Kmart's classic cookbook brings back cherished memories: 'This has just healed my heart so much'

The '80s are back in full swing, and Kmart is leading the charge with a nostalgic trip down memory lane.

The retail giant has re-released a beloved icon from the old days.

The classic cookbook, filled with whimsical and creative cake designs, is now available for $10—a price that pales in comparison to the wealth of memories it evokes.

Michael Jaimie recently discovered The Australian Women's Weekly Children's Birthday Cake Book at his local Kmart.

Unable to contain his excitement, he shared his find with his followers in a video that quickly went viral.

photo (1).jpg
Kmart recently re-released a beloved icon from the '80s. Image source: TikTok/@michaeljaimie.

'This might be my favourite Kmart purchase of all time!' he exclaimed, flipping through the pages of the cake book with a sense of awe and nostalgia.

'I could not believe my eyes,' he added.

'The Women's Weekly Children's Birthday Cake Book. I wish I still had my original vintage one from my childhood, but this was only $10, so I picked it up for my future kids.'

Jaimie's video also showcased some of the iconic cakes that have become synonymous with Australian childhood.

From the soccer ball cake, perfect for sports enthusiasts, to the iconic Barbie doll birthday cake that has graced countless birthday parties, and the infamous chip-beak duck cake—a staple in cake fail photo galleries.

Each page brought back a flood of memories.

'This has just healed my heart so much,' Jaimie concluded.

He urged his viewers to rush to their nearest Kmart to grab a copy.

The video sparked a wave of nostalgia among viewers, with many sharing their own memories of the book.

'I remember just looking at it all the time, dreaming about which one I wanted,' one person commented.

While another added: 'An iconic core memory unlocked!'

You can watch Jamie’s full video below:

Video source: TikTok/@michaeljaimie.

Others reminisced about their own experiences with the book, with one commenter saying, 'I have the original, and my kids used to pick their birthday cake out of it! So nostalgic.'

Some could not resist heading to Kmart themselves after seeing Jaimie’s video.

'Excuse me? Running to Kmart,' one replied.

While another thanked Jaimie for sharing his wonderful find, adding, 'Kmart [really] knows what they're up to!'
Key Takeaways

• Michael Jaimie discovered the re-release of The Australian Women's Weekly Children's Birthday Cake Book at Kmart for $10.
  • The book's reappearance has sparked nostalgia, as many Australians remember picking their birthday cakes from its pages during their childhood.
  • The cake book showcased classic cakes that are well-known in Australian culture, such as the soccer ball cake and the Barbie doll birthday cake.
  • Other users recalled using the original version for their own or their children's birthdays.
What are your memories of The Australian Women's Weekly Children's Birthday Cake Book? Do you have a favourite cake from the book? Share your stories in the comments below.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
Wish I had never lent my original copy to my husband's niece as it came back missing half the pages. Brought myself another copy but not the same as some cakes had changed. Loved bring out the original book for my sons to pick which cake they wanted to have for their birthday.

Reactions: Ezzy and Davmes
I also made many of those cakes for my two daughters and work colleagues. My youngest daughter asked to lend it to make a cake for one of her children so I thought I would go one better and gave it to her. She was happy about that. It would get used more in her hands than mine.