It's the end of an era: beloved Aussie company behind iconic invention faces administration

When we think of admirable Australian inventions, it's hard to overlook the humble Hills Hoist clothesline. Many of us grew up with one in our backyards, and it has come to symbolise practicality and a certain distinctive Aussie charm. However, the company that launched this iconic invention has now gone into administration, marking a sad day for Australian manufacturing.

Hills Ltd, the once major Australian manufacturing firm responsible for the Hills Hoist clothesline, has collapsed following a significant loss in court. The company sold the manufacturing and sales rights of the Hills Hoist to AMES Australasia in 2017, as it could no longer profit from the iconic product.

1686013799396.png
The Hills Hoist is a rotary clothesline that can be adjusted in height, allowing for the efficient hanging of damp clothes. Source: Hills Home

The company's decline began when a court ruled in May favouring one of its suppliers, Stellar Vision Operators. Although the case between Hills Ltd and Stellar was initially thrown out in 2022, Stellar later won an appeal with a substantial $5.48m payout. Despite attempts to negotiate, the parties failed to reach an agreement, leading to Hills Ltd's collapse.

As part of AMES Australasia, Hills Home Living continues to manufacture and sell the Hills Hoist clothesline. They have tried to distance themselves from Hills Ltd, reassuring customers on their website with the statement, 'We're not going anywhere!' And clarifying that their products, warranties, and customers will not be affected by the unrelated organisation's decline.

The History of Hills Ltd and its Impact on Australian Culture​

The story of Hills Ltd began with a dream of making life easier for families across Australia. Lance Hill, an inspired innovator and war veteran, developed the first Hills Hoist prototype in his Adelaide backyard in 1945. He crafted a rotating clothesline that could easily be raised and lowered using leftover materials to save space and make drying clothes less cumbersome. Little did he know his simple invention would become an enduring symbol of Australian culture and practicality.

1686013799450.png
An image showcasing Vintage Hills Rotary Clothes Hoists. Source: Hills Home

From this modest beginning, Hills Ltd found rapid success, thanks to the ingenuity of their groundbreaking product. The name 'Hills Hoist' quickly became synonymous with innovation and resilience, as the robust design adapted to the varying Australian weather conditions.

While everyone may not warmly receive the Hills Ltd name, there is comfort in knowing that their landmark Australian invention, the Hills Hoist, remains a towering symbol of our heritage, proudly enduring in our backyards.

As creditors plan to convene in a meeting anticipated before June 15, we are drawn into a nostalgic reflection on the company's rich history and the national pride stirred by the iconic Hills Hoist’s representation of Australia on the global platform.

Key Takeaways
  • Hills Ltd, the company behind the iconic Australian invention, the Hills Hoist clothesline, has gone into administration following a loss in court.
  • The collapse comes after a $5.48 million payout was ordered for Stellar Vision Operators due to the contractual dispute involving Hills Health Solutions.
  • In 2017, Hills Ltd sold the manufacturing and sales rights of the Hills Hoist to AMES Australasia, which still makes and sells the product under the name Hills Home Living.
  • Administrators Hall Chadwick will take over the company, which also manufactures audio products and car parts, and a meeting with creditors is set to occur before June 15th.

The Hills Hoist has seamlessly interwoven itself into the fabric of our lives, transforming from a humble backyard fixture to the centrepiece of the infamous 'Goon of Fortune' drinking game. Even in tough times like these, we can find comfort in the things we share and the traditions that keep us connected.

What are your thoughts on this story and the impact of the Hills Hoist on our shared Australian culture? Do you have any special memories or personal stories about using the Hills Hoist in your backyard? We'd love to hear your stories! Please share them with us in the comment section below.

Sponsored
I went into a spin when I heard that Hills were in trouble. I've used Hills hoists over many years and appreciate their value but my recent residence just does not have the room for one so I've got the square fold-down version which is fine but nowhere near the capacity or drying power of the Hills. I think I will hang up now and dry my tears of sorrow. If my tears wet my shirt I suppose I can wash it and hang it on my square dryer. Oh well never mind it's just something I will have to launder from my memories.

