Karl Stefanovic and Allison Langdon are in hot water after insensitive comments about the World Cup

The World Cup has only just begun and fans from all around the globe are already making the event one for the history books.

While many fans are enjoying the iconic sporting event, some Aussie news anchors found themselves making controversial remarks about some of the attendees, including the Qatari fans...

An Australian business owner called out Karl Stefanovic and Allison Langdon for mocking the apparent lack of Qatari women in the crowd of the 2022 World Cup.

Rami Ykmour, the Lebanese-Australian co-founder of the popular restaurant chain, Rashays, was furious after seeing a clip of the show, Today, shared by Nine.

In the video, Sports Reporter Clint Stanaway discussed a ‘strange’ atmosphere at the 2022 World Cup in Doha.

‘I've been to World Cups before and it's just a different atmosphere, I guess,’ he said.

In response, Karlson sarcastically commented: ‘It's good to see a lot of women enjoying it over there too, Clappery.’

‘There weren’t too many in the stands,’ added Stanaway.

Ally Langdon, chuckling, said: ‘Haven’t spotted one there yet.’

Mr Ykmour, who was enraged by the two hosts' comments, shared the video from their show in a TikTok post, demanding an apology from both parties.

‘I’ve watched the soccer and there are plenty of women,’ said Mr Ykmour.

b1d4a969eafdd9d331bf826efa8f4f4c

Stefanovic has drawn criticism for his remarks regarding the absence of women from the World Cup. Credit: TikTok/9News.

The entrepreneur then accused the TV presenters of racism.

He continued: ‘Any chance to punch anyone of Middle Eastern background, they will, and they’ve got to understand there’s a lot of us out here and that’s not the way we think, that’s not the way we behave.’

‘That is just pure, pure racism.’

The hosts' comments, combined with the fans in the photos of the event, led to an incorrect assumption that the 2022 World Cup was dominated by male fans and very few females.

Qatar's rules about male guardianship of women have been criticised by the Human Rights Watch (HRW) in the past.

According to HRW, the non-governmental organisation, Qatari law clearly states that Qatari women must be in the care of a parent or husband and must obtain their permission to ‘marry, study abroad on government scholarships, work in many government jobs, travel abroad until certain ages, and receive some forms of reproductive health care’.

Because of such laws and restrictions on the freedom of Qatari women, senior women's rights researcher at Human Rights Watch, Rothna Begum says that the lives of women in Qatar are far from ‘full, productive, and independent’.

‘Male guardianship reinforces the power and control that men have over women’s lives and choices and may foster or fuel violence, leaving women few viable options to escape abuse from their families and husbands,’ Begum said.

Attendees of the World Cup also showed support for Mr Ykmour, agreeing that there were plenty of female attendees.

‘Literally sat next to a Qatari woman cheering with her son and directly behind three Qatari women, not to mention the whole stadium,’ one user wrote in the comments.

Another added: ‘I was at a game yesterday and there were plenty of women around me!!!’

Many also took offence with the hosts over the comments about the 2022 World Cup ban on selling beer inside the stadiums.

One person said: ‘Just imagine an angry fan and drunk too (sic). Thank god Qatar banned beer.’

‘It's strange because they are sober for the first time in years,’ said a second user.

A third chimed in: ‘It's like people are shocked that it's possible to have fun without alcohol involved.’

Key Takeaways

• Karl Stefanovic and Allison Langdon have been accused of racism for their comments about the lack of Qatari women at the World Cup
  • Rami Ykmour, the Lebanese-Australian co-founder of the popular restaurant chain Rashays, called on Stefanovic and Langdon to apologise
  • Qatar’s rules around male guardianship of women have been criticised by Human Rights Watch (HRW) in the past

What are your thoughts on this? Was Stefanovic being insensitive to Middle Eastern culture? Share them with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
The World Cup has only just begun and fans from all around the globe are already making the event one for the history books.

While many fans are enjoying the iconic sporting event, some Aussie news anchors found themselves making controversial remarks about some of the attendees, including the Qatari fans...

An Australian business owner called out Karl Stefanovic and Allison Langdon for mocking the apparent lack of Qatari women in the crowd of the 2022 World Cup.

Rami Ykmour, the Lebanese-Australian co-founder of the popular restaurant chain, Rashays, was furious after seeing a clip of the show, Today, shared by Nine.

In the video, Sports Reporter Clint Stanaway discussed a ‘strange’ atmosphere at the 2022 World Cup in Doha.

‘I've been to World Cups before and it's just a different atmosphere, I guess,’ he said.

In response, Karlson sarcastically commented: ‘It's good to see a lot of women enjoying it over there too, Clappery.’

Mr Ykmour, who was enraged by the two hosts' comments, shared the video from their show in a TikTok post, demanding an apology from both parties.

Stefanovic has drawn criticism for his remarks regarding the absence of women from the World Cup. Credit: TikTok/9News.

He continued: ‘Any chance to punch anyone of Middle Eastern background, they will, and they’ve got to understand there’s a lot of us out here and that’s not the way we think, that’s not the way we behave.’

