Landlords refuse to raise the rent on their tenants: ‘I feel sick to do that to them’

As we grow older, we come to understand that compassion and kindness are priceless treasures that money can't buy.

In a world where personal gain and soaring living expenses seem to take centre stage, it's refreshing to find individuals who prioritise empathy over profit.

Rent prices are skyrocketing at an alarming pace; to put it in perspective, they're climbing six times faster than wages. This lopsided situation is causing a chain reaction, making it tougher for Aussies to stay afloat amidst the ever-rising living expenses.

Let's take a moment to meet Pete and Alana, a couple residing in Sydney. They are the proud owners of Kouzina Greco, Parramatta's oldest and most cherished restaurant.

Amidst the current rental crisis that has engulfed Australia and brought back memories of housing shortages from decades past, the couple stands out as beacons of goodwill.

Screen Shot 2023-06-29 at 7.19.02 PM.png
A pair of Sydney landlords are bucking the trend and refusing to raise the rents of their tenants. Credit: Shutterstock.

What did they do, you ask? They refused to raise their tenants' rent.

'We have an investment property that gets rented, where we weren't out of pocket except for the council rates,' Alana explained.

She shared that they now contribute approximately $1,500 from their own pocket monthly, even though they have no prevailing mortgage. In Alana's words, it's 'almost like a mortgage'.

'I can't raise the rates for our tenants, I can't do it. I'll leave it for as long as I can because I feel sick to do that to them,' she added.

'For me now to put rent up $20 or $30 for each tenant—alright, so I'm going to make $1,000 or more profit each year, but you know what? I'd rather stick it out than make these families uncomfortable.'

The couple stands as a shining example amidst a sea of depressing statistics. It's no help that the cost of living has skyrocketed, leaving a family of four with two full-time minimum wage incomes with a mere $73 after expenses.

According to a recent living cost analysis by Anglicare Australia, people on the lowest incomes are trailing in the race for survival. The findings within the report expose a dire reality: a single full-time minimum wage worker has only $57 left after essential weekly outgoings.

Furthermore, a single parent with one child on a minimum wage job is operating on a deficit, falling short by $180 after covering essentials like rent, transport, food, education, and childcare.

'These numbers confirm what Australians already know: living costs are spiralling,' said Kasy Chambers, Executive Director of Anglicare Australia. 'Essentials like food and transport are skyrocketing, and housing costs are more expensive than ever.'

Many distressed Australians are taking on additional jobs and turning to charities for help with food, rent, and medicine.

This unsurprisingly results in a growing demand for Anglicare Australia's emergency relief services, with shocking spikes in new clients, often hailing from households with paid employment.

The report calls for a re-evaluation of financial assistance, pressing for the minimum wage to be a living wage, stringent control over unfair rent hikes, and substantial investment in affordable housing.

But until such measures take shape, landlords like Pete and Alana demonstrate that genuine kindness goes a long way. Despite the economic turmoil, their decision to resist rent hikes shines brightly in the gloom of the rental market.

Key Takeaways

• Despite the nation's rental crisis, Sydney landlords Pete and Alana refuse to raise their tenants' rents.
  • The rental crisis is pushing up rent prices six times faster than wages, making it hard for working Aussies to cope.
  • A new living cost analysis by Anglicare Australia reveals that many people on the lowest incomes are falling behind, with a family of four with two full-time minimum wage earners left with just $73 after expenses.
  • The report called for scrapping planned top-end income tax cuts, stronger rental laws, more social and affordable housing, emergency payments to cover power bills and more funding for emergency relief providers.

It's truly uplifting to witness such heartfelt acts of empathy. After all, isn't life just a journey we're all navigating? So, let's not forget to extend a helping hand whenever we can along the way.

Members, what are your thoughts on this story? Do you know of landlords like Pete and Alana? We would be thrilled if you shared your stories with us in the comments below. We can't wait to read them!

Sponsored
We are fortunate that our landlord did not raise the rent last year and only a minimal amount this year. We also have all solar power so electricity is also minimal. But the biggest surprise was just before Christmas when the landlord gave us a week's rent as a present. I have never seen anything like that.

As we grow older, we come to understand that compassion and kindness are priceless treasures that money can't buy.

In a world where personal gain and soaring living expenses seem to take centre stage, it's refreshing to find individuals who prioritise empathy over profit.

Rent prices are skyrocketing at an alarming pace; to put it in perspective, they're climbing six times faster than wages. This lopsided situation is causing a chain reaction, making it tougher for Aussies to stay afloat amidst the ever-rising living expenses.

Let's take a moment to meet Pete and Alana, a couple residing in Sydney. They are the proud owners of Kouzina Greco, Parramatta's oldest and most cherished restaurant.

Amidst the current rental crisis that has engulfed Australia and brought back memories of housing shortages from decades past, the couple stands out as beacons of goodwill.

View attachment 23713
A pair of Sydney landlords are bucking the trend and refusing to raise the rents of their tenants. Credit: Shutterstock.

