Jetstar CEO issues public apology for past mishaps, encourages Aussies to give the airline another chance

After serving the Australian aviation industry for twenty years, Jetstar has taken a significant step by issuing a formal apology to any customers they may have disappointed in the past.

The low-cost airline is now inviting people to try their services again and witness the positive changes they have made.

Jetstar's CEO, Stephanie Tully, made a special appearance on Melbourne's 3AW radio to personally extend this apology.

She expressed regret for any previous shortcomings of the airline and urged customers to give Jetstar another chance—and even encouraged everyone to experience the transformation the airline has undergone firsthand.

compressed-Screen Shot 2023-08-04 at 11.50.03 AM (1).jpeg
The CEO of Jetstar has issued an apology to 'everyone it has let down', pleading with Aussies to give the budget airline 'a go'. Credit: Pexels/Pascal Borener.

'It's time to give Jetstar a go,' said Ms Tully. 'For July, it looks like we have the best cancellations of any airline in Australia, so we have really been working hard to make sure Jetstar is at its best.'

In addition to improved performance, Ms Tully let participating customers know they could expect better on-time performance and fewer cancellations.

She also noted that Jetstar was returning to pre-pandemic levels of low cancellation rates and on-time performance.

In June, the Bureau of Infrastructure and Transport Research Economics (BITRE) reported that Jetstar had achieved the highest on-time arrival rate among major domestic carriers.

The airline's domestic cancellation rate also dropped significantly to 3.7 per cent. Jetstar's on-time performance improved to 66.2 per cent, just one per cent below the leading carrier, Virgin Australia, which had a rate of 67.9 per cent.

These indicators seem to suggest that Jetstar is providing a great customer experience. Additionally, the airline's staff is back to work, and most of the supply chain issues have been resolved.

Jetstar is also upgrading its fleet with new and advanced aircraft. By 2024, they plan to have all 18 Tesla Neo units, and by 2029, they will add five more units and 15 extra-long-range aircraft to their fleet.

With the increased aircraft supply, Jetstar plans to adjust its network to offer more flights. Moreover, the airline has announced seven new international routes in the past twelve months, including Sydney to Seoul, Brisbane to Auckland, and Melbourne to Fiji.

These additions provide customers with more diverse and affordable travel options.

Ms Tully further enticed customers by noting that Jetstar would always be the price leader and that cheaper seats wouldn't equate to lower quality.

'We democratised travel. We make travel possible for everybody, and we love that emotional connection to people that perhaps wouldn't otherwise travel, so it's time to give Jetstar a go,' she reiterated.

Jetstar's Chief Operations Officer, Matthew Franzi, further promised customers that significant improvements had been made in the airline's punctuality and reliability—though he acknowledged there was still more work to do, considering the airline was investing in new aircraft and staff.

When discussing the challenges faced by the airline, Ms Tully highlighted the impact of the pandemic.

The airline industry experienced a period of dormancy for a few years, which posed difficulties in restarting operations and reassembling the workforce. The airline also faced problems with its supply chain, particularly with obtaining necessary parts.

'So we have had to work extra hard and do extra things to ensure Jetstar is performing the way people expect,' she explained.

Before the pandemic, the airline faced challenges due to unprecedented demand for holiday travel, supply chain issues, and occasional technical problems, leading to customer dissatisfaction.

Key Takeaways

• Jetstar CEO, Stephanie Tully, has apologised to those let down by the airline and is urging Australians to give the budget airline another chance.
  • Performance metrics and on-time-flight records have improved and returned to pre-pandemic levels, with reduced cancellation rates providing a more reliable service for travellers.
  • Industry challenges such as supply chain issues due to the pandemic and increasing demand for flights following COVID lockdowns have been identified as contributing factors to the airline's previous performance.
  • Jetstar plans to continue improving punctuality and reliability with further investment in new aircraft, increased staffing, and expansion of international routes.

In 2020, airlines, including Jetstar, faced significant challenges that affected their reputation. Despite their best efforts, Jetstar experienced some damage to their track record.

However, the company remains determined to rebuild and regain customers' trust. They have ambitious plans and promises for the future, aiming to win back those who may have chosen other carriers as long as their services align with customer needs.