The hosts' comments, combined with the fans in the photos of the event, led to an incorrect assumption that the 2022 World Cup was dominated by male fans and very few females.

Qatar's rules about male guardianship of women have been criticised by the Human Rights Watch (HRW) in the past.

According to HRW, the non-governmental organisation, Qatari law clearly states that Qatari women must be in the care of a parent or husband and must obtain their permission to ‘marry, study abroad on government scholarships, work in many government jobs, travel abroad until certain ages, and receive some forms of reproductive health care’.

Because of such laws and restrictions on the freedom of Qatari women, senior women's rights researcher at Human Rights Watch, Rothna Begum says that the lives of women in Qatar are far from ‘full, productive, and independent’.

‘Male guardianship reinforces the power and control that men have over women’s lives and choices and may foster or fuel violence, leaving women few viable options to escape abuse from their families and husbands,’ Begum said.

Attendees of the World Cup also showed support for Mr Ykmour, agreeing that there were plenty of female attendees.

‘Literally sat next to a Qatari woman cheering with her son and directly behind three Qatari women, not to mention the whole stadium,’ one user wrote in the comments.

Another added: ‘I was at a game yesterday and there were plenty of women around me!!!’

Many also took offence with the hosts over the comments about the 2022 World Cup ban on selling beer inside the stadiums.

One person said: ‘Just imagine an angry fan and drunk too (sic). Thank god Qatar banned beer.’

‘It's strange because they are sober for the first time in years,’ said a second user.

A third chimed in: ‘It's like people are shocked that it's possible to have fun without alcohol involved.’

Key Takeaways

• Karl Stefanovic and Allison Langdon have been accused of racism for their comments about the lack of Qatari women at the World Cup
  • Rami Ykmour, the Lebanese-Australian co-founder of the popular restaurant chain Rashays, called on Stefanovic and Langdon to apologise
  • Qatar’s rules around male guardianship of women have been criticised by Human Rights Watch (HRW) in the past

What are your thoughts on this? Was Stefanovic being insensitive to Middle Eastern culture? Share them with us in the comments below!

That man wants to get a life it was a joke

I couldn't see any racist comments.
It's horrible and inhumane how women are treated in Qatar.

I was disappointed when I found out Qatar actually got The World Cup . For how they treat women all sporting events should never be allowed to held there. The amount of money received by the host nation is incredible. This country should be punished not rewarded

Rami Ykmour the owner of Rashays was on the news during lockdown. He refused to wear a mask or informed his staff to wear a mask or social distance.
He likes to not obey the Australian laws and hopefully he doesn't treat women the way they do back in Qatar.

I bet you there were no women at the world cup without their husbands or father .

I hate what sometimes come out of Karl's, mouth but this time I don't see it being bad .
I have no respect for Mr Rami Ykmour

Key Takeaways

My thoughts are you can’t say anything without someone being offended. Get a life and stop being offended over every small detail that comes out someone’s mouth. We have all lost our personalities as we watch everything we say now in case we offend. 😱😱😱

The thing is we have to tread very carefully around any other race that has different lifestyles to us but are they so careful when dealing with us? No, they are not. It is arrogance from the middle Eastern men that gets up our noses. We are a people who are happy in our own country, but we are sometimes not happy with the fact we have to share that country with people who want to keep all the bad things that they purportedly ran away from & seem to hold us liable for their discontent because they don't embrace our freer lifestyle.

I didn't see any women in that photo? We all know how Muslims treat women and children, so what is this crap these Muslims are carrying on about - trying to drive the wedge in deeper and get more handouts maybe

The thing is we have to tread very carefully around any other race that has different lifestyles to us but are they so careful when dealing with us? No, they are not. It is arrogance from the middle Eastern men that gets up our noses. We are a people who are happy in our own country, but we are sometimes not happy with the fact we have to share that country with people who want to keep all the bad things that they purportedly ran away from & seem to hold us liable for their discontent because they don't embrace our freer lifestyle.
Well said and to the point. Thank you for voicing what a lot of people think.

Key Takeaways

Karl and Ally are correct. Very few women there and women are second class citizens in arab countries. No human rights over there.

Reactions: Jersey Girl

Key Takeaways

Two idiots on a breakfast show show respect for others you imbeciles

Key Takeaways

What are your thoughts on this? Was Stefanovic being insensitive to Middle Eastern culture? Share them with us in the comments

Key Takeaways

Who on earth would want to listen to anything this idiot has to say? Especially someone who blatantly broke Australian covid rules and wanted to encourage other people to do so as well!!!

How is it racist to make an observation about something anyway, especially when it's true? Womens rights, or should be lack of rights, is the same in most of the countries in that area. Why doesn't he see what's going on in his own country? Women there don't have full rights in a lot of things.
Unfortunately, I went to one of his restaurants once until I found out he owns them, but I boycott them now. There's plenty of much nicer restaurants around.

Reactions: Gaydie