JB Hi-Fi faces class action lawsuit for allegedly tricking customers into paying more

The thrill of purchasing a new gadget or appliance can often be overshadowed by the worry of potential breakdowns or malfunctions.

This is where extended warranties come into play, offering peace of mind for consumers.

But are these warranties really worth the extra cost?

This question is at the heart of a new class action lawsuit against retail giant JB Hi-Fi, one of Australia's most popular retailers, with sales exceeding $6.5 billion last financial year.

The suit, filed by law firm Maurice Blackburn, alleges that since 2011, JB Hi-Fi has been selling extended warranties that offer little to no value to consumers.

'What we're alleging in the class action is that JB Hi-Fi has been selling extended warranties that essentially offer Australian consumers the same thing as what they already get for free under the Australian Consumer Law,' Miranda Nagy, Principal Lawyer for Maurice Blackburn, claimed.

SDC 23.png
JB Hi-Fi allegedly tricked customers into paying more for their extended warranty offering. Image source: Shutterstock.

The Australian Consumer Law already provides basic legal rights, known as 'consumer guarantees', to all consumers when purchasing a product.

These guarantees include the right to a repair, replacement, or refund if there's a problem within a reasonable period after purchase, even after a manufacturer's expired warranty.

The product must also be of acceptable quality, free from defects, safe, durable, and fit for purpose.

The lawsuit claimed that JB Hi-Fi had been misleading consumers by selling extended warranties that offered the same protections already provided by these consumer guarantees.

The case, lodged in the Victorian Supreme Court, sought compensation for customers who signed up for 'extended care', 'customer care', or 'extra care' plans.

Extended warranties are often marketed as an additional layer of protection for consumers, promising coverage for mechanical and electrical failures. However, the lawsuit alleges that JB Hi-Fi's warranties, which never lasted more than three to six years after the date of purchase, were misleading.

'So when you think about buying, for example, a $2,000 fridge, you're expecting a fridge like that…to have a much longer life than six years,' Nagy said.

'Australian Consumer Law remedies were likely to last longer in most cases.'

The lawsuit also alleges that some of JB Hi-Fi's brochures failed to include important information about how basic consumer law protections compare to those offered by extended warranties. Key details that JB Hi-Fi allegedly did not make clear include the right of the customer—not JB Hi-Fi—to choose a remedy in certain situations, cover for some defects, and the right to a monetary refund and not just store credit.

Consumer groups have long been sceptical of the value of extended warranties.

Margaret Rafferty from consumer group Choice says extended warranties 'very rarely' offer value for money.

In a mystery shop conducted by Choice last year at 80 JB Hi-Fi, Harvey Norman and The Good Guys stores, it was found that most sales staff misrepresented consumer rights.

'In 71 per cent of cases, they misrepresented the rights of a mystery shopper about what would happen if a product broke down and used the opportunity to try and sell us an extended warranty,' Rafferty said.

'They gave us excuses such as, “If it's over two years, you have to pay for repairs yourself.” That's not right.'

'They told us that, “After a manufacturer's warranty, there's nothing we can do.” That's incorrect.'

'It was really quite shocking to see how poorly the rights of consumers were represented by the salespeople.'

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) advised consumers to be aware that a business or salesperson could get a commission for selling an extended warranty. They also reiterated that consumer guarantees apply regardless of any warranties.

While JB Hi-Fi declined to comment on the case, Paul Zahra from the Australian Retailers Association said extended warranties added something to products.

'Many shoppers prefer extended warranty just purely for the peace of mind,' Zahra said.

'Extended warranties can often add…longer life to a product.'

However, Zahra also emphasised that retailers need to clarify what extra rights they are offering.

'There's no doubt if there's a crossover between consumer law or manufacturer's law and the extended warranty is just restating that, then that's not really in the spirit of actually an extended warranty,' he said.

As a consumer, it's crucial to understand your rights when purchasing a product. If a product has a minor problem that can be quickly and easily fixed, the retailer can decide to repair or replace your product. However, if it's a major problem, you're entitled to your money back.

'For example, if the product is unsafe, if it doesn't do what it should or it has a fault that would have prevented you from buying it if you'd known about it, you're entitled to your money back,' Rafferty from Choice said.

She advised consumers to ask many questions before considering an extended warranty.