'We have an investment property that gets rented, where we weren't out of pocket except for the council rates,' Alana explained.

She shared that they now contribute approximately $1,500 from their own pocket monthly, even though they have no prevailing mortgage. In Alana's words, it's 'almost like a mortgage'.

'I can't raise the rates for our tenants, I can't do it. I'll leave it for as long as I can because I feel sick to do that to them,' she added.

'For me now to put rent up $20 or $30 for each tenant—alright, so I'm going to make $1,000 or more profit each year, but you know what? I'd rather stick it out than make these families uncomfortable.'

The couple stands as a shining example amidst a sea of depressing statistics. It's no help that the cost of living has skyrocketed, leaving a family of four with two full-time minimum wage incomes with a mere $73 after expenses.

According to a recent living cost analysis by Anglicare Australia, people on the lowest incomes are trailing in the race for survival. The findings within the report expose a dire reality: a single full-time minimum wage worker has only $57 left after essential weekly outgoings.

Furthermore, a single parent with one child on a minimum wage job is operating on a deficit, falling short by $180 after covering essentials like rent, transport, food, education, and childcare.

'These numbers confirm what Australians already know: living costs are spiralling,' said Kasy Chambers, Executive Director of Anglicare Australia. 'Essentials like food and transport are skyrocketing, and housing costs are more expensive than ever.'

Many distressed Australians are taking on additional jobs and turning to charities for help with food, rent, and medicine.

This unsurprisingly results in a growing demand for Anglicare Australia's emergency relief services, with shocking spikes in new clients, often hailing from households with paid employment.

The report calls for a re-evaluation of financial assistance, pressing for the minimum wage to be a living wage, stringent control over unfair rent hikes, and substantial investment in affordable housing.

But until such measures take shape, landlords like Pete and Alana demonstrate that genuine kindness goes a long way. Despite the economic turmoil, their decision to resist rent hikes shines brightly in the gloom of the rental market.

Key Takeaways

• Despite the nation's rental crisis, Sydney landlords Pete and Alana refuse to raise their tenants' rents.
  • The rental crisis is pushing up rent prices six times faster than wages, making it hard for working Aussies to cope.
  • A new living cost analysis by Anglicare Australia reveals that many people on the lowest incomes are falling behind, with a family of four with two full-time minimum wage earners left with just $73 after expenses.
  • The report called for scrapping planned top-end income tax cuts, stronger rental laws, more social and affordable housing, emergency payments to cover power bills and more funding for emergency relief providers.

It's truly uplifting to witness such heartfelt acts of empathy. After all, isn't life just a journey we're all navigating? So, let's not forget to extend a helping hand whenever we can along the way.

Members, what are your thoughts on this story? Do you know of landlords like Pete and Alana? We would be thrilled if you shared your stories with us in the comments below. We can't wait to read them!
Wonderful people who have empathy for those less fortunate. Wish there were more like them.

It's nice that this couple did this for their tenants. BUT most landlords may not be able to carry that extra $1500 cost themselves especially if they have mortgages on their own home as well. By far the greater number of investment properties are held by Mum & Dad investors and they are likely to be hurting too unable to afford to support their tenants, especially coming off the COVID pandemic where they may not have had tenants at all or were unable to raise rents due to the emergency measures that were put in place at the time. I do wish people wouldn't automatically cast landlords as the villain in their life story when things get tough.

View attachment 23713

Key Takeaways

I haven't raised the rent for my tenant for the last 2 years. The way I look at it, that those $10, $20, or $30/week increase would not make me rich, but it could make the tenant poor. I have a retired lady renting from me, I am sure with being on the pension any rent increase would be hard on her. So the rent stays the same for at least another year

Reactions: Littleboy8

View attachment 23713

Key Takeaways

they seem to be the true blue Aussies..decent people...god will bless them

We are fortunate that our landlord did not raise the rent last year and only a minimal amount this year. We also have all solar power so electricity is also minimal. But the biggest surprise was just before Christmas when the landlord gave us a week's rent as a present. I have never seen anything like that.
On wow .... bless them; what a very kind act. You are so fortunate to have such thoughtful, caring landlords! (I bet you are a good tenant as well) - win, win situation all round! 😊

How long will you continue to dream of an ideal place to live if you can simply go to the service https://rentaroo.com.au/ and use filters to find the apartment or house of your dreams? It's so simple. You just need to go to the site and write a few keywords, after which all suitable apartments that meet your requirements will be available for display.

I haven't raised the rent for my tenant for the last 2 years. The way I look at it, that those $10, $20, or $30/week increase would not make me rich, but it could make the tenant poor. I have a retired lady renting from me, I am sure with being on the pension any rent increase would be hard on her. So the rent stays the same for at least another year
😍you sound like my landlords they are a lovely young couple. They even bought me tickets to the pictures as a Thankyou for being such a good tenant. 5 years here so far.😁

Reactions: evitravel