Letter to ‘Mr Bean’ exposes shocking closure of BankSA branch

In the picturesque coastal town of Kingston, South Australia, a storm of discontent was stirred by the impending closure of a major bank branch.

The controversy was further fuelled by an email from the bank to the local council, addressed to a 'Mr Bean'.

The only problem? There is no Mr Bean at the council chambers.

The blunder was revealed in a letter penned by Kingston District Council’s then-Chief Executive, Nat Traeger, to the parliamentary inquiry examining bank closures in rural Australia last year.

'We certainly have no Mr Bean working here,' Traeger wrote.

'The fact that they couldn’t even get the salutation to such an important item of correspondence correct speaks volumes about the bank closure process.'

masaaki-komori-iaSzwYccV28-unsplash.jpg
Another major bank closed its doors, prompting Kingston locals to write an email to the council addressed to ‘Mr Bean’. Credit: Unsplash

The manner in which banks inform towns about impending closures has been a contentious issue in the long-running inquiry.

Evidence suggested a lack of direct consultation and notices sent to generic council emails.

During a council-run workshop on the closure process, Kingston residents expressed feelings of being 'undervalued', 'dismissed' and ‘angry, powerless, and voiceless in the decision'.

The Senate committee convened in Kingston on Wednesday, 21 February, to continue gathering evidence on how the rapid closure of banks has impacted communities and local economies.

According to data from the Australian Prudential Regulation Authority, nearly 800 country branches have shut their doors across the nation since June 2017.

Major banks have been accused of abandoning their customers following continued branch closures across the country.

In early February, NAB announced plans to close 13 branches for 2024, while Bankwest will shut down two more.

Twenty-three Westpac branches across Australia closed in 2023.

Meanwhile, Australia and New Zealand Banking Group (ANZ) has closed 403 branches over the past decade. Of this figure, 17 were closed in 2023.

Major banks have justified these closures to the Senate committee by citing the rapid adoption of online banking, along with a decline in cash transactions and foot traffic, as reasons for many branches no longer being viable.

The South Australian hearing heard testimonies on how these closures have forced rural residents to travel hundreds of kilometres to manage their finances, strained small businesses, and further marginalised vulnerable individuals.

BankSA, part of the Westpac group, has temporarily halted the closure of its Kingston branch.

Ian Hart, the current chief executive of Kingston District Council, expresses dismay and disbelief at the decision.

'I can’t believe that a community like Kingston is losing them that much money, they feel they can’t support it,' Hart said.

'What is the social contract between the bank and the community they’re serving?'

The Murray River town of Mannum experienced the closure of its last bank, a BankSA branch, and an ATM just as floods hit in December 2022.

Resident Cathy Clemow spearheaded 'Bank 4 Mannum', mobilising the community to vocalise the challenges they faced post-closure—from business owners forced to leave shops unattended to execute banking tasks to the daily battle with unreliable internet, impeding the transition to online banking solutions.

'BankSA deserted Mannum when it was struggling the most,' Clemow wrote in her submission.

Several submissions highlighted that elderly and vulnerable people were disadvantaged after a bank closed because they weren’t capable of using digital services or couldn’t afford internet access.

A study led by RMIT University found regional bank closures removed face-to-face services in areas where there was the highest need.

The inquiry is scheduled to report back to parliament in May.
Key Takeaways
  • Kingston's local residents expressed their frustration and feeling of powerlessness when BankSA announced the closure of its branch in the community.
  • The closure of nearly 800 country branches since June 2017 has severely impacted local economies and community access to financial services in rural Australia.
  • The Senate committee is examining the effects of bank closures on communities, especially in terms of travel distances for banking, impact on businesses, and marginalisation of vulnerable people.
  • Despite a temporary pause on its closure, there is a demand for clarity on the future of BankSA's Kingston branch and a discussion on the bank's social contract with the communities it serves.
What are your thoughts on this issue, dear readers? Have you been affected by a bank closure in your area? Share your experiences and opinions in the comments below.

Sponsored
Well I guess I’m lucky as I only have to travel 9kms to my bank ANZ, which is not easy for me. I stopped using cash during Covid, but I do my banking via an app. I’ve now decided I will go back to cash, as I disagree with closing of banks and the thought of not having cash.

