Lawyer explains why you should AVOID using supermarket self-serve checkouts

A lot of shoppers aren’t too happy with the launch of self-serve checkouts in major supermarkets… But there are more little-known reasons why customers are better off steering clear of them.

A lawyer has warned shoppers to avoid using self-serve checkouts at supermarkets in a series of TikTok videos.

The criminal defence lawyer, Carrie Jernigan, said grimly: ‘I advise most people to steer clear of self-checkouts unless they are ready and willing to go to jail.’

Ms Jernigan detailed that self-serve checkouts are often targeted by shoplifters, which in turn makes retailers more sceptical – even if shoppers who are also using them don’t have any bad intentions.

gINUniZyKJcg1G4YbKlcpAj3-SGkcdhwDRhEO9CaWl87FMe4u8VvytZJvTtHHQl_H7PWAoUU9UER7pahEnWu7phyZ3m9HL2072PgTpNNsKvM8a5C-KjDPSQ464W1XVttCU127y35s2ktz37ZeLVxU14

Why you should avoid self-serve checkouts according to a lawyer. Source: Verdict

She said that there are three types of people being charged with theft after using self-checkout lanes.

The first is professional shoplifters followed by people who steal items ‘by mistake’. She went on to clarify that these are ‘the people that I genuinely think just forgot to scan an item’, such as forgetting to scan an item at the bottom of a trolley.

Even though the shopper is technically innocent, Ms Jernigan warned that these shoppers can still end up being charged as ‘stores aren’t going to spend their time and resources trying to figure out if you did it on purpose.’

The lawyer finished the video off with the last third group – the ones who are ‘truly innocent’.

zuZO_Bz-nQCPqxng63BVV1GSGrrfoozjF6J2Ey3CNTBRZLvu6pid8psmN_nduUiVDE8H0d2I0T6qIfci3tgeOYmA6mBiqm0c9lOEvUI6il9KiarcZVqajaogisCxK3bkmGQ4xiqlPd_mCXx5S-XvH6I
kWPqfIZn2zCMajd-4xSeLobyZ5rJ3EMckWUJvxRz1j5EB6QIWSTweEpgUi1aEkEc4LPHUZTDFIfnT3vRloZuh_SYTYntc4DZ5fujysz8iWrf8fFE-aKzPBYhbZz2USAnon5jdcwlKx0qZ3kaODIEuWw

The lawyer warned shoppers about the feature in a series of videos. Source: @carriejernigan1

She added that these cases rarely escalate at the time but they may still face charges later on after the store’s security department does an inventory count and realise they are missing something.

‘So they will begin watching hours of video to see the last person who checked out with the Mario Lego set because they’re short for an Xbox game. And, for some reason, they blame you and claim that you did it,’ she shared.

The lawyer also advised shoppers to refrain from paying with cash as it makes it harder to prove that you paid for something. Always pay with a card at self-checkouts and keep all your receipts as proof of the items you purchased.

Ms Jernigan’s series of TikTok videos accumulated more than a million views per clip, and many comments from customers who shared their thoughts.

One user shared their mum’s heartbreaking experience with a self-serve checkout, writing: ‘My mum accidentally left a tiny $3 lemon oil in her cart after buying $300 in groceries. She was charged with theft and forced to do community service.’

‘So they force us to do their job and then want to charge us when we were never trained… Perfect.’ another said sarcastically.

‘I just didn't use them because they put people out of work… I never thought about this angle!’ added a third, while a fourth joked: ‘If you just take the stuff and leave as normal no one would notice anymore! They are all watching over the self-checkout.’

One more suggested: ‘I always use self-serve checkouts even with a full cart. Make sure to keep your receipts. I always flash it to the greeter on the way out and never have a problem.’

What are your thoughts on this lawyer’s advice? Let us know in the comments below!

Watch Ms Jernigan’s full TikTok video below:

Source: @carriejernigan1

Sponsored
A lot of shoppers aren’t too happy with the launch of self-serve checkouts in major supermarkets… But there are more little-known reasons why customers are better off steering clear of them.

