La Luna sets: Melbourne's culinary star fades as rising costs eclipse 25-year legacy

The hospitality industry has always been a challenging arena, with its razor-thin margins and the relentless pace of change, so for a restaurant to not only survive but thrive for a quarter of a century, it must be something extraordinary.

La Luna Bistro, under the helm of celebrity chef Adrian Richardson, was one such gem in the heart of Melbourne, known for its commitment to quality and the personal touch of its charismatic owner.

However, even the brightest stars sometimes fade, and after 25 years of delighting diners, La Luna is closing its doors.

The news sent ripples through the culinary community, as Adrian Richardson, a familiar face on television and a stalwart of the Melbourne food scene, announced the bittersweet end of an era.

La Luna's final service on August 3 marks the conclusion of a chapter that has seen the restaurant become a beloved institution.

However, the question remains: what has led to this moment?

Screenshot 2024-05-24 091713.jpg
Celebrity chef Adrian Richardson is shutting down his iconic Melbourne restaurant, La Luna, after 25 years, citing rising costs and shifting market conditions. Credits: Instagram / @lalunabistro

Richardson cited the relentless cost of living crunch as a significant factor in his decision.

‘Prices have gone up considerably,’ he pointed out.

The hospitality sector has been particularly vulnerable to economic fluctuations, and La Luna is not immune.

‘My insurance two years ago was $8000, now it’s $15,000. My gas was $6000—now it’s $12,000. All of these things add up. Staff wages have gone up. I’d happily work 60 hours a week back in the day, no nobody wants to do it. I have to pay top dollar for a good chef…I think it’s fantastic we are doing that,’ Richardson explained.

Despite the closure of La Luna, Richardson's culinary journey is far from over.

He continues to operate other ventures, including the Geelong steakhouse Maestro, Bouvier Bar in East Brunswick, The Gallery Restaurant at Marvel Stadium, and the newly launched Pasta Bambino.

His entrepreneurial spirit also led him to Brisbane, where he opened two restaurants, Boss and Aviary.

‘Brisbane is a smaller city, younger and more vibrant,’ he remarked.

‘It’s very different up here. Brisbane demands what Sydney and Melbourne have, but they will put money behind it—people will go out to eat and drink.’

The closure of La Luna is not an isolated incident.

The hospitality industry across Australia is under significant strain, with warnings that one in 13 hospitality businesses is at risk of folding under the weight of the cost-of-living crisis.

Sydney's Bistrot 916 and Melbourne's Gingerboy are just two examples of other establishments that have recently closed their doors, each with its own unique set of circumstances.

Bistrot 916 disclosed that it shut down not due to financial troubles but because of a ‘wrecking ball’: its location was slated for demolition to make room for a real estate project.

On the other hand, Melbourne's Asian fusion restaurant, Gingerboy, closed its doors in April after 18 years of operation, citing ‘market pressures following COVID lockdowns’ as the reason.

Good Group Australia, with its high-end steak restaurants and Asian venues across three states, also went into administration.

It ceased operations this month, with debts totalling $23 million, also highlighted the broader impact on the workforce, with 200 jobs disappearing in its wake.

Several additional restaurants also joined the increasing list of closures, such as Elements Bar and Grill, three outlets of the Sydney-based restaurant franchise Bondi Pizza, and Mexican eatery Checho’s in Penrith, Sydney's outer western suburb, which closed its doors in March.

In February, the original La Porchetta restaurant in Carlton North, Melbourne also ceased operations after four decades in the industry.

Yet, Richardson's message to his peers in the hospitality industry is one of resilience. Rather than having to ‘b**** and moan, he urged fellow restaurateurs to ‘be a wolf’ and adapt to the changing landscape.

He mentioned that it wasn't the conclusion for La Luna; rather, he was just hitting the pause button.
Key Takeaways
  • Celebrity chef Adrian Richardson is closing his iconic restaurant La Luna in Melbourne after 25 years due to increasing costs and changing market conditions.
  • Richardson highlighted the financial pressures faced by the hospitality industry, noting significant increases in insurance and utility costs, as well as wage rises.
  • While he is closing La Luna, Richardson is optimistic about the hospitality scene in Brisbane, where he has successfully launched two restaurants.
  • The hospitality industry in Australia is experiencing a crisis with a significant number of businesses, including restaurants and food venues, closing down due to economic challenges.
What are your thoughts about La Luna’s closure? Do you have treasured memories of dining there? How has the cost-of-living crisis affected your daily life? Share your stories and opinions in the comments below.

Sponsored
We should see a wave of closures as leases expire. I wouldn't go into business .... I watch them come and go in the center close to where I live.

You would need to take out a personal loan to eat at this joint! A sample of their menu.

Freshly shucked Sydney Rock Oysters $7 each!
Ricotta gnocchi - pea puree, charred shallot, burrata $34!
Fish Of the day $52!
Porterhouse 300gm $58!
Hand cut fries with fennel salt $13!

In excess of $190 per kilo for porterhouse steak. Be f**ked!

Forget about rental, utilities, wages, insurances, advertising, etc. My local supermarket sells economy porterhouse steak for $16.99 per kilo.! So over $170 is consumed by rental, utilities, wages, insurances, advertising, etc. Yeah, sure!

The place deserves to close its doors.

You would need to take out a personal loan to eat at this joint! A sample of their menu.

Fish Of the day $52!
Porterhouse 300gm $58!

Forget about rental, utilities, wages, insurances, advertising, etc. My local supermarket sells economy porterhouse steak for $16.99 per kilo.! So over $170 is consumed by rental, utilities, wages, insurances, advertising, etc. Yeah, sure!

I called for the medics urgently as I sat clutching my heart...... did people pay those prices????o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

Fish Of the day $52!
Porterhouse 300gm $58!

😮I just realised I didn’t read your reply apart from the menu prices. Now the pennies dropped why you said echo🙀silly me🤣