Koala responds to ‘ageist’ competition backlash

We recently shared a story about Australian mattress company Koala running a competition that seemingly excluded Australian seniors. You can read more about this here.

Understandably, a lot of Australians were upset and angry at this marketing campaign.

For those that missed it, here’s what some SDC members had to say about it.

Member @SusanK: ‘I can't believe that they can get away with this.’

Member @lynstacker: ‘This is so discriminatory. I am a boomer and proud of it. The problem now is that Gen X Y Z want to start where we are finishing. My first home was a one bedroom flat. I slept on a camp stretcher, my heating was a blanket and I had no refrigerator. I was not out every day having smashed avo or chardy lunches with my friends. I was working three jobs with interest rates at 17.5%. There was no first home buyer subsidy nor any of the other subsidies which XYZ enjoy today. I do hope someone deserving wins this competition but I will not be a customer of Koala.’

And member @LorLes put it beautifully: ‘I object to this notion that all boomers are well off and the implication that somehow they are ripping the system off.’

‘And let’s not overlook the homeless. The largest contingent of the homeless is women in my age bracket. Whilst they have no mortgage, I’m sure they’d appreciate rent for a year to just bloody live, luxuries be damned.’

‘This notion that somehow the boomers stole the future from the millennials and Gen Z when they, in fact, created the conditions the millennials and Gen Z enjoy rubs me the wrong way.’

‘Yes, the attitude behind the website is discriminatory and perpetuates a myth. However, I intend to enter and game the system.’

Screen Shot 2023-08-01 at 9.39.13 am.png
The competition claims you can ‘live like a boomer’. Image Credit: Koala

Since posting the story, a Koala spokesperson has reached out to us to provide a statement.

‘Baby boomers are not banned or restricted from applying to the giveaway in any way and are encouraged to apply. There is no age restriction nor is there a date of birth requirement as part of entry.’

‘The questionnaire is written in jest, playing on an ongoing cultural debate in Australia about which generation has had it easiest, with millennially skewed questions designed to be novel and fun. The answers are framed in a way that the correct answer is obvious and this was designed as such to be democratic for all entrants, no matter their age.’

‘Our efforts are simply a tongue-and-cheek love letter to a generation who we can all recognise are doing it tough (Millennial and Gen Z). We love our baby boomer customers and are confident they will understand the novelty of this initiative. Everyone is welcome to apply and we welcome any Australian to try and receive free rent or mortgage for a year.’

What do you think? Do you appreciate their latest statement? Will you be entering the competition? If so, you can enter the competition here. We would love to hear from you.

• Wow
Reactions: terri
Sponsored
We recently shared a story about Australian mattress company Koala running a competition that seemingly excluded Australian seniors. You can read more about this here.

Understandably, a lot of Australians were upset and angry at this marketing campaign.

Member @lynstacker: ‘This is so discriminatory. I am a boomer and proud of it. The problem now is that Gen X Y Z want to start where we are finishing. My first home was a one bedroom flat. I slept on a camp stretcher, my heating was a blanket and I had no refrigerator. I was not out every day having smashed avo or chardy lunches with my friends. I was working three jobs with interest rates at 17.5%. There was no first home buyer subsidy nor any of the other subsidies which XYZ enjoy today. I do hope someone deserving wins this competition but I will not be a customer of Koala.’

And member @LorLes put it beautifully: ‘I object to this notion that all boomers are well off and the implication that somehow they are ripping the system off.’

‘And let’s not overlook the homeless. The largest contingent of the homeless is women in my age bracket. Whilst they have no mortgage, I’m sure they’d appreciate rent for a year to just bloody live, luxuries be damned.’

‘This notion that somehow the boomers stole the future from the millennials and Gen Z when they, in fact, created the conditions the millennials and Gen Z enjoy rubs me the wrong way.’

‘Yes, the attitude behind the website is discriminatory and perpetuates a myth. However, I intend to enter and game the system.’

View attachment 26360

Since posting the story, a Koala spokesperson has reached out to us to provide a statement.

