JB Hi-Fi allows customers to haggle in-store: 'Take the deal'

In the world of retail, the price tag is often seen as the final word.

But what if we told you that at JB Hi-Fi, one of Australia's largest home entertainment retailers, the price tag is just the starting point?

Yes, you read that right.

The art of haggling, often reserved for bustling markets overseas, can now be put to use right here at your nearest store.

JB Hi-Fi's CEO, Terry Smart, recently revealed that the company has adopted a new strategy to combat falling profits and heightened competition.

The directive? Staff are being encouraged to 'take the deal' when customers propose a discount.

SDC 2.png
JB Hi-Fi customers can now haggle in-store. Image source: Shutterstock.

This surprising revelation means that customers willing to negotiate could walk away with a significant discount on their purchases.

The company's decision to embrace haggling comes after a nearly 20 per cent net profit slump in the first half of 2023-2024.

Smart attributes this to 'heightened competitive activity' and 'increased on-floor discounting'.

However, he believes that accepting a lower profit margin is a small price to pay if it means preventing a sale from going to a competitor.

'We want them to take the deal and let us (management) worry if it’s (profit margin) a bit skinnier than maybe it should be,' Smart said.

'But we would rather bank those dollars than let somebody else bank those dollars.'

'So in summary, it’s up to the staff. But it is driven just simply by how competitive the market may be.'

'If they’re (customers) going to a competitor’s store, getting a price (and) bringing it into us, we tell the staff, take the deal.'

'Move on, move to the next customer.'

This new approach is a clear indication of how competitive the retail market has become.

JB announced that total group sales were down 2.2 per cent to $5.16 billion in the six months to December 31, compared to the same period in the previous year.

Their net profit fell by 19.9 per cent to $264.3 million, which has led the company to cut its interim dividend by a similar percentage, arriving at $1.58 per share.

Despite the profit slump, JB Hi-Fi's sales momentum in January was better than expected, with a 2.5 per cent increase for JB and a 2.2 per cent decrease for the JB-owned The Good Guys.

'The stronger-than-expected result continues to highlight JBH’s good performance in tough operating conditions,' E&P Capital Retail Analyst Philip Kimber said.

The company's sales in Australia were up by 0.7 per cent to $3.62 billion, driven by demand for mobile phones, games hardware, small appliances, white goods, and services.

However, sales at The Good Guys dipped by 9.9 per cent to $1.39 billion.

In New Zealand, JB Hi-Fi sales were up by 5.1 per cent to $168.7 million NZD ($159 million AUD), but same-store sales were down by 1.2 per cent.

The group ended 2023 with a net cash of $488 million and with plans of opening three to give stores each year in New Zealand over the next three years.
Key Takeaways
  • JB Hi-Fi is open to haggling over prices as staff are instructed to 'take the deal' from customers who ask for discounts.
  • The company's net profit fell by almost 20 per cent in the first half of 2023-2024, leading to a strategy that focuses on capturing sales even if it means accepting lower profit margins.
  • Total group sales at JB Hi-Fi dropped by 2.2 per cent to $5.16 billion in the six months ending December 31, with the interim dividend also cut by a similar percentage.
  • The retailer's performance in January showed a sales increase for JB Hi-Fi and a decline at the JB-owned The Good Guys, indicating a mixed market response amidst competitive operating conditions.
What are your thoughts on this new strategy by JB Hi-Fi? Have you ever haggled for a better price at a retail store? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below.

Sponsored
JB own Good Guys and you have always been able to "discuss" the price with them, So really it is not new.

• Wow
Reactions: Monks
JB Hi-Fi has always been prepared to further discount prices if asked. On the more expensive items I can go in with a Google Shopping result and ask for better than the price shown online in online search and I have never been disappointed or turned away. They have always at least matched price if not bettered....

I always haggle in Harvey Norman, and get a better price, so why would I want to get the better price at HN and then go to JB hi-fi to get the same price??? I tried to bargain at JB hi-fi when their new site opened in Mount Barker, but was told they only price match other stores, and it looks like their 'new' policy is exactly the same to me, so I will not be shopping there when I get a discounted price already at HN!

• Haha
When working overseas I always reckoned the people too haggle with indian sellers, no matter what was being sold with one exception being gold theywold never go below the gold price? other than that they all had the same tell?, when they stopped smiling you know they were on the ropes. But always remembering too check the goods and make sure that everything was there. By the by if I'm here at home I always see if they are up for the haggle.

I too bought a big Kogan smart TV years ago, also the best price ever! I researched everywhere, but no one could beat Kogan's price. I love my Kogan Smart TV for sure.
Glad you have had a positive experience with Kogan! After 6 months of putting energy into getting an issue resoved, over a product purchased from them I won't purchase ANYTHING from them again!

They were not professional or integral so I'm DONE!

Went into JB HI FI Burleigh Stockland, have been looking for replacement Smart TV,ours is on the fritz absolutely stuffed much to my amazement a TV I have been looking at is now $250 00 dearer than it was last week. Went online Kogans have one with all the bells and whistles, sorry about the phrases, this unit is Steal at$420.00. Have a nice day SDCers 😊
I had a great Kogan TV was really good until 8 days after the Warranty ended. Multiple messages/emails to Kogan seeking advice resulted in absolutely zero response. Not the first bad news I've heard about Kogan TV's but never believed it until it happened to me.