Kmart draws flak online over 'disappointing' mistake with a paint-by-numbers kit

We all know that feeling – you spot something at Kmart that's just too good to pass up, so you buy it without a second thought.

And then when you get it home, it's not quite what you expected. Maybe the quality isn't as good as you hoped, or maybe there are some missing pieces (literally)...

It sounds like that might have been the case for one unlucky shopper who opened her recent purchase from Kmart to find a glaring mistake. Yikes!

The shopper shared her dilemma in a popular Facebook group recently. 'Kmart, what is going on here?' she wrote alongside a photo of the contents of her paint-by-numbers kit.

Screen Shot 2022-10-18 at 1.12.00 PM.png
When a Kmart shopper opened her paint-by-numbers kit, she was annoyed to find the correct pieces missing. Credit: Getty (left), Facebook (right).

As you can see from the photo above, there seems to be something not quite right…

Her paint pots are neatly numbered from 1 to 21, but the row with the paint pots numbered from 13 to 17 is missing; in its place, she has two sets of paint pot rows numbered from 7 to 12.

As other group members have pointed out, sometimes doubles of paint pots are needed for coverage – but according to this shopper, that wasn't the case here.

'There's a whole row missing,' the shopper explained. 'Yes, we need the numbers that we are missing. No, we don't appear to need extra of the colours that there are extras of.'

Screen Shot 2022-10-18 at 1.11.53 PM.png
On the Kmart website, it says that the paint pots in rows 13–17 should be in the kit. Credit: Kmart.

Anko, a home brand sold by Kmart, produces a variety of paint-by-number craft kits with regular prices starting at $9. However, you can score a deal when they are marked down to clear for just $3.

Their kits have a wide variety of themes, from picturesque landscapes of Paris and Venice to little critters like owls and parrots to dazzling displays of flowers and more.

Several fellow Kmart shoppers in the Facebook group came forward and shared their disappointing experiences as well.

One user in the comments section wrote: 'Yep, you're definitely missing a row. I do a lot of Kmart paint by numbers, and if there are 'double ups' of colours, then the corresponding number is duplicated next to it, not forming a whole row plus deleting the subsequent row.'

Then, they went on to say, 'Return it for a new one; otherwise, you will forever be disappointed you started something you couldn't finish (speaking from experience).'

Tip
To make it simple to return defective or damaged goods to the retailer, save your purchase receipts!

A second user added: 'Story of my life, I don't ever want to buy my kid those craft kits because I win the lottery of double up [or] missing bits to complete the kit every single time.'

Luckily, another Kmart shopper helped her out. When they realised they were both painting a yoga girl, the generous member of the group volunteered to mail her extra paint.

What about you, folks? Was there anything you bought at Kmart recently that you ended up returning? Share them with us in the comments!

• Sad
Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci
Sponsored
Again why post this, why didn't she call kmart or return it.

On line purchases if something is wrong or missing you email them and add a photo and they will refund you.

I ordered 12 vases and when they arrived 3 were broken ....oh maybe I should have taken a photo and posted it on line.....kmart then refunded me and not for the 3 but for the whole 12. My daughter then called in and picked me up 3. These were to be used for table decorations at my daughters baby shower

OMG, as the word-deficient members of the community keep on saying, what's the world coming to? And are you still not allowed to finish a sentence with a preposition? THE SKY IS FALLING!

Last edited:
Reactions: Ricci and Macarj
We all know that feeling – you spot something at Kmart that's just too good to pass up, so you buy it without a second thought.

And then when you get it home, it's not quite what you expected. Maybe the quality isn't as good as you hoped, or maybe there are some missing pieces (literally)...

It sounds like that might have been the case for one unlucky shopper who opened her recent purchase from Kmart to find a glaring mistake. Yikes!

The shopper shared her dilemma in a popular Facebook group recently. 'Kmart, what is going on here?' she wrote alongside a photo of the contents of her paint-by-numbers kit.

