Italian traveller points out shocking mistakes Australians are making in their 'cafe culture'

Australian café culture is a vibrant and cherished part of the country's lifestyle.

Cafés are where people gather to enjoy coffee, catch up with friends, or simply unwind.

However, an Italian traveller has recently pointed out some peculiarities in the Australian café scene that have left him scratching his head.

Mattia De Nardi has taken to social media to express his bewilderment at some unique Australian café offerings, namely babycinos and puppucinos.

These beverages, designed to include children and dogs in the café experience, have left Mattia questioning if Australia's love for coffee has gone a step too far.

SDC Images (11).png
An Italian expressed his bewilderment over babycinos and puppucinos. Image source: Shutterstock.

'I absolutely love Australian coffee culture, I will be missing it when I go back to Italy, but I think you guys went a bit too far,' De Nardi said.

'Not just for the coffee itself, but for the names,' he explained.

For those unfamiliar, a babycino—short for baby cappuccino—is a small cup of frothed milk, often topped with a sprinkle of chocolate, designed for children.

A puppucino, on the other hand, is a similar concoction intended for dogs but without chocolate (which would be toxic).

The video sparked a lively debate among Australians, with many defending the unique café culture.

You can watch De Nardi’s video below:

Video source: TikTok/@mattiadenardi.

'My two-year-old nephew, who lives in inner-West Sydney Darling, can say babycino but can not recognise Maccas signs,' one shared.

Some argued that these beverages were born out of necessity, with parents tired of sharing their coffee foam with their children.

Extending this to dogs was a natural progression of the culture.

'I used to agree with you, and then I got a puppy. I never thought I would order puppucino—but I can't help myself it's the cutest thing,' another added.

While another shared: 'There's a cafe in my area that literally has a whole doggie section, it has dog cupcakes and cookies, my three-year-old wanted some the lady had to say no.'

Others, however, admitted to being disappointed when they ordered a babycino, expecting a miniature cappuccino, only to receive a cup of frothed milk.

'I thought it was like a tiny cappuccino. Very disappointed when I didn't get any coffee,' one shared.

'Same, I was like “Yeah that's some good foam cheers,”' another added.
Key Takeaways
  • Mattia De Nardi, an Italian traveller, criticised Australian cafe culture for going too far with drinks such as babycinos and puppucinos.
  • De Nardi expressed his distaste for the beverages in a video that went viral in Australia.
  • He argued that, although he admires Australian coffee culture, babycinos and puppucinos are excessive.
  • Coffee-loving Aussies weighed in on the debate with various sentiments.
What are your thoughts on this? Do you think babycinos and puppucinos are a step too far, or are they a fun and inclusive addition to the café culture? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
Australian café culture is a vibrant and cherished part of the country's lifestyle.

Cafés are where people gather to enjoy coffee, catch up with friends, or simply unwind.

However, an Italian traveller has recently pointed out some peculiarities in the Australian café scene that have left him scratching his head.

Mattia De Nardi has taken to social media to express his bewilderment at some unique Australian café offerings, namely babycinos and puppucinos.

These beverages, designed to include children and dogs in the café experience, have left Mattia questioning if Australia's love for coffee has gone a step too far.

View attachment 35672
An Italian expressed his bewilderment over babycinos and puppucinos. Image source: Shutterstock.

'I absolutely love Australian coffee culture, I will be missing it when I go back to Italy, but I think you guys went a bit too far,' De Nardi said.

For those unfamiliar, a babycino—short for baby cappuccino—is a small cup of frothed milk, often topped with a sprinkle of chocolate, designed for children.

A puppucino, on the other hand, is a similar concoction intended for dogs but without chocolate (which would be toxic).

The video sparked a lively debate among Australians, with many defending the unique café culture.

'My two-year-old nephew, who lives in inner-West Sydney Darling, can say babycino but can not recognise Maccas signs,' one shared.

Some argued that these beverages were born out of necessity, with parents tired of sharing their coffee foam with their children.

'I used to agree with you, and then I got a puppy. I never thought I would order puppucino—but I can't help myself it's the cutest thing,' another added.

While another shared: 'There's a cafe in my area that literally has a whole doggie section, it has dog cupcakes and cookies, my three-year-old wanted some the lady had to say no.'

Others, however, admitted to being disappointed when they ordered a babycino, expecting a miniature cappuccino, only to receive a cup of frothed milk.

'I thought it was like a tiny cappuccino. Very disappointed when I didn't get any coffee,' one shared.

Key Takeaways

• Mattia De Nardi, an Italian traveller, criticised Australian cafe culture for going too far with drinks such as babycinos and puppucinos.
  • De Nardi expressed his distaste for the beverages in a video that went viral in Australia.
  • He argued that, although he admires Australian coffee culture, babycinos and puppucinos are excessive.
What are your thoughts on this? Do you think babycinos and puppucinos are a step too far, or are they a fun and inclusive addition to the café culture? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

Puppucinos?? Really? People have No Sense and too much money!! They're Dogs, Not people!! Not even dogs know what they are these days, what with owners treating them like humans!!

If I had a fur baby who wanted to join me and my friends on the pit stop when out walkies, I would not have a problem buying something for the dog instead of letting people feed it tit bits from the table.
As far as treating dogs like humans goes, my experience is that dogs are totally un-conditionally loyal and loving, more than some of my so called family. People have a way of turning against each other on a whim, and, can carry grudges a long, long time. Dogs don't to that. They just like being loved.
Giving a drink as a treat is no problem for me.
Mind you, I have never bought a babycino or puppycino because the opportunity never arose.
I would give anything to have my adorable little dog back with me so I could put it to the test. She's been gone a year and I still miss her loving ways.

