Legendary fitness icon Richard Simmons passes away at 76

The world of fitness and entertainment has lost one of its most vibrant and beloved characters.

Known for inspiring countless individuals to lead healthier lives, he became a household name with his infectious energy and flamboyant style.

His energetic and inspirational approach to health and wellness left an indelible mark on millions of fans worldwide.

Richard Simmons has passed away at the age of 76. His death was confirmed after emergency workers were called to his home, where he was reportedly pronounced dead at the scene.

The news has sent a wave of sadness across the globe as fans and followers remember the man who brought joy and health into their lives.

Screenshot 2024-07-17 075837.jpg
Richard Simmons has died at 76. Credit: Instagram / Richard Simmons

Richard Simmons' journey to stardom began in the 1970s and ‘80s when he opened a chain of gyms and launched a series of fitness tapes and DVDs that would become synonymous with home workouts.

His workout series, including the iconic Sweatin' to the Oldies, brought exercise into the living rooms of millions, making fitness fun and inclusive for people of all ages and backgrounds.

Simmons' dedication to helping others was not just a career but a calling. In a rare interview published by People Magazine just a day before his passing, he said he would celebrate by blowing out a candle.

‘But the candle will probably be on a zucchini,’ Simmons quipped. ‘You know, I’m a vegetarian.’

He also shared his thoughts on reaching the age of 76.

‘I am grateful that I’m here, that I am alive for another day. I’ll spend my birthday doing what I do every day, which is to help people,’ Simmons shared.

In recent months, Simmons had been open about his health scare, revealing to his social media followers that he had been diagnosed with skin cancer.

‘Mirror mirror on the wall, what’s that blemish which is so small? There was this strange-looking bump under my right eye. I had a tube of neosporin, which I would put on in the morning and the evening…it was still there. It was time to call my dermatologist,’ he posted in March.

‘I sat in his chair, and he looked at it through a magnifying mirror. He told me he would have to scrape it and put it under the microscope. Now I am getting a little bit nervous.’

‘He comes back about 20 minutes later and says the C word. “You have cancer.” I asked him what kind of cancer and he said. “Basel Cell Carcinoma,” I told him to stop calling me dirty names. He laughed,’ his post continued.

Simmons disclosed that he was advised to undergo treatment from a ‘cancer doctor’, who used a small instrument to ‘burn’ his skin and ‘remove the cancer cells’.

Following three agonising procedures, the doctors successfully ‘got all the cancer cells out’.

The announcement of his diagnosis came a day after Simmons alarmed his fans by stating he was ‘dying’.

He later clarified and apologised for the ‘confusion’, explaining ‘it was a message about saying how we should embrace every day that we have’.

After stepping away from public life in 2014, Simmons shut down his famous Slimmons fitness studio in Beverly Hills, California, in 2016.

His sudden withdrawal prompted the Los Angeles Police Department to perform a welfare check at his residence in 2017, but authorities later reported that the fitness guru was ‘perfectly fine’.

In 2022, Simmons conveyed through his representative that he was ‘happy, healthy and living the life he has chosen to live’.
Key Takeaways
  • Richard Simmons has passed away at the age of 76.
  • Emergency services were called to his home, where he was pronounced dead without suspicion of foul play.
  • Simmons recently suffered a health scare with a skin cancer diagnosis and had undergone treatment.
  • Despite retreating from the public eye in 2014 and closing his fitness studio in 2016, Simmons had reassured fans through his representatives that he was ‘happy, healthy and living the life he has chosen to live’.
We invite you to share your memories of Richard Simmons. Did his workouts bring joy to your mornings? Did his message of self-love resonate with you? Let's honour his memory by sharing stories and perhaps even dusting off those old workout tapes for a nostalgic and heartwarming session of Sweatin' to the Oldies.

Sponsored