Listen Now: John Farnham's incredible first words after epic battle with mouth cancer!

Fans of a legendary Australian singer are buzzing with excitement as his voice has been heard for the first time following a gruelling health battle.

Known for his powerful vocals and heartfelt performances, the Aussie icon has long been a cherished figure in the music industry.

His recent return to the spotlight offers a glimpse of hope and resilience, reminding everyone of the enduring strength of his artistry and the support of his devoted fanbase.

John Farnham, the legendary Australian singer whose voice has been a defining sound of the nation's music scene, has made a triumphant return to the spotlight.

After a harrowing journey through a severe health crisis, Farnham's voice is being heard for the first time since his marathon mouth cancer surgery.

And it's a moment of celebration for fans across the country and beyond.

435286832_956543269169114_2620043846172487786_n.jpg
Legendary Australian singer John Farnham's voice has been heard for the first time in over two years following his intense mouth cancer surgery. Credit: Facebook / John Farnham

In a testament to his enduring spirit and resilience, the 74-year-old icon is ready to share his story with the world more than two years after the extensive surgery that removed a cancerous tumour from his mouth.

The music community and fans alike have been eagerly awaiting news of his recovery, and now, they received the heartwarming update they've been hoping for.

Farnham, now cancer-free, has taken on the task of narrating the audiobook version of his forthcoming memoir, The Voice Inside.

Publisher Hachette Australia has released a small preview of the audiobook, giving listeners a chance to hear one of Australia's most beloved voices once again.

Though his voice may sound slightly different post-treatment, the warmth and character that have long defined Farnham's vocal presence are unmistakable.

In the preview, Farnham shared his thoughts on penning his memoirs, revealing a candid side of himself that fans may not have seen before.

‘I don't enjoy talking about myself, I really don't. Don't get me wrong, I'm an egomaniac, but dredging up the past is just not something I've ever really enjoyed,’ he admits in the recording.

The singer’s honesty and vulnerability are palpable as he continues, ‘I'll try and share as much as I can, but that's not easy because I've never really been that open. I guess there are reasons for that. Reasons for my reluctance…’

The journey to this point has been a private one for Farnham, who has largely stayed out of the public eye since his cancer diagnosis was announced in August 2022.

Following the announcement, he underwent a 12-hour surgery that included jaw reconstruction to remove the tumour.

Over the subsequent year, Farnham underwent additional procedures and, in a heartening update, shared with his fans that he was ‘cancer-free’.

In June, Farnham gave fans a rare glimpse into his life away from the stage as he attended the wedding of his son, Rob, and Rob's bride, Melissa.

Throughout his recovery, his family, including his sons Rob and James and his wife Jill, have been instrumental in keeping the public informed about the singer's health.

Adding a personal touch to the memoir, Jill Farnham has contributed two chapters to The Voice Inside and will narrate them herself, offering her own perspective on their shared life and John's battle with cancer.

Vanessa Radnidge, Hachette Australia’s Head of Literary, shared that there had been uncertainty about whether Farnham would be able to narrate his memoirs due to the effects of his cancer treatment.

Earlier this year, when we announced John Farnham was writing his memoir with the help of Poppy Stockell, many fans eagerly asked if he would record the audiobook himself. At the time, we could not provide an answer, and I honestly did not think it would be possible,’ she explained.

‘But John is a born entertainer, and he never wants to disappoint his fans. Despite the challenges posed by surgery and radiation, John dedicated many hours in the studio to record his book in his own voice. Now, I cannot imagine anyone else narrating it.’

Radnidge described Farnham's narration as a ‘delight’.

‘The heart, emotion, and showmanship are all there. So are the laughs, the giggles, and the tears,’ she added.

The audiobook edition of The Voice Inside is set to be released on October 30, and it's sure to be a poignant and inspiring listen for anyone who has followed John Farnham's career or faced their own battles with adversity.
Key Takeaways
  • Legendary Australian singer John Farnham's voice has been heard for the first time after more than two years since his gruelling mouth cancer surgery, as he's set to narrate his memoir, The Voice Inside.
  • Farnham, now 74 and cancer-free, reveals the challenges he faced in writing his memoirs and his reluctance to dredge up the past in a preview of the audiobook.
  • The audiobook's release was uncertain due to the effects of Farnham's surgery and treatment, but he dedicated many hours in the studio to ensure he could narrate it himself.
  • John's wife, Jill Farnham, contributed to the memoir by writing and narrating two chapters, while Vanessa Radnidge of Hachette Australia praised Farnham's narration as capturing the heart, emotion, and showmanship of his story.
Members of the Seniors Discount Club, we invite you to share your memories of John Farnham's music and your thoughts on his courageous fight against cancer. Have you or a loved one faced a similar battle? How did you find strength and hope during those challenging times? Let's come together in the comments below to celebrate the power of resilience and the healing nature of sharing our stories.

Sponsored