Until this lazy government gets off its Bum and declares Legal Cash no longer available then all these banks should be forced to stay open even for 2 or 3 days a week. This would allow people in country areas to access their cash and banking when required. For people living in some remote country areas going into town to their bank is a way to have contact with other people and know what is happening around the town. Also, the internet is not available or unreliable in most country areas and the government does not appear to be doing anything about it.

Cash is king....it is always there and available, you can buy/pay anything with cash..Ukraine found that out when power stations were targeted by Putin, electricity shut down, no functioning ATM's...no machines to take cards in stores means.... no food, no petrol, no medicines, we will have to go back to the bartering system.... GP visit will now cost: 5 Chickens, 1 Sheep and 2 boxes of veggies.... our Federal Minister for Energy has already predicted that 'Australians will have to get use to energy shut-downs' until all the infrastructure is up and running for 'green energy', clever boy, he is the only person who knows where the gum tree with the 'turn back time dial is' and he won't tell. Banks are now running this Country so I guess we won't need Canberra any more..... Parliament House will be a great place to hold 21st birthday parties and wedding receptions...

And what is really annoying is when your local netball club, footy club or any other community group wants to open a new bank account and the bank which holds your accounts, and which closed its doors in your small country town, insists that the signatories of the new account have to travel to whichever branch in another town that hasn't yet been closed, to be identified and demonstrate their signatures in front of a bank officer. Sheer mindless bureaucracy, clearly disadvantaging small community groups.

It's bad enough they close branches, but to remove ATM's is a disgrace. To put in private ones where they charge between $2 to $4 is also a disgrace. It's saying to it's customers, your money is ours and you can't touch it. Stop using internet banking as an excuse, many people especially the elderly are not computer literate. You are only catering to your needs and not the customer.

The warnings re a cashless society have been around for a long time now. Don't expect any help from the Government or the banks, between them they want total control and bugger any who get hurt in the process.

I find it amusing that banks don't seem to "close" branches, they relocate them. A few years ago, I was in Mannum and walked past a bank branch that had closed not long before. The sign on the door read:
"Dear Customers, For your convenience, this branch has been relocated to Murray Bridge. Thankyou for banking with XXXXXXXXXX"
For some reason the bank considered it convenient for customers to "relocate" the local town branch to an existing branch in the regional city, 30 Km away.

• Wow
Reactions: LeahI
Well I guess I’m lucky as I only have to travel 9kms to my bank ANZ, which is not easy for me. I stopped using cash during Covid, but I do my banking via an app. I’ve now decided I will go back to cash, as I disagree with closing of banks and the thought of not having cash.
Unfortunately this is the way forward. Unless we go back to using cash, The banks will continue to use us as their employees & charge us for the service. CASH IS KING. I unfortunately passed my mobile number on to a hacker., via my friends f/book message. Thank goodness I have no need for my card for a few weeks until this settles down.

Reactions: summadale
If we the people, push back and return to going into banks and using cash as much as we can, the banks will have no choice but to re-open branches. They are just taking advantage of the way we were all forced to use digital banking during COVID as justification for closures. We all need to decide what is most important......managing our own finances in a way that best suits us, or giving into the push for digital banking on the grounds of convenience.

If we the people, push back and return to going into banks and using cash as much as we can, the banks will have no choice but to re-open branches. They are just taking advantage of the way we were all forced to use digital banking during COVID as justification for closures. We all need to decide what is most important......managing our own finances in a way that best suits us, or giving into the push for digital banking on the grounds of convenience.
Very strange we (AUSTRALIA) are the biggest consumer of CARD society! Countries in Europe use cash. Asia, Malayasia, many more. Not all are 3rd world countries either. CASH IS KING. Saved me today with NO CARD! Small business dogs got groomed, shopped in Woolies, Newsagents to by birthday card & wrap all paid in cash.

It's bad enough they close branches, but to remove ATM's is a disgrace. To put in private ones where they charge between $2 to $4 is also a disgrace. It's saying to it's customers, your money is ours and you can't touch it. Stop using internet banking as an excuse, many people especially the elderly are not computer literate. You are only catering to your needs and not the customer.
Exactly, the big 4 banks do not value customer service, they are interested in huge profits only.