Karl Stefanovic's one-on-one dance performance with an international celebrity is a strange sight to behold

Karl Stefanovic can be a contentious TV personality to watch on air. He’s known for his cheeky antics, like when he took off his clothes and flaunted his bare chest on national television. (It certainly got everyone talking…)

He also tends to say things that aren't quite appropriate, as was the case when he made fun of Meghan Markle's shock at hearing that a fire broke out in Archie's nursery room.

And yet, we can't deny that he has an air of charisma and personality that likely played a role in his being given the rare opportunity to interview Shaquille O'Neal on his visit to Australia.

In fact, the Today anchor even got to break it down on the dance floor with the basketballer! Now, that's something that doesn't happen to just anyone…

g9Eh5QPLecdpzRR30p_1ar0MhsCmOsJYXuEgurvX1SDVQs-pKgPPpOUlmPTuWO3kHyIdiOY3DyjP9Ix88J6z3Jc_LGmHTxPjVYsd7nTcLfCULJdJA1BrpWEpwl76eaBxxQkFtpGxsDF5NvMRSN_yoxE

Karl interviewed Shaq for Today and they did the famous Flashdance routine to the song 'Maniac'. Credit: TODAY.

Last week, Karl Stefanovic won over fans and viewers with a hilarious dance video featuring NBA icon Shaquille O'Neal.

The two were reenacting Shaq's legendary Flashdance routine to the song 'Maniac', on Lip Sync Battle.

Karl appeared small in relation to 2.16-meter-tall Shaq, which was a rather strange sight to behold. (To be fair, Karl stands at 1.78 meters, which is tall for an average Aussie already.)

The interview started without incident; they said hello and hugged each other. But as soon as the formalities were out of the way, both of them instantly busted out the footwork as ‘Maniac’ was playing in the background.

They began by running on the spot, before Shaq instructed Karl to roll his shoulders backwards. 'Now spin around on the spot, butt out, butt out,' instructed the basketball legend, as Karl complied and wiggled his butt on-air.

'That's great, Karl. Keep it tight,' ordered Shaq.

Following their spontaneous dance, the two men pretended to be exhausted and dropped on the couch, with Karl exclaiming to Shaq, 'I'm hot!'

If you want to see the original version of Shaq's 'Maniac' show-winning dance routine, check out the video below. You won't be disappointed!

Credit: Comedy Central Latinoamérica

Shaq is currently in Australia for a fan meet-and-greet tour, and he has guaranteed Karl that he 'plans on going hard' during his time in the country.

'It has been 20 years since you've been here; that's a long time between dances,' Karl said after the two of them had settled on the interview couch.

'Why has it taken you so long to come back?'

'I have been working, but I’ve always loved the Australian people,' replied the NBA star.

The 50-year-old has nearly two decades of professional basketball experience, and thanks to his relentless work ethic, he has also made a name for himself as a rapper, actor, DJ, and even a sheriff's deputy.

'A lot of people talk about being rich and famous; I never wanted to be rich,' Shaq said.

'I just wanted to buy my parents a house; they never had anything of their own. They do what most parents do and sacrifice for their kids, the little money they had to take care of me, four sisters and a brother.'

He claimed that his upbringing with four sisters had given him the grit necessary to succeed, and he offered some sensible advice to his younger fans and supporters.

'First, listen to your mummy and daddy,' he said, adding: 'Second thing, follow your dreams – and third, your favourite player, do everything that he has done – steal it.'

You can watch the full interview here:

Credit: TODAY.

So what do you think, members? Was Karl keeping up with the NBA legend's dance moves? Will you be trying to meet Shaq while he’s down under? Share your thoughts in the comments!

Sponsored