When we think of admirable Australian inventions, it's hard to overlook the humble Hills Hoist clothesline. Many of us grew up with one in our backyards, and it has come to symbolise practicality and a certain distinctive Aussie charm. However, the company that launched this iconic invention has now gone into administration, marking a sad day for Australian manufacturing.

Hills Ltd, the once major Australian manufacturing firm responsible for the Hills Hoist clothesline, has collapsed following a significant loss in court. The company sold the manufacturing and sales rights of the Hills Hoist to AMES Australasia in 2017, as it could no longer profit from the iconic product.

View attachment 21580
The Hills Hoist is a rotary clothesline that can be adjusted in height, allowing for the efficient hanging of damp clothes. Source: Hills Home

The company's decline began when a court ruled in May favouring one of its suppliers, Stellar Vision Operators. Although the case between Hills Ltd and Stellar was initially thrown out in 2022, Stellar later won an appeal with a substantial $5.48m payout. Despite attempts to negotiate, the parties failed to reach an agreement, leading to Hills Ltd's collapse.

As part of AMES Australasia, Hills Home Living continues to manufacture and sell the Hills Hoist clothesline. They have tried to distance themselves from Hills Ltd, reassuring customers on their website with the statement, 'We're not going anywhere!' And clarifying that their products, warranties, and customers will not be affected by the unrelated organisation's decline.

The story of Hills Ltd began with a dream of making life easier for families across Australia. Lance Hill, an inspired innovator and war veteran, developed the first Hills Hoist prototype in his Adelaide backyard in 1945. He crafted a rotating clothesline that could easily be raised and lowered using leftover materials to save space and make drying clothes less cumbersome. Little did he know his simple invention would become an enduring symbol of Australian culture and practicality.

View attachment 21579

From this modest beginning, Hills Ltd found rapid success, thanks to the ingenuity of their groundbreaking product. The name 'Hills Hoist' quickly became synonymous with innovation and resilience, as the robust design adapted to the varying Australian weather conditions.

While everyone may not warmly receive the Hills Ltd name, there is comfort in knowing that their landmark Australian invention, the Hills Hoist, remains a towering symbol of our heritage, proudly enduring in our backyards.

As creditors plan to convene in a meeting anticipated before June 15, we are drawn into a nostalgic reflection on the company's rich history and the national pride stirred by the iconic Hills Hoist’s representation of Australia on the global platform.

Key Takeaways

• Hills Ltd, the company behind the iconic Australian invention, the Hills Hoist clothesline, has gone into administration following a loss in court.
  • The collapse comes after a $5.48 million payout was ordered for Stellar Vision Operators due to the contractual dispute involving Hills Health Solutions.
  • In 2017, Hills Ltd sold the manufacturing and sales rights of the Hills Hoist to AMES Australasia, which still makes and sells the product under the name Hills Home Living.
  • Administrators Hall Chadwick will take over the company, which also manufactures audio products and car parts, and a meeting with creditors is set to occur before June 15th.

The Hills Hoist has seamlessly interwoven itself into the fabric of our lives, transforming from a humble backyard fixture to the centrepiece of the infamous 'Goon of Fortune' drinking game. Even in tough times like these, we can find comfort in the things we share and the traditions that keep us connected.

What are your thoughts on this story and the impact of the Hills Hoist on our shared Australian culture? Do you have any special memories or personal stories about using the Hills Hoist in your backyard? We'd love to hear your stories! Please share them with us in the comment section below.
Was it a case of mis-management by Hills Ltd? From humble beginnings to corporate greed? Sad times.

Great invention but such an eyesore in the garden. But so typically Australian so often lacking esthetics.
Aussie invention my big foot... We had those in Northern Rhodesia way back in 1958. Built of the mine from scrap but stronger than the Hills hoist. So tough it could take the weight of a child on the end.

We had to replace our tv antenna last year. The technician replaced it with a Hills antenna, stating it was Australian made ... not made in China. Paid a bit for the privilege, but very happy to support Australian products.