Last edited:
If I had a fur baby who wanted to join me and my friends on the pit stop when out walkies, I would not have a problem buying something for the dog instead of letting people feed it tit bits from the table.
As far as treating dogs like humans goes, my experience is that dogs are on-conditionally loyal and loving than some of my so called family. People have a way of turning against each other on a whim, and, can carry grudges a long, long time. Dogs don't to that. They just like being loved.
Mind you, I have never bought a babycino or puppycino because the opportunity never arose.
I would give anything to have my adorable little dog back with me so I could put it to the test. She's been gone a year and I still miss her loving ways.
sorry to hear you lost your little darling,,very hard to cope with that,,been there,,,not sure how I would go if I had another dog,,,maybe the adorable eyes looking up at me would take care of that,,never bought either of the cino's

View attachment 35672

Key Takeaways

The Italian is just jealous bc they did not think of it first!

(Others, however, admitted to being disappointed when they ordered a babycino, expecting a miniature cappuccino, only to receive a cup of frothed milk.) Why would these people want to give their kids coffee? Having a babycino helps the kids feel like they are grown up. I for one would order a babycino for a child but if it had coffee in it, no way would I get it.

(Others, however, admitted to being disappointed when they ordered a babycino, expecting a miniature cappuccino, only to receive a cup of frothed milk.) Why would these people want to give their kids coffee? Having a babycino helps the kids feel like they are grown up. I for one would order a babycino for a child but if it had coffee in it, no way would I get it.
I reckon those people would be thinking it's a teeny tiny budget priced cappuccino. Must have thought their dreams came true when ordering at that price. Quite funny when you think about it. Might suit someone who just craves the froth.

Reactions: Gsr
Near where we live is a lovely cafe called The Dogs Breakfast, they have an enclosed area where the dogs can play and a lovely outside sitting are for us. They have great coffee, cakes and toasties for humans and lactose free puppacinos for the dogs served in little dog bowls. Our dog is part of the family and treated like that.

View attachment 35672

Key Takeaways

Bloody ridiculous. Kids grow up with an addiction. Give a dog a bone!!!! Aussies seem to appear to be out of their tree.

• Angry
Reactions: siameezer and Gsr
As far as treating dogs like humans goes, my experience is that dogs are totally un-conditionally loyal and loving, more than some of my so called family. People have a way of turning against each other on a whim, and, can carry grudges a long, long time. Dogs don't to that. They just like being loved.
you are the one allowing the titbits. Do not blame others.

I don't think there are many that haven't said basically what this guy has said about the pretentious individuals that buy babycinnos or pupacinos. Nothing new been stated about the hipsters of millenials that in the same breathe of ording said pretentious beverage complain that the boomers are this that and the other reason why they can't buy their first home in the suburb they expect to pay next to nothing for.

I think babycinnos are good for little kids who all enjoy them, and most kids love the marshmallows with them. Pupacinnos is totally ridiculous. Why people think they need to take their dogs to a cafe, a shop, anywhere there is food is beyond me. A dog is a dog, not a human, and needs to be treated as such. Dogs don’t belong in shops. I would never have a coffee at any cafe that served pupacinnos, who knows how hygienic it would be, and if the staff fuss all over the dogs and don’t wash their hands before serving again. People who can’t go to shops, cafes, etc without taking the dog should maybe just stay home, instead of forcing the dog on everyone else at the shops or cafe. Take the dog for a walk and a play in the park or on the beach instead.

View attachment 35672

Key Takeaways

This is why I prefer to make my brew at home.

I think babycinnos are good for little kids who all enjoy them, and most kids love the marshmallows with them. Pupacinnos is totally ridiculous. Why people think they need to take their dogs to a cafe, a shop, anywhere there is food is beyond me. A dog is a dog, not a human, and needs to be treated as such. Dogs don’t belong in shops. I would never have a coffee at any cafe that served pupacinnos, who knows how hygienic it would be, and if the staff fuss all over the dogs and don’t wash their hands before serving again. People who can’t go to shops, cafes, etc without taking the dog should maybe just stay home, instead of forcing the dog on everyone else at the shops or cafe. Take the dog for a walk and a play in the park or on the beach instead.
sure your nick shouldn't be changed to Cruella DeVille?

Reactions: Wendy
I was going to reply to that last night, but my answer wouldn't have been so polite, I went to bed instead. I know there are people who don't like dogs, fine, no problem, but please don't tell those of us that do, what to do and where to go with our dogs.

I am not a dog hater, I am not a dog lover either. I don’t think I should have to put up with other people‘s dogs when I am shopping, and especially if I want to enjoy a coffee while I’m out. As I said, dogs are dogs, not humans, and dogs shouldn't have to be tolerated by people who aren’t dog lovers when they are shopping.

I am not a dog hater, I am not a dog lover either. I don’t think I should have to put up with other people‘s dogs when I am shopping, and especially if I want to enjoy a coffee while I’m out. As I said, dogs are dogs, not humans, and dogs shouldn't have to be tolerated by people who aren’t dog lovers when they are shopping.
If a shop/cafe etc owner chooses to allow dogs then that's where we will go, then it's your choice whether to go there or not. Unfortunately we have to tolerate other humans who think we shouldn't be there.

View attachment 35672

Key Takeaways

Coffee is coffee. Agree with him