Kmart's $15 kitchenware sparks debate over practicality and design: 'so pointless’

Kmart's latest addition to their kitchenware collection has sparked a debate among shoppers, with a $15 mini kettle and single toaster at the centre of the discussion.

The retailer's announcement on social media, showcasing these pint-sized appliances as 'the perfect addition to cute and cosy kitchens,' has received mixed reactions.

Some consumers are scratching their heads on one side of the fence, wondering who would find a one-slice toaster practical.

'Who would only eat one toast at a time?' one perplexed user commented, echoing the sentiments of many who find the concept of a mini toaster to be 'useless' and 'so pointless.'

1724377806477.png
Kmart’s $15 mini kettle and toaster sparked mixed reactions from customers. Credit: @kmartaus / Instagram

One humorously said, ‘Just because we can, doesn’t mean we should,’

However, it's not all criticism and confusion. The mini range has its defenders, who have quickly highlighted the potential benefits of these compact appliances.

For instance, one supporter pointed out that the mini toaster is ideal for individuals who prefer just one piece of toast or those living the van life, where space is at a premium and every inch counts.

The mini range is about more than just catering to the minimalist or the nomadic. It's also about inclusivity and accessibility.

'Great for elderly who can't lift heavy kettles,' one commenter noted.

‘My thoughts exactly. Everyone is so quick to dismiss, but I have seen first-hand how great these mini frypans and kettles are for older people who physically can no longer lift full-size ones but still want the independence of being able to make themselves a cup of tea or cook a small meal,’ another echoed.

Moreover, the mini range has been praised for its suitability for children's play kitchens, which are becoming increasingly popular.

'For the single and loving it girl!' a comment read.

‘So great for a single person in a tiny apartment with minimal space! But you want it to be cute,’ another chimed in.

And let's remember those with dietary restrictions, such as gluten intolerance, who often require separate appliances to avoid cross-contamination.

Kmart's mini range extends beyond the kettle and toaster. Items like a mini rice cooker, waffle maker, saucepan, air fryer, and more are priced between $6 and $39.

In related news, Kmart Australia introduced a new 'retro' kettle and toaster for just $29 each, mimicking the look of pricier Smeg products.

The stylish ribbed design has proven so popular that these budget-friendly appliances have sold out in some stores. Learn more here.
Key Takeaways
  • Kmart's release of a $15 mini kettle and single toaster has sparked mixed reactions among customers.
  • Some criticise the products as 'pointless' or 'absolutely useless' for their limited functionality.
  • Others defend the items, highlighting their convenience for travellers, the elderly, small households, and those with special dietary needs.
  • Kmart offers a range of mini appliances, including a rice cooker, waffle maker, saucepan, and air fryer, catering to various customer needs.
What do you think of Kmart's mini kitchen appliances? Have you found a small appliance to be a big help in your daily life? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below.

Sponsored
Years ago was able to finally locate, in Oxford Street, a 0.5 litre Bodum kettle that fits perfectly in the small cupboard where I have my tea stuff handy... was so annoyed before with the huge kettle taking space on the board underneath. Yes some of us dont need to buy big either in appliances or worse food that other people throw in the bin happily... May be someone did read the statistics that say a lot of people live alone (and no, it does not mean lonely)

Last edited:
Isis I have come to the conclusion that you remark was made at me - first of all I was replying to the comment made by Jest as it related to me. Perhaps I should have put yes, I am a sucker, but I didn't. Secondly, I am 73 years old not that I think that is old, 2 years ago I had a stroke, I am riddled with arthritis to the extent that some days I can hardly move, my family live over 2 hours away and recently I have said farewell to 3 of my friends, so I am wondering what or who gave you the right to tell me I should change or remove my "cruel" comment. I have a suggestion for you pull the stick that is stuck up your arse and I hope you don't fall to hard off that high horse of yours.
I also have already replied to Jest, I think is comment is bizarre, thoughtless...btw I managed to source a few years ago a Bodum kettle 0.5 l and love it... from my 82 years and luckily, to this point healthy

Last edited:
Oh dear you shouldn't be living on your own what if you fell! My sister had a fall a few days ago resulting in her death l just can't get over how she was on the floor for hours before she passed and how she would have panicked .Her daughter had camera's but failed to check them.So take care.
It is a fact of life... plenty of us live alone... trying to pretend otherwise is not helping anyone... btw alone does not mean lonely, for quite a few of us it means independence and friends/family around

The cheaper alternative to boiling a kettle for one drink is to place a cup of water in the microwave. I even place the teabag in the water in the cup before placing in the microwave. Tea made when it comes out.
I've had many boil overs when I have put the coffee in when the water has come out of the microwave. It was great fun when I younger, but now days I think "oops be very careful you might scald yourself".

Reactions: Ezzy and Littleboy8