If it comes to a choice between your “eyesore” and an environmentaLy sound means of drying several loads of washing, it’s the Hills Hoist every time! I still have one and I expect it will outlast me. It’s also surrounded by lovely native garden and set back from the road, so not an eyesore!
We still have one too, better than drying in a tumble dryer

Reactions: Observer
The Company said it wasn't going anywhere. Another heading just to grab the reader with misleading information.
Back when I worked for a "news"paper, the proles had a saying: "But don't worry about it, they're only journalists". These days, nothing has changed -- in fact, things have got even worse because the papers no longer have proofreaders. F'rinstance, a teevee story during the week had this preamble: "All aboard a Colombian aircraft were killed when it crashed in the jungle".
You saw the report, I presume?

I also had a hills hoist which I loved. I also used a wooden clothes horse in winter (a larger one) which I also loved. I have never owned a dryer. Even when both of my daughters were wetting the bed at the same time. I moved to a unit with the
the lines strung across but still use my wooden clothes horse often. I wouldn't be without it.

I wouldn't be without the hoist in my back yard, dries thr clothes in half thr timr with it's rotary action.
I have been unable to use the hoist in our yard for some time now in fact for over 4 years as I damaged my left side when I was knocked over by a lift door in 2019, I just can't raise my left arm high enough to reach the lines. I hang everything now under the cover of our unused southern balcony. which has 5 lines that are adjustable I usually leave the washing there for 2 nights by which even when it rains it will be dry.' Needs must when the devil drives' as my mum used to say.

Aussie invention my big foot... We had those in Northern Rhodesia way back in 1958. Built of the mine from scrap but stronger than the Hills hoist. So tough it could take the weight of a child on the end.
Well now here in Australia we try not to hang our children from the ends of washing lines of any description and the Hills Hoist was first produced in 1945 and made from quality materials, not mine rejects so sorry about your left foot mate.

Reactions: IAN3005
If it comes to a choice between your “eyesore” and an environmentaLy sound means of drying several loads of washing, it’s the Hills Hoist every time! I still have one and I expect it will outlast me. It’s also surrounded by lovely native garden and set back from the road, so not an eyesore!
I have one just like you. Gardens now are not big enough to put on in. Houses too close together,

Remember very clearly when my parents got a Hills Hoist to replace the lines of wire held up with the Y post. What fun times we had swinging around on that till we broke it and couldn't sit down for a week. LOL.
But Karma comes around and my children did the same thing and broke the line by swinging on it, luckily for me the pole was just about rusted through so the Landlord replaced it. Move on many yrs later and my grandkids did the same thing to the one in my yard now. Thankfully their Dad was able to weld it back together.
I think it's so sad that most kids of today will never experience a Hills Hoist in the back yard as homes are now on such small blocks of land that they can't accommodate one, all they have are the lines from the side of the houses or fences.
We were warned if we ever swung on the Hills Hoist ..look out..we never did!

Well now here in Australia we try not to hang our children from the ends of washing lines of any description and the Hills Hoist was first produced in 1945 and made from quality materials, not mine rejects so sorry about your left foot mate.
ours were built so tough that we uses to swing off the ends like a merry go round

I worked for Hills Telefix in Adelaide in the 1960's and this was a division of the Hills group of companies. It was very busy there on the switchboard all the time as people wanted their televisions repaired. The repairmen went to the house to fix tv sets. These days it's not worth repairing televisions, they get thrown away and replaced. I actually knew Lance Hill and Bob Ling. It's a shame to see the company go under.
Hi Aquarius. Just noticed your post. I am Trevor Hill, Lance's son' and Bob's first cousin. Thank you for your kind words here. In fact I have just joined the Seniors Club and I picked up that thread. Everyone seems to have nothing g but good memories

Reactions: Mr Chips
Very sorry to See the decline of Hills, but it's been coming for a long time. I have a special interest because my father, Lance Hill, was the founder of the company and not long after he was joined by his brother in law, Harold Ling. They made a formidale team. Lance the engineer, Harold the business tycoon. He and his son ,Bob, took the company to great heights.
I would like to thank everyone who has commented here. It seems everyone has fond memories.

View attachment 21580

View attachment 21579

Key Takeaways

Great shares posted here. Mine is very personal. Lance Hill, the founder was my father, and Harold Ling, the business partner was my uncle. This was a great company which succeeded from hard work and innovation.

Attachments

• IMG_3099.JPG
    IMG_3099.JPG
    142.5 KB · Views: 0