Stockton Rush, CEO and chairman of OceanGate, was credited as a friend of The Explorers Club. Shahzada Dawood and his son Suleman were acknowledged as passionate family explorers who would have found their way to the club at some point, where they would have been welcomed with open arms.

OceanGate, the company that operated the submarine and carried out the expedition, remembered the individuals as 'true explorers who shared a distinct spirit of adventure, and a deep passion for exploring and protecting the world's oceans.'

The harrowing incident serves as a reminder of the risks involved in uncovering the mysteries of our world. It also highlights the importance of adhering to strict safety measures and protocols when embarking on such adventurous expeditions.

The five individuals who lost their lives aboard Titan shared a common dream, and our thoughts go out to their families, friends, and the community of explorers who continue to push the boundaries, seeking answers and new discoveries.

What do you think of this story, members? Have you been following the breaking news on this story too? We’d love to hear your thoughts and opinions in the comments section below.

Sponsored
I don’t think the craft was cutting edge! Against much advice it was experimental and in someways sloppily assembled ! It was a vast amount of money spent to explore something that has been declared a monument and should remain as a symbol to those who died on the Titanic.
May those five rest in peace but let’s not hail them as true explorers!

Condolences to families, friends. Billionaires I would say tend to think the same rules we adhere to don't apply to them. Sad way to find out the truth. It was their choice to go. In the name of science? More in the name of ego if truth be told. Rest in peace gentlemen. May others learn from your legacy.

The team here at the Seniors Discount Club have been following this story incredibly close all week, as we are sure you have too. We have chosen not to report on it, with hope that by yesterday (Thursday, 22 June) the five people that were in the OceanGate Expedition submarine would be found. However, that hasn’t been the case.

View attachment 23137

It is with heavy hearts that we bring you the tragic news that five people, described as 'True Explorers', were killed in the deep-sea tragedy while attempting to view the wreckage of the Titanic, the infamous vessel that sank in 1912 on its maiden voyage, claiming over 1,500 lives. To this day, the Titanic remains a symbol of maritime tragedy and the risks embedded in our efforts to conquer the unknown.

The submarine, named Titan, carried OceanGate CEO Stockton Rush, British adventurer and billionaire Hamish Harding, Pakistani businessman Shahzada Dawood and his son Suleman, as well as French explorer and Titanic expert Paul-Henry Nargeolet.

As part of their deep-sea exploration, the crew made use of cutting-edge technology and equipment designed to withstand the immense pressures and challenges of the ocean's depths.

Titan went missing in the Atlantic Ocean on Sunday, and its disappearance triggered a massive, multi-day international search. It has been announced that in the early hours of the morning, the searchers found debris near the wreck of the Titanic and, later in the day, confirmed it belonged to the missing submarine.

It is now believed that the sub suffered a 'catastrophic' implosion, taking the lives of all five explorers on board.

Friends, family, and colleagues are mourning the loss and paying tribute to these passionate, driven adventurers. The president of The Explorers Club, Richard Garriott de Cayeux, expressed his grief in a heartfelt statement.

‘Hamish Harding is a dear friend to me personally and to The Explorers Club. He holds several world records and has continued to push dragons off maps both in person and through supporting expeditions and worthy causes,’ de Cayeux said.

The Explorers Club is a prestigious organisation of explorers and scientists, responsible for some of the most daring and ground-breaking expeditions in history. Its members have ventured to the North and South poles, the moon, the deepest parts of the ocean, and even the highest peaks of the Himalayas.

Garriott de Cayeux thanked those who were involved in the rescue mission and the many who mobilised resources in support of the search and rescue efforts. He particularly mentioned Harding and Nargeolet's ties to The Explorers Club, praising them for their continuous work to advance science and human understanding.

Stockton Rush, CEO and chairman of OceanGate, was credited as a friend of The Explorers Club. Shahzada Dawood and his son Suleman were acknowledged as passionate family explorers who would have found their way to the club at some point, where they would have been welcomed with open arms.

