Let's talk about spring onions - should you buy them or grow your own?

Have you ever gone to the supermarket, picked up a bundle of spring onions and thought - why do I always have to buy these in such large bunches?

That’s exactly what one shopper asked on Reddit recently, lamenting the large quantities of spring onions they have to buy when they’re living alone.

The customer wrote on their post: 'Why do we have to buy Spring Onions in such large bundles?'

'I live alone and am cooking for one, I really don’t need this many stalks that are just going to wilt and go bad in the fridge.'

img_20230122_110320.jpg
One shopper questioned why spring onions are being sold in large quantities per bundle. Credit: Reddit.

On one hand, many shoppers agreed with the idea and said that it would be more economical to get to know your local greengrocers and compare prices/quality, plus have the opportunity for ‘flexible’ quantities that better cater to one’s needs.

On the other hand, many said that it was actually more practical to plant spring onions, rather than purchase them from the supermarket.

'They are probably one of the veggies that make sense for me growing at home', one commenter wrote.

Others advised on how best to go about growing your own spring onions, with some providing detailed tips on how to do it without particularly having a green thumb.

One user suggested: 'Chop the tops off & plant (garden or pot).'

'Put a bit of liquid fertiliser in there every now and then and they grow forever,' another advised.

pexels-photo-7225488.jpeg

Many people claim that growing your own spring onions is more practical than buying them from supermarkets. Credit: Pexels/Eva Bronzini.

Of course, with any type of plant-growing endeavour, an interesting debate soon ensued. Mainly, whether one should put the cuttings in water or transfer them to a pot of soil.

Those who said they need to be transferred to a soiled pot reported that the plant will 'rot' after a few weeks in a jar, while others claimed that spring onions 'grow just fine in a jar or small vase'.

One person said: 'Soil is optional. Spring onions grow just fine in a jar or small vase.'

But another user argued: 'After a few weeks in water only they rot.'

'This, use good soil as it will affect the taste. But that is 100% true I have planted 3 and haven’t bought spring onions in years,' claimed another.

One user shared their experience on how easy it is to grow your own spring onions on a pot of soil.

One comment read: 'I planted the bottom piece of an onion. I never watered it, it was in the shade, but outside. It's literally in a 6-inch pot. I literally never look at it.'

'But that plant keeps growing like 2 feet tall. Every single summer. It grows green tips that you can eat.'

'Apparently, those are called scapes. You’ll see them growing from garlic or onion if you leave it on the counter long enough. They have a similar taste to the vegetable they’re emerging from, but more delicate.'

Key Takeaways

• Many shoppers find it too wasteful to have to buy spring onions from supermarkets in large bundles.
  • Other shoppers suggested that you can grow your own spring onions from scraps.
  • Some suggested that you can leave the cuttings of the onion spring exclusively on water, while others argued that it has to be transferred to a pot of soil.
  • Growing spring onions in soil will affect the taste of the vegetable and many found success by planting the bottom piece and leaving it in a 6-inch pot without having to water it.

There you have it, folks! Next time you’re shopping for spring onions, why not try out this nifty trick for growing your own? Not only can it save you money, but it also adds a sense of pride and satisfaction to what you’re cooking — it’s definitely worth a try!

Have you tried growing your own spring onions? If you did, what’s the most interesting way you’ve grown your own spring onions? Tell us in the comments below and share any other tips or insights you may have.

Sponsored
Haven’t tried spring onions as am not that fond of them, but I did plant some of those kalettes that Coles sold last year. Apparently they’re a cross between kale and Brussels sprouts. Anyway, they have taken well and I pick off leaves as I want them to go in mixed salad. Nice and tender and add a bit of crunch to the a baby spinach. I’ve also regrown celery, bok choi, cabbage and some of the cut herbs.

To grow spring onions in a jar, you need about 3cm of the white part. Do not fully submerge in water. You need to change the water every day. It needs a sunny spot but not too hot or warm.

Reactions: Ricci
try any of the pick and come again herbs and vegetables. I kept lettuce going for almost 12 months. When a couple bolted to seed I left them and up they came. I also picked out the mini tomatoes that I liked the flavours of the best. Let them totally ripen on the window sill then quashed them on a bit of paper towel. I planted that in the garden.....I have not bought a tomato plant for 2 years. No spraying, no staking....they run amok and then I pull them out and up they come again. This worked well with a small delicious roma tomato too.

try any of the pick and come again herbs and vegetables. I kept lettuce going for almost 12 months. When a couple bolted to seed I left them and up they came. I also picked out the mini tomatoes that I liked the flavours of the best. Let them totally ripen on the window sill then quashed them on a bit of paper towel. I planted that in the garden.....I have not bought a tomato plant for 2 years. No spraying, no staking....they run amok and then I pull them out and up they come again. This worked well with a small delicious roma tomato too.
Can it be done for iceberg lettuce? My neighbour grows different types of lettuce that she gives me, but not fond of them because they are thick, bitter leaves.

Have you ever gone to the supermarket, picked up a bundle of spring onions and thought - why do I always have to buy these in such large bunches?

