Kate Winslet shares revelation about her struggles with body image

Oscar-winning actress Kate Winslet recently laid bare the troubling truth of Hollywood's obsession with drastic weight loss methods and shared her harrowing struggle with an eating disorder.

Winslet divulged her battle with an eating disorder at the cusp of her fame following the monumental success of Titanic, something she hadn't previously made public.

In an exclusive conversation with The New York Times, Winslet was asked about Ozempic, a drug used for patients diagnosed with type 2 diabetes which was also used for aiding weight loss.

‘I actually don’t know what Ozempic is,’ she said.

‘All I know is that it’s some pill that people are taking or something like that.’

shutterstock_637528798.jpg
Kate Winslet was asked about the use of Ozempic. Credit: Shutterstock

When Ozempic’s use was explained, her response was, 'This sounds terrible. Let's eat some more things!'

It was in this sincere and candid conversation that Winslet opened up about her own struggles that brewed in the wake of her Titanic fame.

Back then, the media labelled her as overweight. It battered her self-esteem to the extent of the late comedian Joan Rivers wounding her with a remark that it was Winslet's size 'that sunk the Titanic’.

Amid such criticism, Winslet revealed she developed an eating disorder, a secret she'd held close to her chest until now.

'I never told anyone about it,' said Winslet, who has received both Oscars and the admiration of cinema-goers worldwide.

‘Because guess what—people in the world around you go: “Hey, you look great! You lost weight!”’

‘So even the compliment about looking good is connected to weight. And that is one thing I will not let people talk about. If they do, I pull them up straight away.’

This isn’t the first time Winslet has reflected on the damaging culture of weight scrutiny within Hollywood.

In 2022, she shared regrets on the Happy Sad Confused podcast about not confronting her critics from a young age.

‘I would have said, “Don’t you dare treat me like this. I’m a young woman, my body is changing, I’m figuring it out, I’m deeply insecure, I’m terrified, don’t make this any harder than it already is,”’ she said.

Winslet added that criticisms can be extremely negative.

‘People are subject to scrutiny that is more than a young, vulnerable person can cope with. But in the film industry, it is really changing,’ she said.

‘When I was younger, my agent would get calls saying, “How’s her weight?” I kid you not. So it’s heartwarming that this has started to change.’

You can watch her interview on the Happy Sad Confused podcast below:

Credit: Josh Horowitz / YouTube

Other celebrities have also been open about their struggles with their bodies.

In a previous story, Hollywood talk show host Oprah Winfrey shared her journey towards weight loss.

She admitted in a candid interview she was using a medication to help her manage weight. You can read more about her story here.
Key Takeaways
  • Actress Kate Winslet opened up about her own battle with an eating disorder that she suffered from after the success of her film Titanic.
  • During an interview, she expressed her concern over compliments connected to weight loss and the negative impact it can have.
  • Winslet reflected on her past experiences in the film industry, noting that there is now a positive shift in attitudes towards weight and body image.
What do you think of Kate Winslet’s revelations? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
I feel so sad that she had to go through that. Having always been the bigger girl, I get it, its cruel and it changes you to the point that it becomes psychologically tough to ever lose weight because its about everyone else. Love that story and I respect her work so much.

Reactions: Macarj and Gsr
I have never even thought about her as being over weight, she's lovely