Italian expat finds Australian supermarket staples 'awful'! Do you agree?

An expat recently took a trip to Woolworths to shop for Italian items–but she did not expect the selection of local versions of traditional Italian foods she came across and described them as items that 'would send an Italian into a coma'.

Sharing her thoughts on social media, she slammed supermarket staples such as SPC Tomato and Cheese Spaghetti and Heinz Spaghetti with Meatballs.

'So bad,' she said of the pantry staples, and in particular, expressed her disgust at a slice of Aussie bread on the serving suggestion for Heinz Spaghetti and Sausage.

photo (5).jpg
Italian expat took a trip to Woolworths and listed down products that ‘would send an Italian into a coma’. Image source: TikTok/@bysacconji.

The Italian expat then moved on to assess the ready-made pasta dishes, and was unimpressed by what she saw.

'If you’re an Italian living in Australia, never try the Woolies or Coles pasta. This is awful,' she said.

Afterwards, she suggested purchasing La Molisana pasta, which is imported from Italy.

Next, she set her sights on Aussie cheeses with a packet of shredded Woolies Australian Mozzarella. She declared it 'absolutely' not real Mozzarella, and took aim at the powdery texture of Kraft grated Parmesan.

As for McCain Vegemite pizza, the Italian expat couldn’t quite understand the Australian fascination with the spread. She said: ‘Ah, it’s awful. Never try Vegemite, guys.’

photo 1 (2).jpg
An Italian expat slammed Australian supermarket staples for their inauthenticity. Image source: TikTok/@bysacconji.

Of course, some Australian viewers hit back at the woman's critique of local supermarket offering.

'Tinned spaghetti ain't about the spaghetti, it's about the experience. That's a tin of childhood right there,' said one passionate commenter.

Another took afront on behalf of the vegemite pizza: 'McCain frozen meals slap. RESPECT, LEARN IT!'

However, others agreed with the Italian expat's take on the supermarket items.

One viewer wrote: 'I'm Australian and I agree! I make my pasta and sauces.'

While the Italian expat had found many instances of supermarket food that failed to meet her Italian food standards, she found some items suitable for a recommendation.

These included Cadbury Caramilk, Mars-flavoured Pods, and, most surprisingly, Woolworths’ garlic bread.

You can watch the entire video below:

Key Takeaways
  • An Italian expat has critiqued a number of Australian supermarket products, deeming many of them as ‘awful'.
  • Traditional Australian versions of Italian foods, such as ready-made pasta and mozzarella cheese, were criticised for their inauthenticity.
  • She warned fellow Italians against trying local food brands like Woolies or Coles pasta.
  • Some Australians defended local products in response to her critique, while others agreed with her assessment.
  • The woman also found some Australian products worth recommending, such as Cadbury Caramilk, Mars-flavoured Pods and Woolworths brand garlic bread.
Do you agree with the Italian expat’s assessment of the items? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
nowhere do these products claim to be Italian. Italy isn't the only place to have pasta. She needs to get over herself. And there are so many brands of pasta as well as well as cheeses. Did she try any?
When I was in Italy in 1990, the tours first night, we went to a pizzeria and none of us got tomato or cheese. That's not how the rest of the world has pizza. Did we complain no. It's called having integrity.

Oh, really, please be nice! There’s no need for that sort of reaction.
I agree with you most people know that pasta originally came from elsewhere it's not exclusively Italian. When you order pizza you don't get the toppings you do here there they are more ttraditional like wise in the states at it was the last time I was there.

Reactions: pammy.pj
An expat recently took a trip to Woolworths to shop for Italian items–but she did not expect the selection of local versions of traditional Italian foods she came across and described them as items that 'would send an Italian into a coma'.

Sharing her thoughts on social media, she slammed supermarket staples such as SPC Tomato and Cheese Spaghetti and Heinz Spaghetti with Meatballs.

'So bad,' she said of the pantry staples, and in particular, expressed her disgust at a slice of Aussie bread on the serving suggestion for Heinz Spaghetti and Sausage.

View attachment 28491
Italian expat took a trip to Woolworths and listed down products that ‘would send an Italian into a coma’. Image source: TikTok/@bysacconji.

The Italian expat then moved on to assess the ready-made pasta dishes, and was unimpressed by what she saw.

'If you’re an Italian living in Australia, never try the Woolies or Coles pasta. This is awful,' she said.

Afterwards, she suggested purchasing La Molisana pasta, which is imported from Italy.

Next, she set her sights on Aussie cheeses with a packet of shredded Woolies Australian Mozzarella. She declared it 'absolutely' not real Mozzarella, and took aim at the powdery texture of Kraft grated Parmesan.