We would love to hear your thoughts on this matter, members. Are you open to giving Jetstar another chance? What improvements do you think the company should prioritise to win you over? Feel free to share your opinions in the comments section below!

Reactions: Marj53 and Suet
Sponsored
After serving the Australian aviation industry for twenty years, Jetstar has taken a significant step by issuing a formal apology to any customers they may have disappointed in the past.

The low-cost airline is now inviting people to try their services again and witness the positive changes they have made.

Jetstar's CEO, Stephanie Tully, made a special appearance on Melbourne's 3AW radio to personally extend this apology.

She expressed regret for any previous shortcomings of the airline and urged customers to give Jetstar another chance—and even encouraged everyone to experience the transformation the airline has undergone firsthand.

View attachment 26674
The CEO of Jetstar has issued an apology to 'everyone it has let down', pleading with Aussies to give the budget airline 'a go'. Credit: Pexels/Pascal Borener.

'It's time to give Jetstar a go,' said Ms Tully. 'For July, it looks like we have the best cancellations of any airline in Australia, so we have really been working hard to make sure Jetstar is at its best.'

In addition to improved performance, Ms Tully let participating customers know they could expect better on-time performance and fewer cancellations.

She also noted that Jetstar was returning to pre-pandemic levels of low cancellation rates and on-time performance.

In June, the Bureau of Infrastructure and Transport Research Economics (BITRE) reported that Jetstar had achieved the highest on-time arrival rate among major domestic carriers.

The airline's domestic cancellation rate also dropped significantly to 3.7 per cent. Jetstar's on-time performance improved to 66.2 per cent, just one per cent below the leading carrier, Virgin Australia, which had a rate of 67.9 per cent.

These indicators seem to suggest that Jetstar is providing a great customer experience. Additionally, the airline's staff is back to work, and most of the supply chain issues have been resolved.

Jetstar is also upgrading its fleet with new and advanced aircraft. By 2024, they plan to have all 18 Tesla Neo units, and by 2029, they will add five more units and 15 extra-long-range aircraft to their fleet.

With the increased aircraft supply, Jetstar plans to adjust its network to offer more flights. Moreover, the airline has announced seven new international routes in the past twelve months, including Sydney to Seoul, Brisbane to Auckland, and Melbourne to Fiji.

These additions provide customers with more diverse and affordable travel options.

Ms Tully further enticed customers by noting that Jetstar would always be the price leader and that cheaper seats wouldn't equate to lower quality.

'We democratised travel. We make travel possible for everybody, and we love that emotional connection to people that perhaps wouldn't otherwise travel, so it's time to give Jetstar a go,' she reiterated.

Jetstar's Chief Operations Officer, Matthew Franzi, further promised customers that significant improvements had been made in the airline's punctuality and reliability—though he acknowledged there was still more work to do, considering the airline was investing in new aircraft and staff.

When discussing the challenges faced by the airline, Ms Tully highlighted the impact of the pandemic.

The airline industry experienced a period of dormancy for a few years, which posed difficulties in restarting operations and reassembling the workforce. The airline also faced problems with its supply chain, particularly with obtaining necessary parts.

'So we have had to work extra hard and do extra things to ensure Jetstar is performing the way people expect,' she explained.

Before the pandemic, the airline faced challenges due to unprecedented demand for holiday travel, supply chain issues, and occasional technical problems, leading to customer dissatisfaction.

Key Takeaways

• Jetstar CEO, Stephanie Tully, has apologised to those let down by the airline and is urging Australians to give the budget airline another chance.
  • Performance metrics and on-time-flight records have improved and returned to pre-pandemic levels, with reduced cancellation rates providing a more reliable service for travellers.
  • Industry challenges such as supply chain issues due to the pandemic and increasing demand for flights following COVID lockdowns have been identified as contributing factors to the airline's previous performance.
  • Jetstar plans to continue improving punctuality and reliability with further investment in new aircraft, increased staffing, and expansion of international routes.

In 2020, airlines, including Jetstar, faced significant challenges that affected their reputation. Despite their best efforts, Jetstar experienced some damage to their track record.

