SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Sethia Soliman

Sethia Soliman

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2022
Laminex tables

Here’s a fun item that might unlock an old memory! Members, do you remember enjoying a comforting, homemade meal on one of these Laminex tables? They used to be collectibles with variations in green, yellow, red, pink, and grey! They were easy to clean, too. Do you still have them at home? Share your fond memories with us below!

Screenshot 2024-03-14 at 7.52.22 AM.png
Source: Brett Hall & John Humphreys/Memory Lane - Growing up in Australia

Yes we had a laminex table in 1977 with a big bubble in the middle where something very hot was put there.
Along with our Crosby fridge, concrete wash tubs and stainless steel boiler.

Reactions: Bob’s Buddy
My grandmother had the green kitchen set, it had a shiny metal border around the table with the green patterned top. Why can't someone make them like that again, they were so strong and sturdy and well made. Just to find a set second hand would be a mission today.

My family had a red square one that I grew up with that is now in my brothers second house in the country

We had a yellow one with matching yellow chairs. Mum put a hot pan on it one day and left a lovely burn mark on it.

When we came to Australia at the end of 1965 my parents bought their basic furniture at Macy's - some members may remember that store. Our six seater rectangular table was basically white with a gold fleck through the top. It was great for kids, easily cleaned and good for homework as well as meals. Mum and Dad had that table till Mum passed away in 2005.

Reactions: Bob’s Buddy
Yes, my parents had a red table. They were such lovely tables...fond memories as a child enjoying something delicious!