Kmart shoppers share scary experience with shattering glassware: 'I had to go get urgent care'

As we age, safety in the home becomes increasingly important.

We're always looking for bargains that make life easier and more comfortable, but sometimes, a deal that seems too good to be true can come with hidden risks.

This is a lesson painfully learned by one Kmart shopper, whose experience serves as a stark warning to all of us who love a good bargain.

The shopper in question purchased a six-pack of glass cups from Kmart for a reasonable price of $4.50.

However, the low cost came at a high price when one of the glasses shattered unexpectedly while being wiped with a cloth, resulting in cuts to two of her fingers.

1727063771577.png
A Kmart shopper was injured when a $4.50 glass cup from a six-pack broke while she was cleaning it. Credit: Kmart

The incident was alarming enough to prompt the shopper to vow never to purchase the item again, especially considering that her daughter, who often helps with the dishes, could have been injured.

'Just a warning about these six-packs of glass cups from Kmart. I was doing the dishes and cleaning out one of the glasses with a cloth, and it broke, cutting two of my fingers,' a user posted.

'Won't be buying these again! Lucky it was me doing the dishes and not my daughter, who normally helps out and does them for me because she may have gotten cut a lot worse!'

This unfortunate event has sparked a conversation among the Kmart community, with other shoppers coming forward to share their hazardous encounters with the same product.

One person even had to seek urgent medical care for their injury.

‘Same thing happened to me with these same glasses!’ one commented.

‘Cut my finger and had to go urgent care to get it fixed up.’

The problem is the fragility of the glasses, with some speculating that hot water may exacerbate the risk of breakage.

‘There’s been LOTS of reports of Kmart glasses breaking like this. Report it to Kmart online, and they will at least refund the purchase,’ one customer advised.

One individual recounted a past injury sustained from cheap glass several years ago.

They reflected on the incident, noting that the scar was difficult to see, but it had resulted from using a shorter version of the glass.

Fortunately, only a tiny skin patch was affected, and they vowed never to make that mistake again.

‘I've had these for years and never had an issue,’ one remarked.

‘I am sorry to hear of your terrible experience!’

‘I chuck mine in the dishwasher, and they’re good,’ someone else mentioned.

While some defended the glasses, claiming they had used them without incident, others pointed out, ‘To be fair, they’re legit $4.50, and you can feel how thin they are. It’s kinda to be expected,’

In light of these discussions, some consumers have suggested that the glasses should be recalled if they are causing such issues.

It's a valid point—no item, no matter how inexpensive, should compromise our safety.

Kmart shoppers are raving about the ‘expensive looking’ Bond Tumblers glassware set, available for just $14 for a set of six.

Customers have taken to social media and the Kmart website to share their positive experiences and photos of the glasses. You can read more about it here.
Key Takeaways
  • A Kmart shopper suffered an injury after a glass cup from a $4.50 six-pack broke while she was cleaning it.
  • The shopper warned others about the fragility of these glasses and expressed relief that her daughter was not the one handling them.
  • Other Kmart shoppers shared similar experiences, with some needing urgent medical care due to injuries from the glassware.
  • Consumers have given mixed reviews about the glassware, with some defending the product and others calling for a recall due to the risk of injury.
Have you had a similar experience with a bargain buy that turned out to be risky? Share your stories with us in the comments below.

Reactions: natalielocket
Sponsored
Wow! A life threatening cuts to two fingers! Did she require an urgent blood transfusion? Quick! Give her a good dose of tranexamic acid to stem the bleeding!

What will be the next story? Someone got their little finger jammed in a door being blown shut by the wind because a Kmart door stopper failed?

When will it ever stop!!!

Wow! A life threatening cuts to two fingers! Did she require an urgent blood transfusion? Quick! Give her a good dose of tranexamic acid to stem the bleeding!

What will be the next story? Someone got their little finger jammed in a door being blown shut by the wind because a Kmart door stopper failed?

When will it ever stop!!!
Nothing like a good dose of sarcasm eh? 🤣😂

Thermal shock does the damage.

Who knows what temperature extremes the glass experienced? If the glass contained an ice cold drink than placed immediately into near boiling water, there's a good chance it will shatter. The forces associated with rapid expansion will see to that.

Reactions: Iggydi and DLHM