View attachment 7398
When a Kmart shopper opened her paint-by-numbers kit, she was annoyed to find the correct pieces missing. Credit: Getty (left), Facebook (right).

As you can see from the photo above, there seems to be something not quite right…

Her paint pots are neatly numbered from 1 to 21, but the row with the paint pots numbered from 13 to 17 is missing; in its place, she has two sets of paint pot rows numbered from 7 to 12.

As other group members have pointed out, sometimes doubles of paint pots are needed for coverage – but according to this shopper, that wasn't the case here.

'There's a whole row missing,' the shopper explained. 'Yes, we need the numbers that we are missing. No, we don't appear to need extra of the colours that there are extras of.'

View attachment 7399
On the Kmart website, it says that the paint pots in rows 13–17 should be in the kit. Credit: Kmart.

Anko, a home brand sold by Kmart, produces a variety of paint-by-number craft kits with regular prices starting at $9. However, you can score a deal when they are marked down to clear for just $3.

Their kits have a wide variety of themes, from picturesque landscapes of Paris and Venice to little critters like owls and parrots to dazzling displays of flowers and more.

Several fellow Kmart shoppers in the Facebook group came forward and shared their disappointing experiences as well.

One user in the comments section wrote: 'Yep, you're definitely missing a row. I do a lot of Kmart paint by numbers, and if there are 'double ups' of colours, then the corresponding number is duplicated next to it, not forming a whole row plus deleting the subsequent row.'

Then, they went on to say, 'Return it for a new one; otherwise, you will forever be disappointed you started something you couldn't finish (speaking from experience).'

Tip
To make it simple to return defective or damaged goods to the retailer, save your purchase receipts!

A second user added: 'Story of my life, I don't ever want to buy my kid those craft kits because I win the lottery of double up [or] missing bits to complete the kit every single time.'

Luckily, another Kmart shopper helped her out. When they realised they were both painting a yoga girl, the generous member of the group volunteered to mail her extra paint.

What about you, folks? Was there anything you bought at Kmart recently that you ended up returning? Share them with us in the comments!
For goodness sake - just return it and stop making such a stupid fuss!!! Why are we reading about rubbish like this?

Andy Warhol sure got it right ... and, now, it's immeasurably easier with antisocial media.

Reactions: Ricci

View attachment 7398

View attachment 7399

Tip

Not Kmart what’s going on here, the question needs to be directed to the manufacturer!!

Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci
This is a learning lesson for the painter. How to mix colours to get the one you want. A bit of free hand work never hurts.
Nah, that's in the too-hard basket. And, anyway, what's wrong if a 3-year-old paints a sky in puce or primrose colours, or the kid produces a dog with zebra stripes? Ain't beauty in the eyes of the beholder?

Last edited:
Reactions: Ricci
With respect. I believe these would be good for any enthusiastic person who enjoys painting & may not have drawing experience such as myself. Another group of people ( who may have no imagination ), are the poor soles who are mentally handicapped. I can visualise the joy someone like this would get from these.

A staff member from a group where such people go on a daily basis recently stated that they would take jig-saws with pieces missing because these folk get bored easily & won't stick at this. These paint sets, bought on special, would be another cheap option for these folk. The centre l attend already give the centre what they asked for, jig-saw puzzles with a piece missing.

I've had a similar experience with those ridiculously cheap paint-by-number kits too. You know, the ones that seem like an incredible deal at first, but then you realize why they're so cheap. I remember buying one thinking I hit the jackpot, only to find out the quality was subpar and the paints were dried up.
After that disappointment, I decided to do some research and found that ordering painting by numbers kits online can be a game-changer. There are websites that specialize in high-quality kits with vibrant paints and clear numbering. It's like upgrading from a dollar-store knockoff to a professional-grade set.
I've been hooked on painting by numbers ever since. It's such a relaxing and therapeutic hobby, but it's important to have the right materials to truly enjoy it.

Last edited: