Kamahl’s open letter to Hey Hey It's Saturday host Daryl Somers seeks a response to ‘unanswered question’

Singer Kamahl shared an open letter to Hey Hey It’s Saturday host Daryl Somers following the show’s successful 50th-anniversary special.

The show has recently been facing backlash after a compilation of clips revealing the show’s apparent racist past, with a number of those clips showing the mocking and belittling treatment Kamahl received, went viral earlier this year.

In his open letter released to news.com.au, the singer offered his “warmest congratulations” to Somers and the team behind the successful anniversary special.

“The accolades that you received within the program were well-earned and rightly acknowledge your place in Australian TV history,” the singer wrote.

“As an Australian entertainer, my being part of that history for a number of years is truly humbling.”

Kamahl then described an incident from a 1984 episode, where he was hit in the face by a white powder puff during his performance — an action he found “puzzling” since the show “decided on setting me up as the butt of a rather crude joke in preference to acknowledging my achievement”.

The stunt came a week before the singer was due to perform for the second time at New York’s prestigious Carnegie Hall.

7a-AJ7FhPqd84F3x5BdAkJlTUlMNm309oHye-FjpcpzcnCPVI8w0V6qO6xt6dikaA3dPVLSit-4rrjn0eZK2qiCOcBDXFSxSu9sFd4-fko-pG1qrZIeA07LTi7SokXl_x0IlbjtQ=s0

Kamahl was ambushed by host Daryl Somers with a white powder puff during his performance in a 1984 episode of Hey Hey Saturday. Credit: Hey Hey Saturday.

“The fact that I had poured my heart and soul into making that concert a success made the stunt on Hey Hey that evening an incredibly dispiriting experience,” he wrote.

Kamahl then described the incident as a “let down” and a “disappointment that still remains with me today”.

Kamahl’s confusion towards the incident had left the singer with one question in mind: “If I had been any other Australian artist about to embark on such a massive venture would I have received such treatment?”

“In a week where you are deservedly receiving such plaudits for your career milestone, I am left wondering why when you had the opportunity to acknowledge mine you chose not to.”

The singer then concluded his letter with an acknowledgment of his luck on being one of those at the receiving end of the “kindness of strangers,” but with the 1984 incident in mind, he added: “Why are people so unkind?”.

kod8BC2mPjG9nPMvImCqKfbnxzVxSyaxzlD6XpXTO8L3lpXTl7UyTMRPnhMqR7Hn4o4vzhZtO5XL8lYa3Y1wIGi6upuxpdwgq9ve-QHGer789DHf86qCm6Q64-5R_yr-7L9ZdP6N=s0

Pictured is one of the cartoons that flashed up on Kamahl’s 1984 performance which caused an uproar on social media as the clips circulated. Credit: @johnpatterson / Twitter

You can read Kamahl's open letter here.​

Reactions: JayKay
Sponsored
Kamahl’s open letter to Hey Hey It's Saturday host Daryl Somers seeks a response to ‘unanswered question’

Singer Kamahl shared an open letter to Hey Hey It’s Saturday host Daryl Somers following the show’s successful 50th-anniversary special.

The show has recently been facing backlash after a compilation of clips revealing the show’s apparent racist past, with a number of those clips showing the mocking and belittling treatment Kamahl received, went viral earlier this year.

In his open letter released to news.com.au, the singer offered his “warmest congratulations” to Somers and the team behind the successful anniversary special.

“The accolades that you received within the program were well-earned and rightly acknowledge your place in Australian TV history,” the singer wrote.

“As an Australian entertainer, my being part of that history for a number of years is truly humbling.”

Kamahl then described an incident from a 1984 episode, where he was hit in the face by a white powder puff during his performance — an action he found “puzzling” since the show “decided on setting me up as the butt of a rather crude joke in preference to acknowledging my achievement”.

The stunt came a week before the singer was due to perform for the second time at New York’s prestigious Carnegie Hall.

7a-AJ7FhPqd84F3x5BdAkJlTUlMNm309oHye-FjpcpzcnCPVI8w0V6qO6xt6dikaA3dPVLSit-4rrjn0eZK2qiCOcBDXFSxSu9sFd4-fko-pG1qrZIeA07LTi7SokXl_x0IlbjtQ=s0

Kamahl was ambushed by host Daryl Somers with a white powder puff during his performance in a 1984 episode of Hey Hey Saturday. Credit: Hey Hey Saturday.

“The fact that I had poured my heart and soul into making that concert a success made the stunt on Hey Hey that evening an incredibly dispiriting experience,” he wrote.

Kamahl then described the incident as a “let down” and a “disappointment that still remains with me today”.

Kamahl’s confusion towards the incident had left the singer with one question in mind: “If I had been any other Australian artist about to embark on such a massive venture would I have received such treatment?”

“In a week where you are deservedly receiving such plaudits for your career milestone, I am left wondering why when you had the opportunity to acknowledge mine you chose not to.”

The singer then concluded his letter with an acknowledgment of his luck on being one of those at the receiving end of the “kindness of strangers,” but with the 1984 incident in mind, he added: “Why are people so unkind?”.

kod8BC2mPjG9nPMvImCqKfbnxzVxSyaxzlD6XpXTO8L3lpXTl7UyTMRPnhMqR7Hn4o4vzhZtO5XL8lYa3Y1wIGi6upuxpdwgq9ve-QHGer789DHf86qCm6Q64-5R_yr-7L9ZdP6N=s0

Pictured is one of the cartoons that flashed up on Kamahl’s 1984 performance which caused an uproar on social media as the clips circulated. Credit: @johnpatterson / Twitter

You can read Kamahl's open letter here.​
Kamahl, people can be so cruel.
Their cruelty is often outrageous under the banner of comedy. But it is on them, not you.
They are the fools. Stand tall, be proud of who you are and your achievements.
I hold you high....for who you are and your achievements. Went to your concerts in Melbourne many years ago.
Had lots of your records, which I played often.
When my daughter was 18 months old, we were in the car with the radio on. You came on, singing a song. My little 18 month old daughter said, "That's Kamahl".
We loved you then, still do.
I did miss you being acknowledged on the anniversary of Hey Hey.....but never mind, we know you were part of it too ...we have our memories.

Last edited:
I doubt very much if Somers would have tried that trick with Mohamed Ali.
Disgusting behaviour would not get away with it today.