KFC’s fast food ‘trick’ leaves customers with less than paid for: ‘Getting a bit scungy’

In the land of the fair go, nothing ruffles feathers quite like the sense that we're not getting what we've paid for.

It's a principle that extends from the local pub's parma night to the drive-thru of our favourite fast food joints.

But what happens when that principle is compromised by a sneaky trick that leaves us with less than we bargained for?

A photo that surfaced from a Queensland KFC has caused quite a stir among fast food aficionados.

The image, which was shared on social media, revealed a sign instructing employees on how to pack fries in a way that could only be described as stingy.

The sign, positioned above the fry warmer for all staff to see, reads: 'Team: Reminder on packing chips—do not tap! Hold the box in the middle! Just put the right amount & not too much.'

compressed-Screenshot 2024-06-13 at 7.51.47 AM.jpeg
A photo revealed a reminder for the employees on how to pack chips at KFC. Credit: u/Nekzatiim / Reddit

The customer who snapped the photo captioned it: 'Getting a bit scungy with the chips at my local KFC.'

And the reactions online were swift and empathetic. One commenter lamented the penny-pinching tactic, saying, 'Geez. [...]I think potatoes are one thing that hasn't gone up much out of all the inflationary stuff.'

‘Even if potatoes went up 300 per cent, they are almost free when you buy the bulk that KFC does. They can easily afford to do large chips for a maximum of $1. In fact, any more is simply greedy, and yet they get away with it,’ another replied.

But it's not just KFC that's come under fire for such practices. Employees from other fast-food chains have chimed in, confirming that they've been taught similar methods.

‘The manual literally said to squeeze the middle of the box before putting the chips in, then maintain pressure until you placed it in the paper bag so the chips poke out the top like on the pictures—giving the illusion that it was full,’ a worker revealed.

‘Doing it the official way gave a customer about 50 per cent of the chips that they'd expect.’

However, not only fast food chains have been using this method.

In a previous story, an ALDI shopper was shocked to discover that a packet of chips only contained a tiny amount of broken chips.

The shopper's social media post sparked an intense reaction, with many reporting similar experiences. You can read more about the story here.
Key Takeaways

• A customer has taken a sneaky photo at a Queensland KFC, showing a sign instructing workers to pack fewer chips.
  • The sign told employees not to tap the box and to hold it in a way that restricts the number of fries to give the illusion that the box is fuller than it is.
  • In the comments, people expressed outrage at the practice, noting that potatoes are still a relatively cheap commodity, especially in bulk even with inflation.
  • Employees from other fast-food chains revealed they had been taught similar tactics to give customers less than they expected.
Have you ever felt short-changed by a fast-food chain? Share your stories with us in the comments below!

• Angry
Reactions: Lesle
Sponsored
Everything is being downsized but the price is the same for less. I bought a pkt of Mr Kiplings cakes they had shaved at least 1/4 inch all around the oblong cookies

Reactions: Gsr
we bought some chicken schnitzels at the local butchery recently,,they were so thin you couldn't taste the chicken ,only the bread crumbs ,,I refuse to buy more,,I said to hubby they must be trying to get more from the fillets now,,,then I went into Woolworths yesterday to do my groceries,,I got some bacon and even the girl behind the show case said how thin it is now,,you can feel it in each slice,,,she said we can't win which ever way we go...we are being ripped off everywhere

we cant be buying like we have been..time to rethink our purchases, I make a pancake mix for less than $1 (enough for10 pancakes, keeps in the fridge for 3-4days),bake a cake ,less than $2, crumpets under $2 for15 and I defy anyone to taste the difference between Coles cornflakes and Kellogg at twice the price,Create a pantry and buy certain foods that keep, in qty, like rice, sugar flour salt pepper, canned goods etc, we buy a lot on habit..try others it pays, use a shopping list (STRICTLY) and forget loyalty, try loyalty to our own family budgets I know it takes a bit of time to shop around , but it Is worth it dollar wise

KFC and Maccas are both the scabbiest serves in takeaway. I bought a McFlurry the other day and the cup was barley half full with some M&M's and charged me $4.50. Wouldn't have been enough icecream to fill a cone. I politely told them I won't ever be back and what they could do with their overpriced slop.
Last time I had KFC tenders box, the tender strips were the size of chicken nuggets, there was 12 chips if the packet and the pop corn chicken was only half full.