‘Baby boomers are not banned or restricted from applying to the giveaway in any way and are encouraged to apply. There is no age restriction nor is there a date of birth requirement as part of entry.’

‘The questionnaire is written in jest, playing on an ongoing cultural debate in Australia about which generation has had it easiest, with millennially skewed questions designed to be novel and fun. The answers are framed in a way that the correct answer is obvious and this was designed as such to be democratic for all entrants, no matter their age.’

‘Our efforts are simply a tongue-and-cheek love letter to a generation who we can all recognise are doing it tough (Millennial and Gen Z). We love our baby boomer customers and are confident they will understand the novelty of this initiative. Everyone is welcome to apply and we welcome any Australian to try and receive free rent or mortgage for a year.’

What do you think? Do you appreciate their latest statement? Will you be entering the competition? If so, you can enter the competition here. We would love to hear from you.
I thought it was a joke and I started to enter, answered the questions correctly, filled in my details, pressed SEND and the word 'processing' appeared - and stayed!!! Entry didn't go through I presume. So I went through it all again but same thing happened! I reckon they know I have paid off my mortgage lol and blocked me!!!!! (But I DID read all the terms and conditions and that fact didn't seem to exclude me so I thought I would enter anyway!)

• Wow
Reactions: terri and KaraJenna

View attachment 26360

Koala can f*** off. Their latest statement is just smart-arse garbage made to save their face. I think many of us born in the UK in1940s and 1950s remember the times, and into the 1960s, when our parents and ourselves were still doing it hard in the UK despite having a series of governments that worked for us to ensure a decent health service and fees-paid university tuition, if we passed our requisite A-level at a competitive level. Yes; those " boomer perks" were paid for by our parents' taxes and National Insurance Scheme payments deducted from their salaries. That the Australian voter has not supported such a tradition since, when, Menzies, is the Australian voters' problem and has been made we boomers' problem since Hawke and Keating stuffed around with the government guaranteed Old-Aged Pension? Ok kids; we boomers decided to buy extra property with which to support our old age, if we had the money to do so . You would do the same. So stop your whingeing; you'll inherit any wealth we leave. Maybe.............if we think you deserve it!

View attachment 26360

I didn’t think it was funny and I’m a 65 year old with a great sense of humour still won’t buy there👎

View attachment 26360

I got the same reply from them when I told them what I thought.

View attachment 26360

View attachment 26360

Oh Dear
Looks like the Koala is stranded on the top branch sucking gum leaves.
This smacks of young desk jockeys telling old CEO's what to do and how to do it. Those overpaid desk jockeys are most likely reaping the rewards of their brilliant campaign ideas with a performance bonus big enough to pay for their next overseas jaunt.
I am a baby boomer. Like others, there were not 1st home bonus payments, no child care subsidies, and, we only bought stuff we could afford. Yep. Our first home was built by our own 2 hands. I did the owner builder course and away we went. We ate of a table made from cardboard boxes with a cloth on, sat on milk crates and covered the windows with sheets until we could save for curtains. We managed quite well thank you very much and do not have a mortgage either.
Gen X, Y, Z are enjoying the entitlements they believe they deserve. Most would prefer to go into a 50 year debt for a new home because they want all the bells and whistles without waiting. Have you seen some of the homes they are building. I'm not saying they are all the same. Just those who believe they deserve everything the generations before them worked for.
As far as Koala is concerned, they are obviously a younger generation of owners and operators. Otherwise the campaign would have been questioned. Either that or they are a bunch of sheep up a tree, not koalas.

View attachment 26360

One thing all the baby boomers do well is spread the word. We can let all our friends NOT to buy Koala brand mattresses.
Word of mouth advertising. Some companies forget about this powerful medium.

View attachment 26360

View attachment 26360

W

View attachment 26360

What a load a bulls**t from Koala, Just because we are over a certain age doesn't mean have everything.
When we bought our house Interest Rates were 18% no First Home Buyer Grant and we had all second hand furniture and still have some to this day 30 years later. We didn't buy coffee and lunch each day and very rarely went out. Koala can keep there mattresses