SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
The Conversation

The Conversation

Staff member
Jun 15, 2022
Learning grammar is just as important as it always was but the way we teach it has changed

Many students are returning to school this year face a renewed focus on grammar. Just before Christmas, the NSW curriculum was overhauled to include the “explicit teaching of grammar, sentence structure and punctuation in high school”.

This comes amid concerns about literacy levels, particularly among teenage boys. Last month, a major Productivity Commission report on schools also criticised nationwide literacy (and numeracy) standards.

With so many online tools now available to help us write, why is grammar still important?

What is grammar?​

Grammar is the backbone of any language. We use the rules of grammar to structure words into sentences and sentences into longer speech and writing others can understand us.

Screen Shot 2023-02-07 at 15.12.22.png
Grammar is the backbone of any language. Syd Wachs/Unsplash

Examples of grammatical rules in English are locating an adjective before the noun to which it refers, and using “who” to refer to previously-mentioned human subjects in a sentence.

There is no universal system of grammar rules. For example, in French, adjectives usually follow the noun to which they refer, and it forms the future tense differently from English. Grammar rules are only useful when all users of the language know how to use them.

In English you can also express the one idea in several different ways. Suppose you want to tell someone about an event. You could say “Bill pushed Tom”, “Tom was pushed by Bill”, “It was Bill who pushed Tom”, or “Bill pushed Tom, didn’t he?” These examples differ in the grammatical rules they use.

The actual grammatical rules we use at any time depend on the social context. How we talk about an idea with colleagues may differ from how we talk about the same idea at home. We also write and speak in different ways.

Does it matter?​

Many older people will recall being explicitly taught grammar at school. But this fell out of fashion because it was judged to be relatively ineffective in enhancing the use of grammar in spoken or written communication.

You may believe that with AI tools – such as writing assistant Grammarly – and computers, we don’t need to learn grammar.

But learning grammar is as important as it always was. To use grammar, the rules need to be in our brains, not in our hands. Devices can assist our brains but not replace them.

Without grammar, it is hard to communicate effectively. We might, for example, recognise individual words in what someone says but we would be less able to understand the links between them.

Research suggests children’s grammar predicts their reading comprehension later. For example, grammatical knowledge at four years of age predicts reading comprehension two years later. It also affectschildren’s social competence, self-confidence and identity, because it helps them see that they can communicate meaningfully and get positive feedback for what they say.

How do children learn it?​

We can learn grammar both by immersion and by explicit teaching, that is, simply by experiencing its use in specific situations and by specific instruction.

Young children learn grammatical knowledge gradually. Most children begin to say and understand strings of two and three words around the age of two, without specific teaching. They learn it by being exposed to language in their everyday environment.

Screen Shot 2023-02-07 at 15.18.29.png
Children begin to learn grammar from young age. Shutterstock

The speech they hear is usually accompanied by meaningful actions in particular events. For example, they hear “more milk?” when milk is being offered. The actions help them learn how to fit the language to the meaning or function.

What they say and understand shows they can use grammatical rules or patterns. However, they are usually unable to say precisely what these rules are.

Some linguists believe immersion works because the human brain has an innate capacity to learn language.

Gradually children learn more complex grammatical structures. Older children and adults may not become aware of the explicit rules of grammar – and this isn’t necessary to use them.

How can you teach it?​

Many readers may have been taught grammar by analysing random sentences into their component parts. At school, you may have had to identify the nouns or adverbs and to arrange them accordingly.

But this approach had little impact on literacy or oral language development.

There are lots of different ways to teach grammar but effective teaching today uses the following techniques:

• it takes account of the grammatical patterns and rules the child already uses
  • it introduces grammatical rules in specific contexts or events that are meaningful for the child. If you are teaching the passive voice, and using the example of the “cat chased the dog” show a picture of a picture of where a cat chases a dog
  • acting out sentences using a new rule as the first step in learning the new rule
  • arranging a set of words into sentence using the new rule
  • helping the student use the new rule in their everyday speech and writing to show they understand it.

The aim is to teach both the rules and to help students use them in their everyday communication.

If you want to help your child with grammar, talk to your child’s teacher. They can direct you to most appropriate materials (there are plenty online) that are relevant to what your child already knows and work with what is being done at school.

This article was first published on The Conversation, and was written by John Munro, Professor, Faculty of Education and Arts, Australian Catholic University

What irks me is "should of" instead of "should have". A result of not being able to tell kids they're wrong.
"I should of been to the doctor". Once you go to the doctor is it "I of been to the doctor" or "I have been to the doctor". An example of Progressives progressing backwards.

