Legendary actor Leslie Phillips (Carry On) has died aged 98

Warning: This story contains brief mentions of World War II and shell shock.

Losing someone is never easy and even the loss of a star from the silver screen can be felt deeply. Unfortunately, we bring news that one of the UK’s biggest comedic stars, Leslie Phillips, has died aged 98 after a long health battle.

His acting career spanned more than 70 years, starting in 1938. He was best known for his role in Carry On parts even though he only appeared in three of the films.

shutterstock_9766171 (1).jpg
Leslie Phillips arriving at The Orange British Academy Film Awards at the Royal Opera House in 2007. Image Credit: Shutterstock

Although his success can be linked to the Carry On films, he was critical of the franchise in later years.

'In the old days, the Carry On films would have died a natural death after doing the rounds at the cinemas.

'But then television came along and they were absolutely flogged to death, all over the world. Someone's made quite a lot of money out of them, but not those of us who acted in them.'

Phillips also amassed international fame as the voice of the Sorting Hat in the Harry Potter films and appearances in Empire of the Sun, The Jackal, Out of Africa, Lara Croft: Tomb Raider and Venus.

You may also recall his catchphrases, 'Ding Dong', 'Well, Hello' and 'I Say' that he was apparently asked to recite ‘millions of times’.

Not ringing a bell? You can refresh your memory with this short video:

Outside of his career, he suffered from a series of terrible tragedies, including the deaths of two of his wives and suffering shell shock while fighting in World War II.

He served as a lieutenant in the Durham Light Infantry from 1942 until 1945 when he was suffering shell shock.

Phillips said: 'The beginning of my trouble was the continuous bombardment and the bangs. It was nerve-wracking with aeroplanes flying over and shooting them down.

'I used to get a sort of paralysis on the left side of the body. I suppose it was a form of shell shock. I never really recovered.'

He continued: 'To be honest, I never thought I'd survive the war. I always thought, “Any minute now I'll be bloody killed”, so I was quite surprised to be alive.'

Just five years later, he was back on the screen.

By 1998, Phillips was awarded an OBE (Officer of the British Empire) and in 2008 a CBE (Commander of the British Empire). The Most Excellent Order of the British Empire is a British order of chivalry that rewards contributions to the arts and sciences, work with charitable and welfare organisations, and public service outside the civil service. Phillips was honoured for his contribution to drama.

He is survived by his wife Zara and his four children.

It is a sad day, members. If you have any fond memories, please feel free to share them here.

Last edited:
Sponsored
It's a sad time for his family but I never felt comfortable watching him on screen, especially in the Carry On films. He was too slimy and smarmy for my taste and always seemed to be playing God's gift to women. Maybe he was typecast, I don't know but his behaviour always left me feeling grubby.:(

Reactions: JayKay

Losing someone is never easy and even the loss of a star from the silver screen can be felt deeply. Unfortunately, we bring news that one of the UK’s biggest comedic stars, Leslie Phillips, has died aged 98 after a long health battle.

His acting career spanned more than 70 years, starting in 1938. He was best known for his role in Carry On parts even though he only appeared in three of the films.

View attachment 8596
Leslie Phillips arriving at The Orange British Academy Film Awards at the Royal Opera House in 2007. Image Credit: Shutterstock

Although his success can be linked to the Carry On films, he was critical of the franchise in later years.

'In the old days, the Carry On films would have died a natural death after doing the rounds at the cinemas.

'But then television came along and they were absolutely flogged to death, all over the world. Someone's made quite a lot of money out of them, but not those of us who acted in them.'

View attachment 8595
He is best known for his comedic roles. Image Credit: Getty Images via IMDB

Phillips also amassed international fame as the voice of the Sorting Hat in the Harry Potter films and appearances in Empire of the Sun, The Jackal, Out of Africa, Lara Croft: Tomb Raider and Venus.

You may also recall his catchphrases, 'Ding Dong', 'Well, Hello' and 'I Say' that he was apparently asked to recite ‘millions of times’.

Outside of his career, he suffered from a series of terrible tragedies, including the deaths of two of his wives and suffering shell shock while fighting in World War II.

He served as a lieutenant in the Durham Light Infantry from 1942 until 1945 when he was suffering shell shock.

Phillips said: 'The beginning of my trouble was the continuous bombardment and the bangs. It was nerve-wracking with aeroplanes flying over and shooting them down.

'I used to get a sort of paralysis on the left side of the body. I suppose it was a form of shell shock. I never really recovered.'

He continued: 'To be honest, I never thought I'd survive the war. I always thought, “Any minute now I'll be bloody killed”, so I was quite surprised to be alive.'

By 1998, Phillips was awarded an OBE (Officer of the British Empire) and in 2008 a CBE (Commander of the British Empire). The Most Excellent Order of the British Empire is a British order of chivalry that rewards contributions to the arts and sciences, work with charitable and welfare organisations, and public service outside the civil service. Phillips was honoured for his contribution to drama.

View attachment 8597
Leslie Phillips with his wife Zara Carr at their wedding in December 2013. Image Credit: Shutterstock via Daily Mail

It is a sad day, members. If you have any fond memories, please feel free to share them here.

It's a sad time for his family but I never felt comfortable watching him on screen, especially in the Carry On films. He was too slimy and smarmy for my taste and always seemed to be playing God's gift to women. Maybe he was typecast, I don't know but his behaviour always left me feeling grubby.:(
Well he was an actor, playing a role

View attachment 8596

View attachment 8595
He is best known for his comedic roles. Image Credit: Getty Images via IMDB

View attachment 8597
Leslie Phillips with his wife Zara Carr at their wedding in December 2013. Image Credit: Shutterstock via Daily Mail

what is on his nose? I loved the Carry On series!