Kmart glasses shatter expectations: Shopper's painful encounter sparks safety warning!

Content warning: This article contains descriptions of a bodily injury, which some may find distressing. Reader discretion is advised.

Shoppers across the country are being warned about potential hazards in a popular retail chain's stores.

A recent alert has surfaced regarding a common in-store feature that could pose risks to customers.

As more people head to their local branches for their shopping needs, it’s crucial to stay informed about the safety issues that could affect their experience.

Chloe, a Kmart enthusiast, was browsing the aisles when she decided to examine a set of ribbed Linear Hiball Glasses, priced at a reasonable $14 for a pack of six.

However, her curiosity came at a cost when the glass she picked up to feel its quality ‘snapped’ in her hand, leading to a rather graphic outcome.

The shattered glass pierced her skin, causing a flow of blood and a rush of concern from both Chloe and nearby shoppers.

image (63).png
A Melbourne Kmart shopper warned others after a display glass broke in her hand, causing injury. Credit: Kmart Australia

The incident quickly drew the attention of Kmart staff, who promptly provided assistance, offering tissues and helping to manage the bleeding and clean up the aftermath.

Chloe's experience, which she shared on social media, was not only a cautionary tale but also a testament to the swift response of the Kmart team during a distressing situation.

‘Not really a hack, more a warning to not buy!’ Chloe's post began, detailing the harrowing event.

‘I was shopping in Kmart today and picked up a display glass to see how it felt when it completely snapped in my hand. The scene was quite graphic, as the thin glass was stuck in my hand, and there was a lot of blood.’

The ordeal left Chloe advising others to think twice before purchasing the ‘thin’ and seemingly fragile glasses.

‘Moral of the story: do not buy the linear highball glasses. They are really thin and not sturdy whatsoever,’ she warned.

‘Thank you to the Kmart staff at the store who quickly came to help me and clean up.’

Chloe's post struck a chord with other Kmart shoppers, many of whom echoed her sentiments.

The comments section became a gathering place for shared experiences, with several customers recounting their own breakage stories involving the same product.

‘We bought these and they have all broken. Many cuts and cleaning glasses. Don't buy!’ one commented.

‘Exact same thing happened to me two weeks ago,’ another shared.

‘I had the tall and small ones of these, every single one has broken during a hand wash over a year of having them,’ a third agreed.

‘Mine broke SO easily, too! Also had an incident while doing the dishes, ended up with three stitches,’ someone else added.

Many others were stunned by the claims, with numerous people suggesting that the products should be ‘taken off the shelf’.

‘Wow! I've had mine for a couple of years and have never had one break,’ one commenter shared.

‘I've heard so many stories about this happening, I'm surprised they still sell them,’ another remarked.

A third bluntly stated, ‘Kmart is cheap. So we can't expect good quality. You get what you pay for.’

Despite the product's visual appeal and dishwasher-safe label, it seems that the Linear Hiball Glasses may not live up to the expectations of durability and safety.

In the face of these alarming reports, Kmart Australia's spokesperson has addressed the concerns, saying, ‘We take the quality and safety of all our products very seriously, and our team are looking into these experiences.’

‘We encourage any customer who experiences an issue with a product to get in touch with our customer service team to ensure that it can be investigated properly.’

The concerns raised by shoppers over the safety of glass displays at Kmart have heightened awareness of in-store hazards.

Sadly, this isn't the first time the retail giant has faced scrutiny for customer safety.

Recently, a real estate CEO filed a lawsuit against Kmart, seeking $205,000 in damages after a slip-and-fall incident inside their store.
Key Takeaways
  • A Kmart Australia shopper in Melbourne issued a warning after a display glass product broke in her hand, causing injury.
  • The shopper and other customers have advised against purchasing the specific Linear Hiball Glasses due to their fragility.
  • Many customers shared similar experiences of the glasses breaking easily and causing injuries.
  • Kmart Australia has responded, stating that they take quality and safety seriously and are looking into the issue, urging customers to contact their customer service for any product issues.
Have you had a similar experience with products that seemed too good to be true? Share your stories with us in the comments below, and let's help each other stay safe while snagging those deals.

Sponsored