'Really drill down to ask questions about what this product gives that they aren't already covered by.'

'Ask them if you'll have to pay any extra if you make a claim, find out about the limits on the claim, ask about who's providing the extended warranty.'

'Be really wary of the tactics that the retailers will use, the extra pressure they put on you to convince you [that you] need it.'
Key Takeaways

• A class action lawsuit has been filed against retail giant JB Hi-Fi by law firm Maurice Blackburn for allegedly selling worthless or low-value extended warranties since 2011.
  • The case, lodged in the Victorian Supreme Court, alleges these warranties offer the same protection consumers are already entitled to under Australian Consumer Law.
  • JB Hi-Fi has declined to provide a comment.
  • Consumer group Choice advised customers to understand their rights, stating that extended warranties rarely provide value for money and are often misrepresented by sales staff.
Have you ever purchased an extended warranty? Did you ever avail of the service? What are your thoughts on this case? Share your experiences and opinions with us in the comments below.

Reactions: Ezzy and Petra
Sponsored
The thrill of purchasing a new gadget or appliance can often be overshadowed by the worry of potential breakdowns or malfunctions.

This is where extended warranties come into play, offering peace of mind for consumers.

But are these warranties really worth the extra cost?

This question is at the heart of a new class action lawsuit against retail giant JB Hi-Fi, one of Australia's most popular retailers, with sales exceeding $6.5 billion last financial year.

The suit, filed by law firm Maurice Blackburn, alleges that since 2011, JB Hi-Fi has been selling extended warranties that offer little to no value to consumers.

'What we're alleging in the class action is that JB Hi-Fi has been selling extended warranties that essentially offer Australian consumers the same thing as what they already get for free under the Australian Consumer Law,' Miranda Nagy, Principal Lawyer for Maurice Blackburn, claimed.

View attachment 37304
JB Hi-Fi allegedly tricked customers into paying more for their extended warranty offering. Image source: Shutterstock.

The Australian Consumer Law already provides basic legal rights, known as 'consumer guarantees', to all consumers when purchasing a product.

These guarantees include the right to a repair, replacement, or refund if there's a problem within a reasonable period after purchase, even after a manufacturer's expired warranty.

The product must also be of acceptable quality, free from defects, safe, durable, and fit for purpose.

The lawsuit claimed that JB Hi-Fi had been misleading consumers by selling extended warranties that offered the same protections already provided by these consumer guarantees.

The case, lodged in the Victorian Supreme Court, sought compensation for customers who signed up for 'extended care', 'customer care', or 'extra care' plans.

Extended warranties are often marketed as an additional layer of protection for consumers, promising coverage for mechanical and electrical failures. However, the lawsuit alleges that JB Hi-Fi's warranties, which never lasted more than three to six years after the date of purchase, were misleading.

'So when you think about buying, for example, a $2,000 fridge, you're expecting a fridge like that…to have a much longer life than six years,' Nagy said.

'Australian Consumer Law remedies were likely to last longer in most cases.'

The lawsuit also alleges that some of JB Hi-Fi's brochures failed to include important information about how basic consumer law protections compare to those offered by extended warranties. Key details that JB Hi-Fi allegedly did not make clear include the right of the customer—not JB Hi-Fi—to choose a remedy in certain situations, cover for some defects, and the right to a monetary refund and not just store credit.

Consumer groups have long been sceptical of the value of extended warranties.

Margaret Rafferty from consumer group Choice says extended warranties 'very rarely' offer value for money.

In a mystery shop conducted by Choice last year at 80 JB Hi-Fi, Harvey Norman and The Good Guys stores, it was found that most sales staff misrepresented consumer rights.

'In 71 per cent of cases, they misrepresented the rights of a mystery shopper about what would happen if a product broke down and used the opportunity to try and sell us an extended warranty,' Rafferty said.

'They gave us excuses such as, “If it's over two years, you have to pay for repairs yourself.” That's not right.'

'They told us that, “After a manufacturer's warranty, there's nothing we can do.” That's incorrect.'

'It was really quite shocking to see how poorly the rights of consumers were represented by the salespeople.'

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) advised consumers to be aware that a business or salesperson could get a commission for selling an extended warranty. They also reiterated that consumer guarantees apply regardless of any warranties.