I fully agree with this article - Australia's literacy levels are so poor compared to other developed countries. This is even reflected on the banners that scroll across the bottom of the tv screen during the news segments - so much misspelling! My pet hate is "less" and "fewer". Less is singular - less traffic - while fewer is plural - fewer cars. I've even sent an email to a make-up company about the misuse of less - less wrinkles - in their catalogue!

Some of my pet peeves are 'brought' instead of 'bought', such as I brought these items at the shop instead of bought them. Also the misuse of 'pacific', such as I wish you would be more pacific with that explanation, instead of correctly saying more specific. Pronouncing chimney as 'chimbley' irks me too! It is amazing how often words are used incorrectly on the news services.

I agree, the correct use of grammar is not considered as important as it once was. Young people seem to understand each other regardless. In the future everyone will understand each other again as all the people who knew how to use proper grammar will have passed away, so it won’t be an issue anymore. The same with spelling, children are taught to spell words as they sound now, not as they should be spelt. Is this necessarily a bad thing, I don’t think so, makes quite a lot of sense to me.

Reactions: Ricci
My turn. The American over-use of "off of" instead of "from" drives me insane. "I got it off of him" instead of "I got it from him". God alone knows where it actually came, but it's very firmly implanted in the American culture and ALL their television shows, most of which I now try to avoid. But then, I could go on about the US and its bastardised form of our beloved English.
Also, one of these days, schools are going to start teaching correct structure of sentences; I'm sick of no full stops( or indeed all forms of punctuation) and appalling spelling, especially in social media.
Aaaaagh, I gotta stop! I'll be here all day. :)

Go back and read the second sentence in the "What is grammar?" section. It says "We use the rules of grammar to structure words into sentences and sentences into longer speech and writing others can understand us." Wrong grammar! I believe it ought to be "so that others can understand us." In any case, grammar was my father's mother!!!

My turn. The American over-use of "off of" instead of "from" drives me insane. "I got it off of him" instead of "I got it from him". God alone knows where it actually came, but it's very firmly implanted in the American culture and ALL their television shows, most of which I now try to avoid. But then, I could go on about the US and its bastardised form of our beloved English.
Also, one of these days, schools are going to start teaching correct structure of sentences; I'm sick of no full stops( or indeed all forms of punctuation) and appalling spelling, especially in social media.
Ah... but Americans actually speak English more in tune with the pilgrim fathers. Eg. Gotten' used to be commonplace in English 'of yore'. They still use archaic words which we moderns have discarded over time. Plus .. try telling someone something like a foreigner would. I shop last week. We understand, although that person means "I went shopping last week." We get the context and fill in the gaps. As a teacher of English as a foreign language it took discipline on my part to make the student compose full sentences, even though the short version was fully understandable. Be thankful we know English from birth (if you do, dear reader) as we have so many ways and words to express the same thing, it's mind boggling! Thank the Romans, the Danes, the Norwegians, the Germans and the French for that!

Learning grammar is just as important as it always was but the way we teach it has changed

Many students are returning to school this year face a renewed focus on grammar. Just before Christmas, the NSW curriculum was overhauled to include the “explicit teaching of grammar, sentence structure and punctuation in high school”.

This comes amid concerns about literacy levels, particularly among teenage boys. Last month, a major Productivity Commission report on schools also criticised nationwide literacy (and numeracy) standards.

With so many online tools now available to help us write, why is grammar still important?

What is grammar?​

Grammar is the backbone of any language. We use the rules of grammar to structure words into sentences and sentences into longer speech and writing others can understand us.

View attachment 13030
Grammar is the backbone of any language. Syd Wachs/Unsplash

Examples of grammatical rules in English are locating an adjective before the noun to which it refers, and using “who” to refer to previously-mentioned human subjects in a sentence.

There is no universal system of grammar rules. For example, in French, adjectives usually follow the noun to which they refer, and it forms the future tense differently from English. Grammar rules are only useful when all users of the language know how to use them.

In English you can also express the one idea in several different ways. Suppose you want to tell someone about an event. You could say “Bill pushed Tom”, “Tom was pushed by Bill”, “It was Bill who pushed Tom”, or “Bill pushed Tom, didn’t he?” These examples differ in the grammatical rules they use.

The actual grammatical rules we use at any time depend on the social context. How we talk about an idea with colleagues may differ from how we talk about the same idea at home. We also write and speak in different ways.