Went through KFC drive through a couple of days ago - got home to discover the "large" chips was less than 3/4 of the usual serve - not going back there in a hurry - scuzbuckets!

we bought some chicken schnitzels at the local butchery recently,,they were so thin you couldn't taste the chicken ,only the bread crumbs ,,I refuse to buy more,,I said to hubby they must be trying to get more from the fillets now,,,then I went into Woolworths yesterday to do my groceries,,I got some bacon and even the girl behind the show case said how thin it is now,,you can feel it in each slice,,,she said we can't win which ever way we go...we are being ripped off everywhere
Got the same thinness from Tea Garden Butcher

Reactions: anouch and Gsr
we cant be buying like we have been..time to rethink our purchases, I make a pancake mix for less than $1 (enough for10 pancakes, keeps in the fridge for 3-4days),bake a cake ,less than $2, crumpets under $2 for15 and I defy anyone to taste the difference between Coles cornflakes and Kellogg at twice the price,Create a pantry and buy certain foods that keep, in qty, like rice, sugar flour salt pepper, canned goods etc, we buy a lot on habit..try others it pays, use a shopping list (STRICTLY) and forget loyalty, try loyalty to our own family budgets I know it takes a bit of time to shop around , but it Is worth it dollar wise
I have always cooked from scratch, surprising how far it is stretching the shopping dollar. I try the homebrands if I don't like it I won't purchase again.

Reactions: anouch and Gsr
Our local KFC double dips, they charge gst on each item, then charge it again on the total. I have proven this on many occasions by checking the docket and adding up the prices. This has been on meal deals. Despite raising the issue with the store manager more than once and trying to escalate it to top management it still happens. It is pretty much impossible to get any response from top management. I have sent the details to fair trading but never heard anything back. I also find less of everything in whatever you order. Maccas is the same with food, the chips are never more than two thirds full anymore, burgers are smaller nearly evertime you get them, drinks have all been downsized as well. Last week we went out to a local hotel for tea for our grandsons birthday. I ordered the lamb shank, cost $32. When it arrived the bone was lucky to be four inches long, must have been a baby lamb, the meat was cut open on the bone and half of it at least was missing. The rest of the plate was covered in instant mashed potato, with two baby carrots and gravy. Should have been a ten dollar meal. Last time we go there. The other three meals were much cheaper, much bigger and very nice but we still won’t go there again.

Our local KFC double dips, they charge gst on each item, then charge it again on the total. I have proven this on many occasions by checking the docket and adding up the prices. This has been on meal deals. Despite raising the issue with the store manager more than once and trying to escalate it to top management it still happens. It is pretty much impossible to get any response from top management. I have sent the details to fair trading but never heard anything back. I also find less of everything in whatever you order. Maccas is the same with food, the chips are never more than two thirds full anymore, burgers are smaller nearly evertime you get them, drinks have all been downsized as well. Last week we went out to a local hotel for tea for our grandsons birthday. I ordered the lamb shank, cost $32. When it arrived the bone was lucky to be four inches long, must have been a baby lamb, the meat was cut open on the bone and half of it at least was missing. The rest of the plate was covered in instant mashed potato, with two baby carrots and gravy. Should have been a ten dollar meal. Last time we go there. The other three meals were much cheaper, much bigger and very nice but we still won’t go there again.
Simple Answer don't buy takeaway or go out for a meal if you are so disgruntled. We don't do it often but always enjoy the fact we can afford to treat ourselves occasionally & go out for a meal. Businesses still have to run & make money!

Simple Answer don't buy takeaway or go out for a meal if you are so disgruntled. We don't do it often but always enjoy the fact we can afford to treat ourselves occasionally & go out for a meal. Businesses still have to run & make money!
yes they do but pretty much all of them are stealing from their customers,,,we hardly ever have take away food because we pretty much don't like it,,to greasy,but if I was served a meal like the comments on here I'm afraid I would ask where the rest is that I paid for