• 450 grams self raising flour
• 80 grams unsalted butter - chopped
• 1 tablespoon caster sugar
• 140 grams dried dates - chopped
• 310 millilitres milk
• 80 grams icing sugar mixture

Method

Step 1

Preheat Fan Forced oven to 220 degrees Celsius. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
Place flour, sugar, butter and 1 teaspoon lemon rind in a large bowl…rub in butter with fingertips until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the dates. Make a well in the centre and add the milk. Using a round-bladed knife to stir until a sticky dough forms. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead until the dough is almost smooth.

Step 2

Shape the dough into a 3 centimetre-thick disc on the lined baking tray and cut into 8 wedges.
Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden and the scones sound hollow when tapped on the top. Set aside to cool

Step 3

Place the icing mixture in a bowl. Add enough lemon juice to make a runny paste. Drizzle over the scone and sprinkled with remainder of lemon rind. Serve with butter.
Enjoy

This recipe is from the September edition of the Coles Magazine.

I personally am not a big scone eater, but I found these to be delicious

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
I copied this from the Coles Magazine and the temperature is 220 degrees Celsius…
I did continually check to make sure the scones did not burn!!

Sorry my photo did not come through again!!

I love scones and this recipe is different - I will try make it this weekend - thank you for sharing :)

Reactions: DLHM