Does it matter?​

Many older people will recall being explicitly taught grammar at school. But this fell out of fashion because it was judged to be relatively ineffective in enhancing the use of grammar in spoken or written communication.

You may believe that with AI tools – such as writing assistant Grammarly – and computers, we don’t need to learn grammar.

But learning grammar is as important as it always was. To use grammar, the rules need to be in our brains, not in our hands. Devices can assist our brains but not replace them.

Without grammar, it is hard to communicate effectively. We might, for example, recognise individual words in what someone says but we would be less able to understand the links between them.

Research suggests children’s grammar predicts their reading comprehension later. For example, grammatical knowledge at four years of age predicts reading comprehension two years later. It also affectschildren’s social competence, self-confidence and identity, because it helps them see that they can communicate meaningfully and get positive feedback for what they say.

How do children learn it?​

We can learn grammar both by immersion and by explicit teaching, that is, simply by experiencing its use in specific situations and by specific instruction.

Young children learn grammatical knowledge gradually. Most children begin to say and understand strings of two and three words around the age of two, without specific teaching. They learn it by being exposed to language in their everyday environment.

View attachment 13031
Children begin to learn grammar from young age. Shutterstock

The speech they hear is usually accompanied by meaningful actions in particular events. For example, they hear “more milk?” when milk is being offered. The actions help them learn how to fit the language to the meaning or function.

What they say and understand shows they can use grammatical rules or patterns. However, they are usually unable to say precisely what these rules are.

Some linguists believe immersion works because the human brain has an innate capacity to learn language.

Gradually children learn more complex grammatical structures. Older children and adults may not become aware of the explicit rules of grammar – and this isn’t necessary to use them.

How can you teach it?​

Many readers may have been taught grammar by analysing random sentences into their component parts. At school, you may have had to identify the nouns or adverbs and to arrange them accordingly.

But this approach had little impact on literacy or oral language development.

There are lots of different ways to teach grammar but effective teaching today uses the following techniques:

• it takes account of the grammatical patterns and rules the child already uses
  • it introduces grammatical rules in specific contexts or events that are meaningful for the child. If you are teaching the passive voice, and using the example of the “cat chased the dog” show a picture of a picture of where a cat chases a dog
  • acting out sentences using a new rule as the first step in learning the new rule
  • arranging a set of words into sentence using the new rule
  • helping the student use the new rule in their everyday speech and writing to show they understand it.

The aim is to teach both the rules and to help students use them in their everyday communication.

If you want to help your child with grammar, talk to your child’s teacher. They can direct you to most appropriate materials (there are plenty online) that are relevant to what your child already knows and work with what is being done at school.

This article was first published on The Conversation, and was written by John Munro, Professor, Faculty of Education and Arts, Australian Catholic University
my peeve is australians use betta matta the er is never used. this is even with news readers.

My pet peeve is the use of different...... I'm glad to say it was used correctly in the article and it made my heart sing. I feel that I've been waging a one person war in the proper use of the word. Things are different from and similar to and never the other way around. I hear it, and see it in print almost daily, articles that says something is different to something else. Grrrr.

We all know the Americans have their own language that nobody else can understand. The worst thing is our children have adopted the Americanisms - what hope have we got?

My pet peeve is the use of different...... I'm glad to say it was used correctly in the article and it made my heart sing. I feel that I've been waging a one person war in the proper use of the word. Things are different from and similar to and never the other way around. I hear it, and see it in print almost daily, articles that says something is different to something else. Grrrr.
The worst offenders are the supposed educated journalists. Gen X, Y & Z have no idea of the importance (IMPORDANCE!!!) of grammar.

Reactions: MHM and terri
In the sentence under the heading "what is grammar" the sentence is missing the word "so"

What irks me is "should of" instead of "should have". A result of not being able to tell kids they're wrong.
"I should of been to the doctor". Once you go to the doctor is it "I of been to the doctor" or "I have been to the doctor". An example of Progressives progressing backwards.
Drives me mad!

And, where does of come from 've??
Should've, Could,'ve., Poor teaching and it is now being handed down.
I know many teachers who mispronounce words eg Haitch instead of Aitch, and misuse words.
This is appalling.

Reactions: Nichola
That's the first thing I thought of.
Could of, should of, would of. It's dreadful when people think that's the correct thing to write. 🙄

Reactions: terri
Children should be reading more .

Creative writing is a must for kids of all ages. Even writing in a diary or Journal.

Phone usage is the worst enemy, with auto spell checks.

And lastly, the way young people write on their phones and computers should be called lazy writing, and unfortunately they get use to it.