OceanGate, the company that operated the submarine and carried out the expedition, remembered the individuals as 'true explorers who shared a distinct spirit of adventure, and a deep passion for exploring and protecting the world's oceans.'

The harrowing incident serves as a reminder of the risks involved in uncovering the mysteries of our world. It also highlights the importance of adhering to strict safety measures and protocols when embarking on such adventurous expeditions.

The five individuals who lost their lives aboard Titan shared a common dream, and our thoughts go out to their families, friends, and the community of explorers who continue to push the boundaries, seeking answers and new discoveries.

What do you think of this story, members? Have you been following the breaking news on this story too? We’d love to hear your thoughts and opinions in the comments section below.

Thank you for your highly respectful and informative report of this tragedy.

I think they did not enough research about going down on the ocean floor , nearly 4 km down . It was a big prize to pay and unfortunately it was only one way . Hopefully their loved ones will know , they died what they loved to do I guess.Hope they did not suffer and may they RIP.

Agree with Galah46. The incident was an implosion, meaning that the external pressure was greater than the internal pressure, causing the hull to crumple inwards. An equivalent vehicle should have been constructed and the hull fully tested at the required depth before risking human lives. Yes, it would have been very expensive but lives were at stake and they would have been aware of that. Totally irresponsible!

View attachment 23137

Very sad and traumatic end for those involved. I dont think it should have been built without complying to strict Standards that apply to other submersible craft. It was negligent in my view and those involved must now be held to account for this disaster and the lives so needlessly lost.

Very sad for family and friends.

They all knew it wasn't safe.

What I don't understand was why the Pakistani took his young son knowing how dangerous it was.

Apparently the implosion happened not long after it started diving down.

I was listening to a retired naval officer this morning, and he made a comment saying he even questioned the tapping noise they said they were hearing , he said it would have been impossible to hear a tapping noise from inside the submarine.

I hope this company is closed down before there are more lives lost.

I wonder who will pay for the huge cost of the rescue .

Totally idiotic and irresponsible

I just heard the interview the aunt of the young boy gave , and she said he was very nervous and had a bad feeling, the only reason he went was too keep his dad happy who was a big titanic fanatic. His life was taken too soon and so very unnecessary

Last edited:
So sad. The sciences behind this expedition were extensive plus the construction was impeccable. Like many things humans do it was dangerous but that is the nature of exploration. If the moon landing had ended in devastation (which could easily have happened) then the critics would have gone into "I told you so" mode which is what I am seeing here. What is also sad is that we seem to be leaving exploration to a small few as time passes. Shame on the critics, especially the ones here. I say a toast to their memory and celebrate their enthusiasm to broaden their outlook and try to take humans to a better level of understanding of their surroundings. I trust these fine explorers will find peace and continue in our thoughts. RIP.

Hello everyone, My heart breaks for all the families mourning their loss.
The Titanic should be allowed to rest in peace. Please leave the Titanic alone. This is an ocean tragedy.
I will pray for all those souls that lost their lives on the Titanic. I will pray for The five souls that lost theirs lives in a tragic way. Bye everbody. be kind to yourself

View attachment 23137

This news somehow touched me deeply and I just couldn’t get these five people out of my mind all week. Just the horrible thought that they were trapped under water in the darkness whilst most of the billions of us on the surface could do nothing to help but pray. Sad news indeed.

View attachment 23137

Very big stretch calling them true explorers, they were billionaire's spending their money on outrageous adventures, nothing more. What is tragic is the lives lost in the bus crash of last week, that is worth our tears, prayers and thoughts.

View attachment 23137

It is so sad I feel for the families of thoes who have died our prayers are for them

Reactions: Mr Chips
The men who were on this expedition to the Titanic were not doing anything that had not already been done quite a lot of times. The world only heard about them because their adventure did not go as expected. Now might be the time to let the Titanic and all who lost their lives to Rest In Peace for good, especially if the bodies of these five men cannot be recovered and they become another chapter to the Titanic story. Hopefully their families will be left in peace to mourn their loss. My condolences and thoughts go out to them.

View attachment 23137