Italian traveller points out shocking mistakes Australians are making in their 'cafe culture'

Australian café culture is a vibrant and cherished part of the country's lifestyle.

Cafés are where people gather to enjoy coffee, catch up with friends, or simply unwind.

However, an Italian traveller has recently pointed out some peculiarities in the Australian café scene that have left him scratching his head.

Mattia De Nardi has taken to social media to express his bewilderment at some unique Australian café offerings, namely babycinos and puppucinos.

These beverages, designed to include children and dogs in the café experience, have left Mattia questioning if Australia's love for coffee has gone a step too far.

SDC Images (11).png
An Italian expressed his bewilderment over babycinos and puppucinos. Image source: Shutterstock.

'I absolutely love Australian coffee culture, I will be missing it when I go back to Italy, but I think you guys went a bit too far,' De Nardi said.

'Not just for the coffee itself, but for the names,' he explained.

For those unfamiliar, a babycino—short for baby cappuccino—is a small cup of frothed milk, often topped with a sprinkle of chocolate, designed for children.

A puppucino, on the other hand, is a similar concoction intended for dogs but without chocolate (which would be toxic).

The video sparked a lively debate among Australians, with many defending the unique café culture.

You can watch De Nardi’s video below:

Video source: TikTok/@mattiadenardi.

'My two-year-old nephew, who lives in inner-West Sydney Darling, can say babycino but can not recognise Maccas signs,' one shared.

Some argued that these beverages were born out of necessity, with parents tired of sharing their coffee foam with their children.

Extending this to dogs was a natural progression of the culture.

'I used to agree with you, and then I got a puppy. I never thought I would order puppucino—but I can't help myself it's the cutest thing,' another added.

While another shared: 'There's a cafe in my area that literally has a whole doggie section, it has dog cupcakes and cookies, my three-year-old wanted some the lady had to say no.'

Others, however, admitted to being disappointed when they ordered a babycino, expecting a miniature cappuccino, only to receive a cup of frothed milk.

'I thought it was like a tiny cappuccino. Very disappointed when I didn't get any coffee,' one shared.

'Same, I was like “Yeah that's some good foam cheers,”' another added.
Key Takeaways
  • Mattia De Nardi, an Italian traveller, criticised Australian cafe culture for going too far with drinks such as babycinos and puppucinos.
  • De Nardi expressed his distaste for the beverages in a video that went viral in Australia.
  • He argued that, although he admires Australian coffee culture, babycinos and puppucinos are excessive.
  • Coffee-loving Aussies weighed in on the debate with various sentiments.
What are your thoughts on this? Do you think babycinos and puppucinos are a step too far, or are they a fun and inclusive addition to the café culture? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
Australian café culture is a vibrant and cherished part of the country's lifestyle.

Cafés are where people gather to enjoy coffee, catch up with friends, or simply unwind.

However, an Italian traveller has recently pointed out some peculiarities in the Australian café scene that have left him scratching his head.

Mattia De Nardi has taken to social media to express his bewilderment at some unique Australian café offerings, namely babycinos and puppucinos.

These beverages, designed to include children and dogs in the café experience, have left Mattia questioning if Australia's love for coffee has gone a step too far.

View attachment 35672
An Italian expressed his bewilderment over babycinos and puppucinos. Image source: Shutterstock.

'I absolutely love Australian coffee culture, I will be missing it when I go back to Italy, but I think you guys went a bit too far,' De Nardi said.

'Not just for the coffee itself, but for the names,' he explained.

For those unfamiliar, a babycino—short for baby cappuccino—is a small cup of frothed milk, often topped with a sprinkle of chocolate, designed for children.

A puppucino, on the other hand, is a similar concoction intended for dogs but without chocolate (which would be toxic).

The video sparked a lively debate among Australians, with many defending the unique café culture.

You can watch De Nardi’s video below:

Video source: TikTok/@mattiadenardi.

'My two-year-old nephew, who lives in inner-West Sydney Darling, can say babycino but can not recognise Maccas signs,' one shared.

Some argued that these beverages were born out of necessity, with parents tired of sharing their coffee foam with their children.

Extending this to dogs was a natural progression of the culture.

'I used to agree with you, and then I got a puppy. I never thought I would order puppucino—but I can't help myself it's the cutest thing,' another added.

While another shared: 'There's a cafe in my area that literally has a whole doggie section, it has dog cupcakes and cookies, my three-year-old wanted some the lady had to say no.'

Others, however, admitted to being disappointed when they ordered a babycino, expecting a miniature cappuccino, only to receive a cup of frothed milk.

'I thought it was like a tiny cappuccino. Very disappointed when I didn't get any coffee,' one shared.

'Same, I was like “Yeah that's some good foam cheers,”' another added.
Key Takeaways

• Mattia De Nardi, an Italian traveller, criticised Australian cafe culture for going too far with drinks such as babycinos and puppucinos.
  • De Nardi expressed his distaste for the beverages in a video that went viral in Australia.
  • He argued that, although he admires Australian coffee culture, babycinos and puppucinos are excessive.
  • Coffee-loving Aussies weighed in on the debate with various sentiments.
What are your thoughts on this? Do you think babycinos and puppucinos are a step too far, or are they a fun and inclusive addition to the café culture? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

I get my dog a 4oz puppa cino every time I get a mugacino

• Love
Reactions: Wendy
That this is even being discussed is ridiculous in this time when we are supposed to be worried about the cost of living. Cafes love us giving children babychinos as it is building their future clientelle - and as far as doggie-chinos - people have too much money and no sense.

• Haha
Reactions: Tipsy
That this is even being discussed is ridiculous in this time when we are supposed to be worried about the cost of living. Cafes love us giving children babychinos as it is building their future clientelle - and as far as doggie-chinos - people have too much money and no sense.
Puppa Chinos are FREE where I go and I dont have lot of money even my coffee is discounted.. the one with no sense is yourself Marni for not checking it all out before making a comment.

Reactions: Wendy
Cafes that serve puppachinos are building their future clientele too, all those happy dog owners.

I am not a dog hater, I am not a dog lover either. I don’t think I should have to put up with other people‘s dogs when I am shopping, and especially if I want to enjoy a coffee while I’m out. As I said, dogs are dogs, not humans, and dogs shouldn't have to be tolerated by people who aren’t dog lovers when they are shopping.
What if it does toilets in front of you or farts🤣I’ve seen and smelt that before very unpleasant🤣and yes I’ve had two dogs and love dogs.😍