Kmart releases $25 activewear dupe of a $90 designer brand: ‘Super cute’

When it comes to fashion, shoppers are always on the lookout for that perfect combination of style, comfort, and affordability.

Kmart, a beloved retail giant among Australians, has once again sparked joy and conversation within the bargain-hunting community with its newest offer.

The store has recently launched its Active Womens Youth Dance Pants, a $25 activewear item that's causing quite a stir among customers.

Why?

It’s because these stylish and affordable track pants bear a striking resemblance to a high-end design that sells for almost four times the price.

Screenshot 2024-03-01 at 7.56.57 AM.png
Kmart released its Active Womens Youth Dance Pants for $25. Credit: Kmart

The Kmart dance pants, available in classic black with a white waistband or a crisp white, have been compared to Lorna Jane’s Flashdance Pant, which typically retails for $90.

This comparison has sparked a flurry of excitement among shoppers, who are always looking for a good bargain.

The Lorna Jane Flashdance pants have been a staple in the activewear world for years.

Designed by brand creator Lorna Clarkson over 20 years ago, these pants have consistently been a best-seller.

In 2022, they experienced a sudden surge in popularity thanks to social media.

‘The Flashdance pants have been one of the brand’s best-selling styles for many years, so seeing a sudden spike in sales for this cult favourite seemed like it came completely out of the blue,’ Lorna said.

The comfortable and stretchy pants were embraced by a new generation, leading to multiple restocks selling out in less than 24 hours.

‘My first thought was, “Wow! The teenagers are finally getting with it”,’ Lorna joked.

‘It’s amazing to see they are being loved and enjoyed by new generations.’

Now, Kmart's version of these iconic pants is set to follow in their footsteps.

Social media users have been quick to share their thoughts on the budget-friendly dupe, with reactions ranging from eager anticipation to scepticism.

Some shoppers are curious about how the Kmart version was compared to the Lorna Jane original.

'Wonder how they compare to LJ,' one shopper commented.

Others are already planning to purchase the Kmart pants, with one customer saying, 'My daughter wants these for her birthday! I saw them last week. Super cute.'

‘I just bought the Lorna Jane ones, too,’ another said.

‘Target used to have the best dupe! Wore them for years,’ another added.

However, not everyone is sold on the budget version.

‘ALDI has a much better dupe on these that usually come out late February or early March that are $15, in navy and black,’ one said.

Some customers have expressed concerns about the length and fit of the Kmart pants.

'They would be good if they were longer like the LJ ones, such an unflattering length,' one shopper complained.

Another asked, 'Are they low rise like the LJ’s cause I hate them for that. I want a high rise.'

Kmart has long been known for having affordable but quality items.

For instance, Kmart shoppers discovered a $49 floor lamp that was affordable and dubbed it a ‘dupe’ of luxury items that cost more than six times the price.

Which Kmart product is this? You can find out more here.
Key Takeaways
  • Kmart has released its Active Womens Youth Dance Pants for $25, which are being compared to Lorna Jane's Flashdance pants that retail for $90.
  • The affordable pants have sparked a debate among social media users, with some curious about the quality compared to the higher-priced version.
  • The pants have seen success partly due to a social media trend, which has brought a new generation of customers to appreciate the style.
  • Lorna Jane's Flashdance pants have been a best-seller for years, with recent spikes in sales attributed to their discovery and promotion on social media.
Have you seen these dance pants at Kmart? Are you interested in buying a pair? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
I need new pants but I am sorry these do not cut it for me. The length would be half way up my leg being 6ft but then I guess some people will like them... I like LJ but cannot justify $90 for a pair of pants like that and I will not make any even though it could be cheaper... good luck with anyone who buys KMart pants :)

Reactions: DLHM and paulamc52
Aaahh! No thank you, that length looks ridiculous it brings to mind an old saying my Mum used when I was a young girl, 'you'll have to have a party and invite your pants down' - I was very tall and very skinny hence most store bought pants were way too short. These are just ugly.