Kmart kitchen tool in hot waters: Exploding lid turns dinner into disaster!

In the bustling aisles of Kmart, where bargains and budget-friendly items are the norm, shoppers often find themselves delighted with the array of kitchen gadgets and cookware available.

However, a recent incident involving a seemingly innocuous kitchen item has raised alarms, prompting an urgent warning to all who frequent the popular retail chain.

A Kmart shopper's close call with a kitchen steamer has sent shockwaves through the community, serving as a stark reminder of the potential dangers lurking in everyday household items.

Samantha, a member of a Kmart social media group, shared her harrowing experience when the glass lid of her steamer ‘exploded’ during use, sending shards of glass flying across the kitchen.

The aftermath was a scene of chaos, with glass embedded in her husband's hand and their dinner ruined by the unexpected shrapnel.

photo_20240807_090933_0000.png
A Kmart shopper's glass steamer lid ‘exploded’, sending shards into her husband's hand. Credit: Kmart Australia and Facebook / Kmart Home Decor & Hacks Australia

‘For anyone who has a Kmart steamer…Please be careful. Ours exploded tonight, and shards of glass also embedded into my husband's hand and all over our food,’ Samantha cautioned, her post accompanied by photos of the shattered lid and their spoiled meal.

Fortunately, nobody was seriously injured in the shocking incident.

The ordeal has sparked a flurry of responses from the Kmart community, with many echoing Samantha's concerns and recounting their own experiences with the faulty steamer.

From similar explosions to near-misses, the stories shared in the comments paint a picture of a product that may be a ticking time bomb in kitchens across the country.

‘Same thing happened to my son. Fortunately, no one was injured,’ one commenter shared before confirming it was the same brand.

‘His partner was cooking and their son had just walked past the kitchen before it exploded. Furious is an understatement of how I felt. They’d bought it that day.’

‘This happened to me before. I’ll never use a glass lid again,’ another said.

‘I use tinfoil instead, leave room on the sides for the steam to have a place to escape.’

A third added, ‘This happened to us twice; why these pots are not recalled is a mystery to me.’

Another individual shared a similar experience, noting that they hadn't even used it on the stovetop.

‘Same thing happened with mine. Mine was just in the cupboard, and we heard an explosion/shattered everywhere,’ the shopper said.

The danger, it seems, is not limited to the steamer alone. Another Kmart enthusiast reported it is not the only thing to keep an eye on.

‘Same thing happened with the ceramic cooking tray that's apparently ovenproof,’ they recalled.

‘Completely cracked in half whilst cooking pork belly. Oil everywhere, all over the oven. Be careful if you have this dish.’

In light of these alarming accounts, seasoned Kmart shoppers have offered advice on handling such situations.

‘Email the customer service team with pictures and also send them his medical bill if he has one; they would be liable for this as it’s a faulty product,’ one customer advised.

‘Make sure you take it back together with photos. That's very dangerous,’ another added.

‘Really unfortunate. I hope your husband recovers ok. I never do trust the glassware on anything that goes onto heat…but if you do, just be really aware that any glass has to heat up gradually and slowly,’ another suggested.

‘If it goes straight from a cold countertop to a hot pot it’s too fast in the temperature change and causes this to happen.’

This recent incident isn't the first time Kmart cookware has come under fire.

Last year, a concerned mother expressed her outrage over a similar issue, warning that the same product posed a significant risk to households.

This pattern of dangerous experiences highlights the urgent need for Kmart to address these safety concerns and ensure the well-being of its customers.
Key Takeaways
  • A Kmart shopper experienced a dangerous incident when her glass steamer lid ‘exploded’, embedding shards of glass in her husband's hand.
  • The shopper, Samantha, shared photos and a warning on a Kmart social media group.
  • Other group members also recounted similar experiences with shattered glass lids and recommended alternative safety measures or avoiding such products.
  • Commenters advised contacting customer service for a refund or compensation, and one shared a caution about the gradual heating of glassware to prevent such accidents. Kmart has been approached for a statement regarding the incident.
Have you encountered similar issues with kitchen items from any store? How do you ensure the safety of your cookware?