Johnny's Furniture enters voluntary administration

The Australian retail landscape dealt another blow as another popular retailer entered into administration.

This development casts a shadow over the future of its remaining stores, leaving customers and employees alike uncertain.

Furniture giant Johnny's Furniture has entered voluntary administration.

The shop, which once boasted 15 stores nationwide, declared a 'significant decline in revenue' as their main reason for this decision.

Before entering administration, Johnny's operated and managed eight stores in three states: four in Queensland, three in New South Wales, and one in Victoria.

compressed-johnnys 2.jpeg
Johnny's Furniture was one of the furniture shops homeowners go to for home improvement. Image Credit: Facebook/Johnny's Furniture

The news shocked many, as Johnny's Furniture has been a go-to destination for furnishing their homes with stylish yet affordable pieces.

The company's commitment to providing great styles that don't break the bank has resonated with customers for years, making this development all the more disheartening.

As the company directors grappled with the financial crisis, administrator Shumit Banerjee of Westburn Advisory was appointed to oversee the retailer's situation.

'Whilst my appointment is in its infancy, my preliminary investigations indicate that the company had a significant decline in revenue during the 2024 financial year, which likely contributed to the director's decision to place the company into voluntary administration,' Banerjee stated.

'Westburn Advisory is currently conducting an urgent assessment of the business and considering all available options, including the sale of the business as a going concern or recapitalisation.'

Amidst these efforts, Johnny's Furniture's director expressed a strong desire to honour store credits and fulfil outstanding orders.

The administrators are working closely with the director to determine the feasibility of meeting these commitments.

In the meantime, Johnny's Furniture will continue operations at a limited capacity.

The administrator urged customers with unfulfilled orders to remain patient during the assessment period.

Further updates will be posted on Johnny's Furniture's official channels within the next two to three weeks.

A' stock liquidation' sale is ongoing at the company's website to manage stock levels and recoup financial losses.

While this may present an opportunity for bargain hunters, it also reminds customers of the company's precarious position.

Johnny's Furniture started in Melbourne, and its journey over the years has been emblematic of the challenges faced by the retail sector—especially amid economic pressures and changing consumer behaviours.

The company's struggle is a microcosm of the broader issues impacting brick-and-mortar stores in an increasingly digital shopping environment.

As we await further news on Johnny's Furniture's fate, customers with outstanding orders or store credits may contact the company for updates.

We extend our sympathies to those affected by Johnny's Furniture's voluntary administration.
Key Takeaways

• Johnny's Furniture has gone into administration following a significant revenue decline.
  • There has been a reduction from 15 stores to eight across Queensland, New South Wales, and Victoria.
  • The company directors are trying to honour store credits and unfulfilled orders while in administration.
  • An urgent business assessment is underway, with potential outcomes including a sale or recapitalisation.
Do you have memorable moments at Johnny's Furniture? Please share your stories with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
I saw something I think on Current Affair about this company not fulfilling any long- time orders after months of the customer waiting and refusing to refund deposits or any payments ( as per Company policy!!?)and yet still hard selling and taking many new orders. I sense there will be many people who have paid upfront for air space.

Last edited:
This scumdog outfit should have their stores razed to the ground. I suspect that the store gets its name from Johnny Mwendwa, an alleged Kenyan executive with this shonky outfit. Send the pig home, preferably in a pine box. Typical of the ever increasing trend for immigrants to this country trying to rip off true Aussies.

• Wow
Reactions: DLHM
A CURRENT AFFAIR TV PROGRAM was informative into dollars before
customers. I wait to see if "johnathan's"poor decision making emerges
in another bussiness. Feel sorry for those customers who lost thousands of dollars.

Reactions: June E
They riped of so many customers it was a joke, exposed by Current Affairs for their miss dealing and would not give refunds, and when confronted for a refund the called the police to havd the customer removed from the stire, all on Current Affair reporting

Reactions: June E
There is no doubt whatsoever, as "Rodger Dodger" alludes to, & which has happened on numerous occasions in the past, this "Johhny" will join all the other scum bags of dodgy business' in ripping off future customers in another "Crook & Shonky" enterprise.

As "Vegie" mentions, "EXPORT" him out of our existence.

Reactions: LMW1
I have not heard of this store, then I live in NSW.

It would be good if the author of the article started with the name of the company and what state they are in.
That is the name of the company... Johnny's Furniture. DON'T TOUCH THEM UNLESS YOU WANT TO DONATE YOUR MONEY TO THEM BECAUSE YOU'LL GET NOTHING BACK.

I saw something I think on Current Affair about this company not fulfilling any long- time orders after months of the customer waiting and refusing to refund deposits or any payments ( as per Company policy!!?)and yet still hard selling and taking many new orders. I sense there will be many people who have paid upfront for air space.
Yes the shop staff blatantly lied on camera saying that the customers would get their goods knowing fully well they were going into liquidation, disgusting practices

Reactions: Veggiepatch
I had never heard of them until Current affair. They really did the wrong thing by their customers.

"Beloved"? "Fan-favourite"?..... This IS the rip-off merchant exposed on Current Affair, right?

Please, SDC, FFS cease recycling stories. If you haven't got enough copy to run new ones on the weekend, fine. Just go Mon-Fri and cease wasting our time.

• Wow
Reactions: Veggiepatch
I have not heard of this store, then I live in NSW.

It would be good if the author of the article started with the name of the company and what state they are in.
Johnny's had stores in Parramatta and Campbeltown.