That’s exactly what one shopper asked on Reddit recently, lamenting the large quantities of spring onions they have to buy when they’re living alone.

The customer wrote on their post: 'Why do we have to buy Spring Onions in such large bundles?'

'I live alone and am cooking for one, I really don’t need this many stalks that are just going to wilt and go bad in the fridge.'

View attachment 12122
One shopper questioned why spring onions are being sold in large quantities per bundle. Credit: Reddit.

On one hand, many shoppers agreed with the idea and said that it would be more economical to get to know your local greengrocers and compare prices/quality, plus have the opportunity for ‘flexible’ quantities that better cater to one’s needs.

On the other hand, many said that it was actually more practical to plant spring onions, rather than purchase them from the supermarket.

'They are probably one of the veggies that make sense for me growing at home', one commenter wrote.

Others advised on how best to go about growing your own spring onions, with some providing detailed tips on how to do it without particularly having a green thumb.

One user suggested: 'Chop the tops off & plant (garden or pot).'

'Put a bit of liquid fertiliser in there every now and then and they grow forever,' another advised.

pexels-photo-7225488.jpeg

Many people claim that growing your own spring onions is more practical than buying them from supermarkets. Credit: Pexels/Eva Bronzini.

Of course, with any type of plant-growing endeavour, an interesting debate soon ensued. Mainly, whether one should put the cuttings in water or transfer them to a pot of soil.

Those who said they need to be transferred to a soiled pot reported that the plant will 'rot' after a few weeks in a jar, while others claimed that spring onions 'grow just fine in a jar or small vase'.

One person said: 'Soil is optional. Spring onions grow just fine in a jar or small vase.'

But another user argued: 'After a few weeks in water only they rot.'

'This, use good soil as it will affect the taste. But that is 100% true I have planted 3 and haven’t bought spring onions in years,' claimed another.

One user shared their experience on how easy it is to grow your own spring onions on a pot of soil.

One comment read: 'I planted the bottom piece of an onion. I never watered it, it was in the shade, but outside. It's literally in a 6-inch pot. I literally never look at it.'

'But that plant keeps growing like 2 feet tall. Every single summer. It grows green tips that you can eat.'

'Apparently, those are called scapes. You’ll see them growing from garlic or onion if you leave it on the counter long enough. They have a similar taste to the vegetable they’re emerging from, but more delicate.'

Key Takeaways

• Many shoppers find it too wasteful to have to buy spring onions from supermarkets in large bundles.
  • Other shoppers suggested that you can grow your own spring onions from scraps.
  • Some suggested that you can leave the cuttings of the onion spring exclusively on water, while others argued that it has to be transferred to a pot of soil.
  • Growing spring onions in soil will affect the taste of the vegetable and many found success by planting the bottom piece and leaving it in a 6-inch pot without having to water it.

There you have it, folks! Next time you’re shopping for spring onions, why not try out this nifty trick for growing your own? Not only can it save you money, but it also adds a sense of pride and satisfaction to what you’re cooking — it’s definitely worth a try!

Have you tried growing your own spring onions? If you did, what’s the most interesting way you’ve grown your own spring onions? Tell us in the comments below and share any other tips or insights you may have.
I'd tried to grow from spring onions cuts in a pot in my backyard, they just stopped growing after a few weeks and went pale and died. Then I'd tried to buy seeds from Bunnings and plant them very carefully in pots, I'd waited 1/2 a year only to see them grew to about 20cm and withered. I'd tried again, but after a year, they were still too small for consumption. So I gave up. (˵¯͒〰¯͒˵)

• Sad
Reactions: Ricci
I'd tried to grow from spring onions cuts in a pot in my backyard, they just stopped growing after a few weeks and went pale and died. Then I'd tried to buy seeds from Bunnings and plant them very carefully in pots, I'd waited 1/2 a year only to see them grew to about 20cm and withered. I'd tried again, but after a year, they were still too small for consumption. So I gave up. (˵¯͒〰¯͒˵)
They require watering every couple of days - was that the problem?

Reactions: Phyll and Ricci
I am not cruel enough to try to grow my own plants. I should have a sign over my door that says Abandon Hope all plants that enter here. I don't know what I do wrong but even those so called "indestructible" plants are gasping their last after a few months into my care. Thank God for the farmers who can do what I can't and in doing so save me untold anguish! :rolleyes: :)

I am not cruel enough to try to grow my own plants. I should have a sign over my door that says Abandon Hope all plants that enter here. I don't know what I do wrong but even those so called "indestructible" plants are gasping their last after a few months into my care. Thank God for the farmers who can do what I can't and in doing so save me untold anguish! :rolleyes: :)
You are not the only one. I drowned a geranium, killed it. Even killed a cactus. Very much a black thumb here.

I grow seasonal vegetables every year. Instead of having a beautiful crop of tomatoes, corn, zucchini, green peppers, I only have 1 tomato bush, 1 corn stalk (with 3 ears) and I cucumber plant because we literally had no spring weather. We went from WINTER straight into SUMMER!
Last year however, I grew iceberg lettuce for the first time, producing 24 lettuce.