'It was embarrassing!'—Qantas passenger forced to crawl to her seat after disgraceful wheelchair incident

One Qantas passenger had to endure one of the most humiliating experiences imaginable on a plane.

Despite the airline being notified of her accessibility requirements in advance, she was made to wait for half an hour for a wheelchair before being forced to crawl to her seat.

Nikita Bennett, the Qantas passenger with cerebral palsy, was left embarrassed after being dropped from her wheelchair while boarding a connecting flight back to her home in Mildura last Tuesday.

SDC Images (7).png
An incident involving one passenger happened on board a Qantas flight to Mildura. Image sources: Instagram/@qantas (left), Freepik (right).

The incident was allegedly caused by an airline worker pulling the wheelchair too hard.

'He kind of pulled quite hard and the chair came out from underneath me, and I basically collapsed on top of myself,' Ms Bennett said.

'It was embarrassing. It was done in front of a whole plane of people.'

According to a Qantas spokesperson, the flight was already delayed by half an hour due to the special plans that had been made to accommodate Ms Bennett. Still, despite this delay, they claimed wheelchairs were made available at every step of her journey.

'Our team in Melbourne delayed the flight from Melbourne to Mildura to ensure Ms Bennett was able to get home,' the Qantas spokesperson said.

'Unfortunately, while she was being helped to her seat, Ms Bennett had fallen out of the wheelchair. Our team on-board the flight were obviously distressed about the situation, apologised and offered to help her to her seat, which she declined.

'We regularly carry customers with disabilities and have arrangements in place to ensure they have a smooth journey. We've reached out to Ms Bennett to apologise for her experience.'

This incident comes after news of the airline’s long-standing Chief Executive, Alan Joyce, decision to end his tenure.

The Qantas CEO has been walking a tightrope of public criticism following a series of questionable decisions and controversies.

Qantas found itself in hot water after it recently reported a $2.47bn pre-tax profit for the 2022-23 financial year, which raised some eyebrows considering the airline received a handsome $2.7 billion in government COVID handouts.

Moreover, Qantas is also facing legal action from the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) over selling tickets for already-cancelled flights and disallowing refunds for customers whose trips were ruined due to COVID-19.

You can read more in this article.
Key Takeaways

• A Qantas passenger with cerebral palsy, Nikita Bennett, was made to crawl to her seat after reportedly being dropped from her wheelchair by airline staff.
  • Despite the airline being informed of her needs in advance, Ms Bennett was allegedly made to wait for half an hour for a wheelchair.
  • A Qantas spokesperson confirmed that wheelchairs were available for Bennett at every step of her journey, and the airline has apologised for her experience.
  • This incident adds to a string of damaging allegations and scandals faced by Qantas, including misleading customers about refund options and flight credits.
Have you experienced any similar difficulties during a flight? What are your thoughts on this situation? Share them with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
One Qantas passenger had to endure one of the most humiliating experiences imaginable on a plane.

Despite the airline being notified of her accessibility requirements in advance, she was made to wait for half an hour for a wheelchair before being forced to crawl to her seat.

Nikita Bennett, the Qantas passenger with cerebral palsy, was left embarrassed after being dropped from her wheelchair while boarding a connecting flight back to her home in Mildura last Tuesday.

View attachment 29593
An incident involving one passenger happened on board a Qantas flight to Mildura. Image sources: Instagram/@qantas (left), Freepik (right).

The incident was allegedly caused by an airline worker pulling the wheelchair too hard.

'He kind of pulled quite hard and the chair came out from underneath me, and I basically collapsed on top of myself,' Ms Bennett said.

'It was embarrassing. It was done in front of a whole plane of people.'

According to a Qantas spokesperson, the flight was already delayed by half an hour due to the special plans that had been made to accommodate Ms Bennett. Still, despite this delay, they claimed wheelchairs were made available at every step of her journey.

'Our team in Melbourne delayed the flight from Melbourne to Mildura to ensure Ms Bennett was able to get home,' the Qantas spokesperson said.

'Unfortunately, while she was being helped to her seat, Ms Bennett had fallen out of the wheelchair. Our team on-board the flight were obviously distressed about the situation, apologised and offered to help her to her seat, which she declined.

'We regularly carry customers with disabilities and have arrangements in place to ensure they have a smooth journey. We've reached out to Ms Bennett to apologise for her experience.'

This incident comes after news of the airline’s long-standing Chief Executive, Alan Joyce, decision to end his tenure.

The Qantas CEO has been walking a tightrope of public criticism following a series of questionable decisions and controversies.

Qantas found itself in hot water after it recently reported a $2.47bn pre-tax profit for the 2022-23 financial year, which raised some eyebrows considering the airline received a handsome $2.7 billion in government COVID handouts.

Moreover, Qantas is also facing legal action from the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) over selling tickets for already-cancelled flights and disallowing refunds for customers whose trips were ruined due to COVID-19.

You can read more in this article.
Key Takeaways

• A Qantas passenger with cerebral palsy, Nikita Bennett, was made to crawl to her seat after reportedly being dropped from her wheelchair by airline staff.
  • Despite the airline being informed of her needs in advance, Ms Bennett was allegedly made to wait for half an hour for a wheelchair.
  • A Qantas spokesperson confirmed that wheelchairs were available for Bennett at every step of her journey, and the airline has apologised for her experience.
  • This incident adds to a string of damaging allegations and scandals faced by Qantas, including misleading customers about refund options and flight credits.
Have you experienced any similar difficulties during a flight? What are your thoughts on this situation? Share them with us in the comments below.
This is discrimination they have failed their duty of care. Contact the Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commision. If not for yourself but so that this doesn't happen to others. It's called respect Qantas how to treat a fellow human.
I do not fly with Qantas any more.

This is discrimination they have failed their duty of care. Contact the Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commision. If not for yourself but so that this doesn't happen to others. It's called respect Qantas how to treat a fellow human.
I do not fly with Qantas any more.
she refused help so complaining is of no use. I note no one mentions how the plane was held up for half an hour due to this lady. also note how not one passenger offered help. I wonder why. too many variations for my liking.

Reactions: Leenie
Apart from this unfortunate incident with the disabled customer and I offer her my sympathetic thoughts, here are my thoughts on Qantas.

If the government helped the company with a $2.7billion handout during CoVid shouldn’t Qantas be returning at least some of that to the government from their big profit??? After all it is the government’s money (or actually our money from taxes)! That might reduce the handshake Alan Joyce walks away with.
Couldn't agree more!!!!!

Reactions: Leenie