As for McCain Vegemite pizza, the Italian expat couldn’t quite understand the Australian fascination with the spread. She said: ‘Ah, it’s awful. Never try Vegemite, guys.’

View attachment 28492
An Italian expat slammed Australian supermarket staples for their inauthenticity. Image source: TikTok/@bysacconji.

Of course, some Australian viewers hit back at the woman's critique of local supermarket offering.

'Tinned spaghetti ain't about the spaghetti, it's about the experience. That's a tin of childhood right there,' said one passionate commenter.

Another took afront on behalf of the vegemite pizza: 'McCain frozen meals slap. RESPECT, LEARN IT!'

While the Italian expat had found many instances of supermarket food that failed to meet her Italian food standards, she found some items suitable for a recommendation.

These included Cadbury Caramilk, Mars-flavoured Pods, and, most surprisingly, Woolworths’ garlic bread.

Key Takeaways

• An Italian expat has critiqued a number of Australian supermarket products, deeming many of them as ‘awful'.
  • Traditional Australian versions of Italian foods, such as ready-made pasta and mozzarella cheese, were criticised for their inauthenticity.
  • She warned fellow Italians against trying local food brands like Woolies or Coles pasta.
  • Some Australians defended local products in response to her critique, while others agreed with her assessment.
  • The woman also found some Australian products worth recommending, such as Cadbury Caramilk, Mars-flavoured Pods and Woolworths brand garlic bread.
Do you agree with the Italian expat’s assessment of the items? Let us know in the comments below!

Go back to Italy.

Reactions: Littleboy8

View attachment 28491

View attachment 28492

Key Takeaways

As a very seasoned traveler I used to look forward to the food difference in every country I went to, some I liked some well not so much. We all have our likes and dislikes but for me it’s all part of travelling you take the good with the bad, but I wouldn’t dream of insulting another countries food preferences, it doesn’t say much for that young ladies breeding.

I'm sure if I went to Italy and ordered something Australian they wouldn't make it the way I like it either, but I wouldn't be so rude as to complain like she has.
I have a suggestion, why doesn't she just make her own. There are plenty of continental deli's around, to cater to her upmarket tastes, or maybe she just can't cook
I'm Aussie, but my husband is Italian, my mother in law loved my spaghetti
Bolognese, and always asked me to make my lasagne when we were having big family gatherings, along with my sausage rolls, apple pie, pavlova and cheesecake. She was a bit partial to Aussie food as well .

Another brainless tiktoker!

To start with, I grew up eating pasta - not in Italy but in Austria. My mother used to make it from scratch.

Secondly, she is obviously completely unaware of how many Australian came from Italy, or are the descendants of Italian. She ought to visit Griffith in NSW, the heartland of Italian settlement in Australia and it even comes with the Mafia!

Australia has excellent Italian cuisine and if she cared to look closer, she would find that she can purchase fresh pasta as well as dry and if she doesn't like ready made pasta, she can make her own. Pasta makers are readily available!

I checked my pantry and found that my pasta sauce is from Italy, as are my canned tomatoes. Unfortunagtely, I have used up all of my passata and Parmesan, although I believe that the ones I buy are from Italy.

As for canned spaghetti, who buys them anyway?

Apart from all this, if I visit Italy, I will get Italian cuisine but, as a visitor to Australia, she can eat Italian one day, Indian the next, Japanese the day after, etc, etc.

As a very seasoned traveler I used to look forward to the food difference in every country I went to, some I liked some well not so much. We all have our likes and dislikes but for me it’s all part of travelling you take the good with the bad, but I wouldn’t dream of insulting another countries food preferences, it doesn’t say much for that young ladies breeding.
Exactly👍

Totally agree. Experiencing new cuisines in a part of your travel journey not an excuse to complain about another nations customs and tastes. So rude.

Reactions: Littleboy8
Another brainless tiktoker!

To start with, I grew up eating pasta - not in Italy but in Austria. My mother used to make it from scratch.

Secondly, she is obviously completely unaware of how many Australian came from Italy, or are the descendants of Italian. She ought to visit Griffith in NSW, the heartland of Italian settlement in Australia and it even comes with the Mafia!

Australia has excellent Italian cuisine and if she cared to look closer, she would find that she can purchase fresh pasta as well as dry and if she doesn't like ready made pasta, she can make her own. Pasta makers are readily available!

I checked my pantry and found that my pasta sauce is from Italy, as are my canned tomatoes. Unfortunagtely, I have used up all of my passata and Parmesan, although I believe that the ones I buy are from Italy.

As for canned spaghetti, who buys them anyway?

Apart from all this, if I visit Italy, I will get Italian cuisine but, as a visitor to Australia, she can eat Italian one day, Indian the next, Japanese the day after, etc, etc.
I do for a quick snack🙀