Landlord’s 'ridiculous' request leaves renter in disbelief: ‘Not your responsibility’

Navigating the often complex waters of rental agreements can be tricky.

However, one landlord's outrageous request has sparked a furious reaction from tenants and other landlords around Australia.

A renter based in Victoria reported that their landlord had asked them to contribute to the cost of building a new driveway for the rental property.

Overflowing with uncertainty, the tenant took to social media to share their predicament.

shutterstock_73089730.jpg
A landlord’s request left a renter uncertain. Credit: Shutterstock

'My landlord approached me and asked if I'd be willing to contribute to some of the costs for them to install a driveway into our rental. Currently, I park off-street, and a driveway would be very convenient for me,' the renter asked.

'Is this something I should/need to contribute to? I want to remain on good terms with the landlord, but even helping out 20 per cent of the cost is quite dear.'

The landlord's demand elicited fast and furious responses.

Online users were quick to criticise and declared it inappropriate to ask tenants to contribute to the cost of property enhancements.

Labelling the request as 'cheeky’, many shared their disbelief and outrage.

One user penned, 'Why would you contribute to something you don't own? No, I would not, it sounds as though your landlord is taking advantage got a cheek to even ask, really.’

Following in the same tone, another responded, 'How ridiculous. Absolutely NOT. Not your responsibility AT ALL.'

While most were vehemently against the idea, some highlighted the opportunity for negotiation.

‘If you were to, you would want some guarantees that you could stay in the property for X number of years, and you would be reimbursed the full amount if the property is sold etc,' one person pondered.

‘You don't need to, but I'd use it as a bargaining tool. Say in return for no rent increases and a five-year lease, reduced rent during works in writing,' another recommended.

Living in a rental property can be exciting, but it can also be stressful.

In a previous story, a tenant’s experience at her rented townhouse when her landlord made an unexpected demand by imposing strict limits on a household appliance.

Why was the tenant questioning her landlord’s request? You can read more about it here.
Key Takeaways

• A landlord has faced criticism after asking their tenant to contribute financially to the construction of a driveway.
  • The tenant was conflicted about the request as a driveway would improve their parking situation but felt it was an unfair expense.
  • Social media users reacted strongly, advising the tenant not to contribute to the landlord's property investment.
  • Some suggested that if the tenant did agree to contribute, they should secure a written agreement for rent stability or other benefits in return.
Have you ever faced similar issues with your landlord? Share them with us in the comments below.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Wow
Reactions: Marj53 and Liag
Sponsored
My husband had a similar experience with a car dealer when he got a second hand car which was covered by a 3 month warranty the car needed a new diff and the dealer wanted him to go half in the cost of a new diff he refused and went to consumer affairs but the dealer was digging his heels in eventually they replaced the diff . So no the tenant/s should not be asked to go half in putting down a new driveway .

Make sure if you decide to contribute you get a good legal firm to write up an agreement. I know you may feel like you have to or he can ask you to leave at the end of your lease and that is a reason to stay on his good side.

What a stupid thing to ask.
We used to be landlords. This sort of thing is claimed on tax.
This has all the warning bells of a double dip. Contribute nothing.

Reactions: Lisa
In many countries this is quite normal: the tenant actually make renovations at their own cost (with the agreement of the owner obviously) like renovating a bathroom, or a kitchen, so a driveway would be ok, and then when the tenant leave the premises they ask the "new tenant" the cost of the improvement less depreciation. All perfectlly legal, but then a lot of tenants stay for life, and the owner benefit from not having a property deteriorating through lack of maintenance. In Australia I would not dream to pay anything to the owner considering he can throw you out at will (btw I own my own house).

This Landlord is not "cheeky" but totally out of order.
Let's just say the Tenant contributed to the cost of the driveway, would the Tenant be compensated by getting 20% of the sale, if the property was sold?
It is, sadly, a Landlord's market and they think they can do what they want and Tenants are at their mercy.

Under a leasing agreement, it guarantees you full and unobstructed use of a premise, if the driveway is unusable or in a dangerous condition it is mandatory the landlord corrects the condition

That's why stating everything in the lease agreement is crucial.
When I was younger, I rented a flat in a horrible condition, but we agreed with the landlord that I'd slightly renovate it, and it would affect my rent payment.
Over time, I changed heaters, painted walls, slightly upgraded plumbing where possible, and paid less rent. Everything is manageable and just needs to be stated on a paper.