Lisa Millar departs from ABC News Breakfast after five years

The TV industry's ever-changing nature saw us saying goodbye to popular presenters.

It also introduced us to new talents ready to take on their seniors' mantles.

A familiar face on ABC News Breakfast made a surprising announcement after dedicating half of a decade to the show.

Lisa Millar announced her departure from the show effective next month, August 23.

This announcement marked the end of an era for the morning program.

During a heartfelt segment on Wednesday's show, Millar reflected on her time with the program.

compressed-lisa millar.jpeg
Lisa Millar posted a heartfelt statement on social media about her future outside ABC News Breakfast. Image Credit: Instagram/Lisa Millar

'What a blast the past five years has been, whether it was interviewing prime ministers and global thought leaders or getting karaoke encouragement from my childhood idol Gladys Knight,' she recounted.

'In my 35 years of journalism, I've never done anything so exciting, unpredictable, and fun. It only worked because of the awesome team in front of the cameras and behind the scenes, which kept me laughing.'

Millar joined the network in 1993 and became one of ABC's longest-serving foreign correspondents.

She also served as a Bureau Chief in both the United States and Europe.

Her journalistic prowess and dedication to her craft have made her a respected figure in the industry.

Despite retiring from morning duties, Millar will not leave the channel altogether.

'I'm going to be having more adventures with Back Roads and Muster Dogs. Muster Dogs keeps getting bigger and bigger. So much to do, and exciting new projects,' Millar explained.

Her time on ABC News Breakfast also saw her in challenging situations.

Millar faced a wave of controversy last year when her choice of attire—a skirt with a high split—sparked a debate on social media.

The incident occurred close to International Women's Day, and Millar expressed her dismay at the time.

'The fact that what I wore on Monday attracted obnoxious commentary, foul, disgusting personal abuse that I wouldn't and couldn't repeat here—it was upsetting.'

She continued, 'I am angry on this International Women's Day. Angry on behalf of myself and also on behalf of other women who see those stories and see someone like me abused day after day, for whatever reason bullies can find.'

Despite the backlash, Millar received an outpouring of support, which gave her hope and reinforced her commitment to being a woman in the public eye.

Justin Stevens, Director of ABC News, expressed his admiration for Millar.

'Lisa Millar is a superb journalist and broadcaster who personifies the very best values and attributes of ABC journalists,' he said.

'While we're sad to lose her from News, I'm excited to see her take up this opportunity and continue to go from strength to strength at the ABC.'

Millar's departure is a significant change for ABC News Breakfast, but her legacy as a co-host will undoubtedly remain.
Key Takeaways

• Lisa Millar announced her departure from ABC News Breakfast after a five-year stint as co-host.
  • She revealed her next chapter will involve working on other ABC projects, including Back Roads and Muster Dogs.
  • She faced a controversial moment last year involving her clothing, drawing social media criticism.
  • ABC News Director Justin Stevens commended Millar's professionalism and contribution to the network and looked forward to her new projects.
What are your thoughts on Lisa Millar's departure from ABC News Breakfast? Share your favourite moments from her and your well-wishes for her in the comments below.

Sponsored