A lawyer has warned shoppers to avoid using self-serve checkouts at supermarkets in a series of TikTok videos.

The criminal defence lawyer, Carrie Jernigan, said grimly: ‘I advise most people to steer clear of self-checkouts unless they are ready and willing to go to jail.’

Ms Jernigan detailed that self-serve checkouts are often targeted by shoplifters, which in turn makes retailers more sceptical – even if shoppers who are also using them don’t have any bad intentions.

gINUniZyKJcg1G4YbKlcpAj3-SGkcdhwDRhEO9CaWl87FMe4u8VvytZJvTtHHQl_H7PWAoUU9UER7pahEnWu7phyZ3m9HL2072PgTpNNsKvM8a5C-KjDPSQ464W1XVttCU127y35s2ktz37ZeLVxU14

Why you should avoid self-serve checkouts according to a lawyer. Source: Verdict

She said that there are three types of people being charged with theft after using self-checkout lanes.

The first is professional shoplifters followed by people who steal items ‘by mistake’. She went on to clarify that these are ‘the people that I genuinely think just forgot to scan an item’, such as forgetting to scan an item at the bottom of a trolley.

Even though the shopper is technically innocent, Ms Jernigan warned that these shoppers can still end up being charged as ‘stores aren’t going to spend their time and resources trying to figure out if you did it on purpose.’

The lawyer finished the video off with the last third group – the ones who are ‘truly innocent’.

zuZO_Bz-nQCPqxng63BVV1GSGrrfoozjF6J2Ey3CNTBRZLvu6pid8psmN_nduUiVDE8H0d2I0T6qIfci3tgeOYmA6mBiqm0c9lOEvUI6il9KiarcZVqajaogisCxK3bkmGQ4xiqlPd_mCXx5S-XvH6I
kWPqfIZn2zCMajd-4xSeLobyZ5rJ3EMckWUJvxRz1j5EB6QIWSTweEpgUi1aEkEc4LPHUZTDFIfnT3vRloZuh_SYTYntc4DZ5fujysz8iWrf8fFE-aKzPBYhbZz2USAnon5jdcwlKx0qZ3kaODIEuWw

The lawyer warned shoppers about the feature in a series of videos. Source: @carriejernigan1

She added that these cases rarely escalate at the time but they may still face charges later on after the store’s security department does an inventory count and realise they are missing something.

‘So they will begin watching hours of video to see the last person who checked out with the Mario Lego set because they’re short for an Xbox game. And, for some reason, they blame you and claim that you did it,’ she shared.

The lawyer also advised shoppers to refrain from paying with cash as it makes it harder to prove that you paid for something. Always pay with a card at self-checkouts and keep all your receipts as proof of the items you purchased.

Ms Jernigan’s series of TikTok videos accumulated more than a million views per clip, and many comments from customers who shared their thoughts.

One user shared their mum’s heartbreaking experience with a self-serve checkout, writing: ‘My mum accidentally left a tiny $3 lemon oil in her cart after buying $300 in groceries. She was charged with theft and forced to do community service.’

‘So they force us to do their job and then want to charge us when we were never trained… Perfect.’ another said sarcastically.

‘I just didn't use them because they put people out of work… I never thought about this angle!’ added a third, while a fourth joked: ‘If you just take the stuff and leave as normal no one would notice anymore! They are all watching over the self-checkout.’

One more suggested: ‘I always use self-serve checkouts even with a full cart. Make sure to keep your receipts. I always flash it to the greeter on the way out and never have a problem.’

What are your thoughts on this lawyer’s advice? Let us know in the comments below!

Watch Ms Jernigan’s full TikTok video below:

Source: @carriejernigan1

If I’m serving myself I think I deserve a discount to my shopping bill. They have transferred the cost and labour onto us. So I would like to be paid for proving that service and a discount would be a reasonable exchange for me providing that service. Otherwise it’s a bit of a con on us.

Reactions: Marj53