Kmart responds to rumours of phasing out manned check-outs

Back in late 2015, Kmart introduced self-service check-outs to provide customers with better efficiency and convenience during peak trading hours - and, let's face it, also probably to save money on labour costs. Here at the SDC, we have mixed feelings about self serve checkouts, but ultimately think they’re a net positive as long as there continues to be enough ‘human powered’ ones for those who prefer to shop that way.

But rumours have begun swirling that the retail giant is planning to completely remove manned check-outs after two Facebook users claimed they had been told that the chain store would only offer self-serve registers in the near future.

P8VGEVaAgAPpkg0X1VVttzgAAN8vPMI_xHRv4bmRf_uScs4QKtwZP87n3XlOutyAnilaRJ0FVwnPiOVXjuELJEnvcR5bj8U5CrcHJoZHPe2XLRrL4ZvQKN4VItRPwzS617NTx3AG

Image Credit: Shiavello

Many were taken aback by the rumour and expressed their disappointment with Kmart in the comments.

“Shame on Kmart for switching totally over to self-service only, which I found out today.” one shopper wrote.

“They will no longer serve you – it is self-service only now.”

“They are taking away jobs from people, young and old, who have already experienced hardship with the pandemic and the extraordinary weather event that caused devastation to both families and homes.”

Another customer backed up the claim saying: “Heard that Kmart is going self-service only at my local soon. Pretty disappointing, not everyone likes self-serve.”

In a Facebook post back in 2016 by Kmart Australia, the chain store first publicly introduced the machines, but they were met with a similar negative reaction.

“Hi Everyone, Self-serve checkouts in Kmart stores aim to provide customers with greater convenience and more efficient purchasing. We also offer manned registers to assist customers providing them with the choice.” the retail giant announced.

“We thank our customers for their support during this change within our store layouts as we strive to deliver the best possible shopping experience at everyday low prices.” they continued.

To which a customer replied: “These are the worst checkouts. I would love to refuse the use of them but last time I was there, nothing else was open. I suggest a boycott of Kmart. What about all the young people of future generations trying to get a basic 'checkout job' to learn the basics of the workforce. No chance going forward with these pointless self serve checkouts that probably cause more issues than they're worth! Bring back the traditional checkout aisles!”

A spokesperson for Kmart released a statement to debunk the recent claims that manned check-outs would be phased out from their stores. They stated that customers could still be served by the staff at registers and that they would always have team members around to assist shoppers.

“At Kmart, we strive to deliver an enjoyable and convenient shopping experience to all our customers whether they choose to shop with us in-store or online.” they said.

“We understand there are many different ways you can shop with us at Kmart and we assure all of our loyal customers that at every step, we will always have a Kmart team member available to support them.”

“Whether it be to greet them at the front entrance, help process transactions, find their favourite items in-store or pack an online order ready for collection or delivery. We look forward to servicing all our customers in the many different ways they like to shop.” the spokesperson clarified.

What’s your personal take on this story? Would you boycott a store that switched to self-checkout only? Share your view with us in the comments below.

Want to learn some alleged secrets that Kmart keeps from us? Watch the video below!

Video Credit: Rita Kaminski

Sponsored
The only problem I have with this young lady, is she’s great at using the F word ( I have no idea what the Vietnam flash back was about) and yet she had to count on her fingers 15-19 is 4 years. How hard is 15+4 it’s 19 once again 15+4=19 and she counted on her fingers. I worked for Coles many years before it became K Mart, those were the days that you had to know how to give change manually. Maybe managers get annoyed with young people because.
1. As she said the employees don’t care about the store or the customers, in other words, not having any pride in their job.
2. They don’t have any idea how to do sums not maths just basic sums like they teach in grade 1 or 2 or do they🤔

I refuse to use self service checkouts, I had a girl refuse to serve me at K-mart she said I had to use the self serve, after a little standoff she decided to come over to the self serve and put my stuff through, she just through it after she had finished and walked away. I complained to the manager but he didnt seem to care. What has happened to customer service.

I would definitely not shop there if they go fully self-serve. I refuse to use the self-service, and have (not in Kmart but in a supermarket) left a trolley full of shopping and exited the store because they would not either open a regular checkout or put my shopping through for me. Apart from the ethical questions of employment, I am disabled, so assistance is normally forthcoming. I am otherwise capable (usually) of doing my own shopping, and don't see why I should have to either prevail on family/friends to assist me or pay someone to do my shopping for me.

What I don't understand is why they have moved the entire checkout set-up to the middle of the store when they complain about shoplifting.

Back in late 2015, Kmart introduced self-service check-outs to provide customers with better efficiency and convenience during peak trading hours - and, let's face it, also probably to save money on labour costs. Here at the SDC, we have mixed feelings about self serve checkouts, but ultimately think they’re a net positive as long as there continues to be enough ‘human powered’ ones for those who prefer to shop that way.

But rumours have begun swirling that the retail giant is planning to completely remove manned check-outs after two Facebook users claimed they had been told that the chain store would only offer self-serve registers in the near future.

P8VGEVaAgAPpkg0X1VVttzgAAN8vPMI_xHRv4bmRf_uScs4QKtwZP87n3XlOutyAnilaRJ0FVwnPiOVXjuELJEnvcR5bj8U5CrcHJoZHPe2XLRrL4ZvQKN4VItRPwzS617NTx3AG

Many were taken aback by the rumour and expressed their disappointment with Kmart in the comments.

“Shame on Kmart for switching totally over to self-service only, which I found out today.” one shopper wrote.