However, the company remains determined to rebuild and regain customers' trust. They have ambitious plans and promises for the future, aiming to win back those who may have chosen other carriers as long as their services align with customer needs.

We would love to hear your thoughts on this matter, members. Are you open to giving Jetstar another chance? What improvements do you think the company should prioritise to win you over? Feel free to share your opinions in the comments section below!
Jetstar cannot just blame the pandemic as the cause of their poor service and flights. They have been doing this long before this had many a flight cancelled and poor service , .they need to really make it better before I would fly with them again . The old saying is Proof is in the pudding . Let wait and see .

Jetstar simply has never put their passengers first. It starts with the queues out the terminal door due to understaffed check-ins and bag drops. It finishes when they sell your booked seat out from under you. ( as happened to my partner on a return flight from Phuket)

I'm flying (return) to Adelaide in September with Jetstar - will let you know if I have any issues. I don't believe everything is solely Jetstar's fault. But I'll let you know of any issues - hopefully smooth flight and check-in with no cancellations.

Sorry but the damage is done. I would simply stay home if i had to go with Jetstar. Worst airline i have ever flown on in 60 years of world travel.

Reactions: Bullwinkle

View attachment 26674

Key Takeaways

Is JETSTAR serious, they are still cancelling flights with no explanation or compensation for additional costs incurred by their cancellations. Will never again fly JETSTAR.

Sorry but the damage is done. I would simply stay home if i had to go with Jetstar. Worst airline i have ever flown on in 60 years of world travel.
I feel the same. An example of poor treatment by Jetstar (I am a partially disabled traveller) checked in as required and went to departure lounge, and proceeded to wait for my flight. After a half hour I checked on the flight timings and was told the flight due to weather. No problem with that, plane arrives at gate and an announcement to say that flight xyz was boarding from lounge D (where I had been waiting for over an hour). This was not my flight! I went to inquire about my flight and was told that it had been cancelled. No more explanation. Had to find accommodation, transport and rebook flight for following day. No help for partially disabled person. Sorry Jetstar-no more chances!!!

I paid premium fare to return mid afternoon only to have it delayed by 4 hrs leaving Brisbane by the time I got home it was nearly 11pm but no offer of refund I could have booked on a late flight for a much cheaper rate. Never again.

Thanx, but NO thanx. When QANTAS (another mob I'd NEVER fly with again) started JETSTAR to undercut VIRGIN, I swore that I'd rather walk than fly JETSTAR, so never did and never will !!!

I read the article and had a memory flashback to 1999 - Saddam Hussein's "I Can Change" number in the South Park movie; it was slightly more believable....

Have never had any problems flying with Jetstar. Our Jetstar flight from Auckland to Melbourne was cancelled recently, and the airline kept us informed, provided accommodation, transport to the hotel, meals vouchers, airport snack vouchers for that day and the next, transport back to the airport and a new flight the next day. We had no complaints. It’s the bad experiences that we always hear about. I would like to give credit where it’s due.

Girls trip away..on our return trip we were lucky enough to score the three seats, at the front of the plane…more leg room. Two friends show their ticket to the attendant before walking across the tarmac - no problem. Looked at my ticket, rip it up in front of me and told me I would be sitting at the back of the plane. No explanation as to why!!
No one sat in the seat that I was supposed to sit in…

View attachment 26674

Key Takeaways

If Jetstar were the only airline I would grow wings and fly rather then use Jetstar

Have never had any problems flying with Jetstar. Our Jetstar flight from Auckland to Melbourne was cancelled recently, and the airline kept us informed, provided accommodation, transport to the hotel, meals vouchers, airport snack vouchers for that day and the next, transport back to the airport and a new flight the next day. We had no complaints. It’s the bad experiences that we always hear about. I would like to give credit where it’s due.

You were extremely lucky the 7am flight was cancelled when I got to the airport for the 12pm flight a poor lady with a baby and a 5 yr old trying to keep them occupied sitting on the floor was placed on my flight which was delayed to 5pm she was offered nothing from Jetstar no assistance whatsoever or meal vouchers until she overheard us talk that she had no money to feed the 5 yr old or even to get a drink. Yes great service I was disgusted. Never again Jetstar.