SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Vella Gonzaga

Vella Gonzaga

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 23, 2021
Kit bag

Who here watched their dads stride out of the house with their kit bag in one hand and their hard hat in the other? Back in the day, dads packed this trusty old kit bag with all sorts of things, from their lunch to tools, before going to work. And let’s not forget how durable this bag was. It could withstand anything our dads threw at it - and believe me; they threw a lot. Rain, mud, dust, you name it. Is your dad’s old kit bag still kicking around somewhere in your garage? Do you have any fond memories of this bag? Share them in the comments below.

nostalgia.jpg
Credits: Wikipedia

Reactions: Joysey
remember the bag as a Gladstone bag saw lot of workers take their daily needs in them - good for the odd nip or two - also saw lot of shearers cooks who had them as their toolbox off spices, curries, add-ons for cooking

• Love
Reactions: Vella Gonzaga
I also remember them as a Gladstone Bag. My dad had one when I was very small. He would take it with him to work in the city at a place called Manahans, which no longer exists. It was a store just like a Coles or Wollies.

Kit bag

Who here watched their dads stride out of the house with their kit bag in one hand and their hard hat in the other? Back in the day, dads packed this trusty old kit bag with all sorts of things, from their lunch to tools, before going to work. And let’s not forget how durable this bag was. It could withstand anything our dads threw at it - and believe me; they threw a lot. Rain, mud, dust, you name it. Is your dad’s old kit bag still kicking around somewhere in your garage? Do you have any fond memories of this bag? Share them in the comments below.

View attachment 16495
Credits: Wikipedia

My husband acquired one of these Gladstone Bags and when he travelled, strapped it to the back seat of his Harley. He particularly liked it because of its size and accessibility when it was opened, plus it was very water resistant. It was well travelled. After he died, it was passed onto a friend who was always trying to get hold of one, so the travels continue today for the Gladstone.

• Love
My father worked for the Queensland Raikways in Ipswich from when he was 15 till he retired when 65. He took one of these bags to work every day, he walked from our house in Booval to the railway station & caught the train every week day to Ipswich. All the other men had one too. I remember he carried his lunch and a packet of Bex powders in the bag. The bags were practically indestructible. I was born in 1946.

• Love
Oh my! Thank you to everyone who took the time to share your memories with us. It’s been a real trip down memory lane. Please share a photo of your Gladstone bags if you still have them. I am curious to see how they look now after all these years! 😊