Jimmy Barnes shares an update on his battle with bacterial infection

Jimmy Barnes, known for his gritty vocals and energetic performances, shared an update on his ongoing battle with a bacterial infection in a heartfelt post on social media.

The news has left fans (and the music industry) reeling as the 67-year-old singer faces yet another significant health crisis.

Australian rock legend Jimmy Barnes has made a shocking announcement that he will be undergoing open-heart surgery due to a bacterial infection that has spread to his heart.

He revealed that the bacterial infection he has been battling for the past two weeks has infected a valve in his heart that was replaced years ago due to a congenital defect.

SDC 2.png
Jimmy Barnes shared an update on his health on his social media page. Image source: Instagram/@jimmybarnesofficial.

'Unfortunately, I got some bad news late yesterday…despite everyone’s best efforts, the bacterial infection I’ve been battling over the last fortnight has apparently now spread to my heart,' he said.

'It’s infected an otherwise healthy valve that was replaced some years ago due to a congenital defect, so I’ll be getting open-heart surgery over the next few hours to clear out this infection and put in a clean valve.'

'Obviously, this is going to take me out of action for a while. I know lots of other people are battling even worse things, but it still feels hugely frustrating.'

'Just a few weeks ago, I was the fittest I’ve been in decades!'

The surgery will undoubtedly take a toll on the singer, who will be 'out of action for a while'.

The 'sudden' nature of the operation has also thrown a wrench into his upcoming shows.

Barnes and his team are currently working on rescheduling dates, asking fans for their patience and understanding during this challenging time.

'I’m really sorry for all the inconvenience this will cause, but please be patient while my team works hard to figure things out. A new plan will be announced as soon as possible.'

You can read Barnes's full post below:

Source: Instagram/@jimmybarnesofficial.

Despite the severity of his condition, Barnes remains grateful for the support he's received, particularly from his wife of 42 years, Jane Barnes.

'In the meantime, I'd like to thank my darling Jane for her around-the-clock love and care over the last few weeks in particular—as always, I'd be lost without her,' Barnes added.

'I’d also like to thank the doctors and nurses who’ve been amazing and all the people who have sent me “get well” messages. You’ve all lifted my spirits, and I’m sincerely grateful.'

The news of Barnes' health crisis comes just weeks after he was hospitalised to treat bacterial pneumonia.

His wife Jane shared updates of his recovery, showing the singer's resilience and determination.

Bacterial pneumonia is a serious condition that inflames the air sacs in one or both lungs, causing symptoms such as coughing, fever, chills, and difficulty breathing.

Earlier in 2023, Barnes was also on bed rest following an emergency hip surgery, which forced him to cancel his summer tour. The surgery relieved years of chronic pain, but the recovery process was a significant setback for the singer.

'We had some (live) things planned, but they fell through because of my surgery,' Barnes said earlier this year.

As Barnes faces this new health challenge, his fans and the music industry are rallying behind him, sending messages of love and support.

His son, TV host David Campbell, also wrote on social media: 'Sending love to my Dad.'
Key Takeaways
  • Singer Jimmy Barnes has announced he is undergoing open-heart surgery due to a bacterial infection spreading to his heart.
  • The sudden nature of the operation will be causing a rescheduling of his upcoming shows.
  • The news comes weeks after Barnes was hospitalised to treat bacterial pneumonia.
  • Earlier in 2023, the singer was on bed rest following an emergency hip surgery and had to cancel his summer tour.
Members, what are your thoughts on Jimmy Barnes’s latest health update? Share them with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
Many hundreds of people post songs and videos on social media and many are better than Barnes but get no recognition!
That is true, but that is the way it goes in many industries. He is much loved by many, whether you agree or not - so he is a celebrity here. Perhaps he just has that certain je ne sais quoi for many. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Reactions: Suzanne rose
That is true, but that is the way it goes in many industries. He is much loved by many, whether you agree or not - so he is a celebrity here. Perhaps he just has that certain je ne sais quoi for many. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Totally agree. Loved by many many fans but that doesn’t mean he should get preferential treatment as many 100’s of other people are also loved by many friends and family but they don’t get preferential treatment!

Totally agree. Loved by many many fans but that doesn’t mean he should get preferential treatment as many 100’s of other people are also loved by many friends and family but they don’t get preferential treatment!
I don't know what preferential treatment he is getting?

Do you think he is getting his medical for free !! Through his music he is now able to pay for top medical

His richness shows how much he is loved by the ammont of fans going to his concerts and buying his music.

Both Jimny and Jane do alot of charity work .

My daughter waited nearly two years to have a gallbladder removed I could have had mine out within a week . Why , because I'm in a medical fund .

There are different scenarios for each person .
Jimmy paid for his surgery so got in quicker, it's not like he was given presidential service or free

Reactions: Knell