“They are taking away jobs from people, young and old, who have already experienced hardship with the pandemic and the extraordinary weather event that caused devastation to both families and homes.”

Another customer backed up the claim saying: “Heard that Kmart is going self-service only at my local soon. Pretty disappointing, not everyone likes self-serve.”

In a Facebook post back in 2016 by Kmart Australia, the chain store first publicly introduced the machines, but they were met with a similar negative reaction.

“Hi Everyone, Self-serve checkouts in Kmart stores aim to provide customers with greater convenience and more efficient purchasing. We also offer manned registers to assist customers providing them with the choice.” the retail giant announced.

“We thank our customers for their support during this change within our store layouts as we strive to deliver the best possible shopping experience at everyday low prices.” they continued.

To which a customer replied: “These are the worst checkouts. I would love to refuse the use of them but last time I was there, nothing else was open. I suggest a boycott of Kmart. What about all the young people of future generations trying to get a basic 'checkout job' to learn the basics of the workforce. No chance going forward with these pointless self serve checkouts that probably cause more issues than they're worth! Bring back the traditional checkout aisles!”

A spokesperson for Kmart released a statement to debunk the recent claims that manned check-outs would be phased out from their stores. They stated that customers could still be served by the staff at registers and that they would always have team members around to assist shoppers.

“At Kmart, we strive to deliver an enjoyable and convenient shopping experience to all our customers whether they choose to shop with us in-store or online.” they said.

“We understand there are many different ways you can shop with us at Kmart and we assure all of our loyal customers that at every step, we will always have a Kmart team member available to support them.”

“Whether it be to greet them at the front entrance, help process transactions, find their favourite items in-store or pack an online order ready for collection or delivery. We look forward to servicing all our customers in the many different ways they like to shop.” the spokesperson clarified.

What’s your personal take on this story? Would you boycott a store that switched to self-checkout only? Share your view with us in the comments below.

Want to learn some alleged secrets that Kmart keeps from us? Watch the video below!

The Target store in Hervey Bay, Q was self serve only, and when I visited there there was hardly anyone in the store. My friend said it was because of the self checkout. I love Target so I go to the one when I am in Rockhampton. They have both. Target clothes are a better quality then Kmart.

I WILL NEVER use a self-checkout regardless of the store involved. A Checkout is a part of customer service in any retail outlet. Fair enough by all means use a self-checkout if you wish but a serviced checkout should be there to use. It is quicker to go through a maned checkout than doing your own checkout.

I will never use a self service checkout. I still need a staff member to help me with these machines. It is doing people out of jobs and it is slower than a checkout with an operator. If you want to use them great but don't force me to use them. There are few enough staff members on the floor at the best of times.:mad:

I went shopping in KMART INGLE FARM S.A. and was shocked to be told that I had to go through the self serve as the other section was roped off. I was not at all happy so I will think twice about shopping there anymore.

Reactions: Julie1 and Ricci
Way back when, you used to go into a store, give your shopping list to the storekeeper and they would gather your stuff, chatting to you all the time and they actually knew you and your preferences. Next came the supermarkets and you did your own shopping but there was a checkout chick who chatted to you as they put your items through and if you were a regular they called you by name. Somewhere along the line things got impersonal, checkout operators were struck dumb (mainly) and speed became the norm. Now suddenly they want us to do the whole thing ourselves and not actually interact with us in any way. Is it no wonder that they are getting ripped off at the checkout with people putting through items at a cheaper price (or not at all). Bring back service I say, I'm sure folk would rush to a store that offered service as a part of doing business.;)

Reactions: Julie1 and Phyll
Since Kmart put the checkouts in the middle and had mostly self-serve registers I rarely shop there. Several times I have left items on the counter because there was no-one serving at the registers. I used to shop in Kmart weekly but now I go there once a month or less often and buy only items I can't find anywhere else in our smallish shopping centre. Where Kmart would have been the first place I would shop in, now it is the last.

• Sad
Last time I went to KMart in Maddington WA the only check outs you could use were the self serve ones no-one manning the customer servings ones, which makes the rumours seem real.

• Sad
Like others commenting, I’m not a lover of self-serve checkouts.
People have lost their jobs.
My closest option is a BigW and they have a few checkout operators but also have self-serve checkouts.
If no checkout operators available I play dumb.

Our Kmart has 9 self serve and2 maned or should I womaned, I don't know what's PC at the moment, anyway it seems to work. When it gets really busy a service attendant helps keeps the line moving, a very good system. 😀🇦🇺👍

Reactions: Liz and Ricci
I prefer not to shop in Kmart since they put in the cattleyard system of queueing in the middle of the store and self serve. Much of the time our local Kmart does not man the registers. I used to shop in Kmart frequently, now I source the things I want elsewhere unless I'm in a hurry for an item. Paying in the middle of the store, then holding on to the ticket to show at the door and having items checked before leaving is very inefficient. Much more sensible to collect items, pay at the register at the front of the store and then leave.

Reactions: Liz and Ricci
I prefer not to shop in Kmart since they put in the cattleyard system of queueing in the middle of the store and self serve. Much of the time our local Kmart does not man the registers. I used to shop in Kmart frequently, now I source the things I want elsewhere unless I'm in a hurry for an item. Paying in the middle of the store, then holding on to the ticket to show at the door and having items checked before leaving is very inefficient. Much more sensible to collect items, pay at the register at the front of the store and then leave.
Totally agree with you.

Reactions: Ricci