While JB Hi-Fi declined to comment on the case, Paul Zahra from the Australian Retailers Association said extended warranties added something to products.

'Many shoppers prefer extended warranty just purely for the peace of mind,' Zahra said.

'Extended warranties can often add…longer life to a product.'

However, Zahra also emphasised that retailers need to clarify what extra rights they are offering.

'There's no doubt if there's a crossover between consumer law or manufacturer's law and the extended warranty is just restating that, then that's not really in the spirit of actually an extended warranty,' he said.

As a consumer, it's crucial to understand your rights when purchasing a product. If a product has a minor problem that can be quickly and easily fixed, the retailer can decide to repair or replace your product. However, if it's a major problem, you're entitled to your money back.

'For example, if the product is unsafe, if it doesn't do what it should or it has a fault that would have prevented you from buying it if you'd known about it, you're entitled to your money back,' Rafferty from Choice said.

She advised consumers to ask many questions before considering an extended warranty.

'Really drill down to ask questions about what this product gives that they aren't already covered by.'

'Ask them if you'll have to pay any extra if you make a claim, find out about the limits on the claim, ask about who's providing the extended warranty.'

'Be really wary of the tactics that the retailers will use, the extra pressure they put on you to convince you [that you] need it.'
Key Takeaways

• A class action lawsuit has been filed against retail giant JB Hi-Fi by law firm Maurice Blackburn for allegedly selling worthless or low-value extended warranties since 2011.
  • The case, lodged in the Victorian Supreme Court, alleges these warranties offer the same protection consumers are already entitled to under Australian Consumer Law.
  • JB Hi-Fi has declined to provide a comment.
  • Consumer group Choice advised customers to understand their rights, stating that extended warranties rarely provide value for money and are often misrepresented by sales staff.
Have you ever purchased an extended warranty? Did you ever avail of the service? What are your thoughts on this case? Share your experiences and opinions with us in the comments below.
All extended warranties are amongst the biggest cons of sales in retail.

They are not worth the paper they’re written on. I had nothing but trouble trying to get my washing machine fixed years ago and I’ve never took up extended warranty since. Even the salesman at the store of one of my purchases said Don’t bother.

Years back I worked for a company who owned the rights to the extended warranties on a particular product (I honestly don't know if I worded that correctly). Anyway, in the 12months I was there and receiving multiple claims daily, I never saw any claim approved.

I am a retired worker from H/Norman, I always buy the extended warranties, why? for example my daughter with a young family bought a clothes dryer, good brand (she asked Mum) now I have been retired for about 6or 7 years, and she has gone through about 3 dryers since buying the first one about 14 years ago, she has NOT had to pay for a new on in all that time and she got her latest one a couple of months ago, so personally I will still be buying extended warranties, sure sometimes I might not use them but they are my safety net so I know I am covered for a few years past Manufacturers warranty......I know it cost more but I believe it is worth it.

Reactions: Ezzy
Just this week I had delivered q bedroom suite for my daughter.
When it arrived the chest of drawers and dressing table were assembled but the two wardrobes were flat pack.
I told them if I had wanted flat pack I would have gone to a much cheaper store to buy them.
The truck driver rang the store and they refused to take them back as they said they don't accept returns for change of mind. I hadn't changed my mind, just didn't get what I expected. Nobody in the store mentioned to me they were flat packs
They said it stated it on their website, I didn't buy it on line I bought it in the store
Why would the other items be assembled and not the wardrobes
Anyway they are now sending someone to assemble them, but we have to wait a week and pay $100. I realise $100 isn't a lot to assemble two wardrobes but I still don't see why I should have to pay at all
To âdd insult to injury the dressing table mirror , on unpacking, was found to be broken. At least they are replacing that free of charge.

I am a retired worker from H/Norman, I always buy the extended warranties, why? for example my daughter with a young family bought a clothes dryer, good brand (she asked Mum) now I have been retired for about 6or 7 years, and she has gone through about 3 dryers since buying the first one about 14 years ago, she has NOT had to pay for a new on in all that time and she got her latest one a couple of months ago, so personally I will still be buying extended warranties, sure sometimes I might not use them but they are my safety net so I know I am covered for a few years past Manufacturers warranty......I know it cost more but I believe it is worth it.
You are covered for many years past manufacturers warranty on expensive items under consumer law, no matter what bs the store spins you. You are just paying good money for nothing

When it arrived the chest of drawers and dressing table were assembled but the two wardrobes were flat pack.
I told them if I had wanted flat pack I would have gone to a much cheaper store to buy them.
The truck driver rang the store and they refused to take them back as they said they don't accept returns for change of mind. I hadn't changed my mind, just didn't get what I expected. Nobody in the store mentioned to me they were flat packs
They said it stated it on their website, I didn't buy it on line I bought it in the store
Anyway they are now sending someone to assemble them, but we have to wait a week and pay $100. I realise $100 isn't a lot to assemble two wardrobes but I still don't see why I should have to pay at all
To âdd insult to injury the dressing table mirror , on unpacking, was found to be broken. At least they are replacing that free of charge.
Fair Trading, you were misled.

Have bought quite a few extended warranties from JB , my question is
Will there be refunds of this to their unsuspecting past customers.
I bet there isn't

Reactions: Ezzy and Leoniey
You bought the product in good faith but it was not fit for purpose. And they said "change of mind"? Grounds for escalation right there!

Last edited:
You bought the product in good faith but it was not fit for purpose. And they said "change of mind"? Grounds for escalation right there!
I know and usually I would, but at the moment I have my daughter not well,.nor my husband and being carer for them both I've just not got time to be bothered with the hassle.
To make things worse my daughters respite carer is unwell, so no respite until into the New Year.

Sounds to me like cleaning the filter might extend the life of the dryer.
My dryer is 20yrs old, never been replaced. 6 kids in the house.
Strange that cleaning a filter makes a product work better. Reminds me of an ex sister-in-law who purchased a brand new Simpson 9.5 kg EziSet washing machine for her eight person family. Less than six months down the track, she whinged that clothes came out all crappy. I asked if she ever cleaned out the filter to which she gave me a dumb blonde look. Checked the filter and it was full of compacted lint and showed her. The reaction was "oh...OK".

I'm totally amazed that people purchase an appliance, plug it in and use it. The operating manual is still in its plastic sleeve, sitting in the bottom of the box and they wonder why it shits itself shortly after.

I have been the recipient of several washing machine destined for the tip, some only a few months old. Invariably, the problem lies in the drain pump impeller being jammed by gremlins such as coins, screws and the odd bra underwire. Just 15 minutes of work and they are in perfect working order. Made about $2000 reselling these after repair. Thank you very much!!

Reactions: Ezzy and JedCorella
Sometimes they do work in your favour - not advocating because yes consumer law is there however if you have ever had to have the fight with Samsung for example, you will know it is the most frustrating, time consuming exercise. Sometimes, it is worthwhile having an extended warranty company who basically deal with the nightmare of getting through to them and forcing repair/replacement of large items that are just outside manufacturer warranty. I have known of many having TV, Fridges, Washing Machines repaired/replaced with extended warranty. Often depends on brand you purchase also - some manufacturers are better to deal with than others.

Reactions: DLHM
Have bought quite a few extended warranties from JB , my question is
Will there be refunds of this to their unsuspecting past customers.
I bet there isn't
I'm not 100% sure but I think yes. I believe I hear the report that Lawyers are handling it and you do not have to do anything - they will force refunds (not sure of the fine print on this statement though).

I have never purchased an extended warranty, I was already aware that I had these rights under consumer law.
But you still have trouble getting satisfaction, stores always try to tell you to take a store credit, etc
They usually change their tune if you threaten to report them
The department of Fair Trading is good for that. I've used them a few times and got a result. If you have trouble with a retailer excuse yourself and tell them you are calling Fair Trading right now, providing it's not a weekend. It works but you need to see it through if they try to call your bluff!

Reactions: Veggiepatch
JB HiFi, Harvey Norman, Coles Woolworths, Aldi, Bunnings and many other stores are all out to rip you off. I always think this when I walk into these places. "Shoplifters, beware of the CROOKS that run this store." It helps me to put my guard up.
I walked out of The Good Guys the other day because nobody could be bothered to serve me. Too bad for them. I was buying a 10 kg front loading washing machine and a drier on the behalf of our local RFS.We need more goods in future but I won't go back there.

• Wow
Reactions: Veggiepatch