'It’s so bad!': American reacts to Aussie version of Target

When you travel to a new country, you expect to encounter differences in culture, food, and language.

But have you ever considered the differences in retail experiences?

For one American woman, a visit to an Australian Target store came as a huge shock, and her reaction sparked a lively debate about the differences between American and Australian retail experiences.

RaeAnna, an American visiting her partner in Melbourne, decided to take a trip to Target, expecting a familiar shopping experience.

In the United States, Target is a one-stop shop, offering everything from groceries to clothing, and even an in-house coffee shop.

SDC 5.png
One American woman pointed out the differences between the Australian and American versions of the retail store Target. Image source: Shutterstock.

However, the Australian version of the store was a far cry from what she was used to.

As she entered the Australian Target, RaeAnna was taken aback.

'Australian Target is like Walmart but worse,' she said.

'It's ugly, it's so bad,' she added, unable to contain her laughter.

Her comments sparked a flurry of responses from Australians who have visited American Targets, describing them as a combination of several Australian stores, including Kmart, Chemist Warehouse, Dan Murphy's, Sephora, Coles, and a café.

Some even suggested that Australian Kmarts were similar to American Targets, but this comparison was quickly dismissed.

'US Targets have so much more than just a Kmart,' one commented.

'You have so many options for everything.'

Another added, 'You can get your ears pierced and get a facial at my local Target. It also has an optometrist.'

'Wow, Australian Target is severely lacking,' a third replied.

The stark contrast between the two versions of the store led to a broader discussion about the differences in retail experiences between the two countries.

Some Australians expressed a desire for a more comprehensive shopping experience like the one offered by American Targets.

'I wish we had that, I feel like having three stores in one is so much more convenient than going to multiple places,' one Australian said.

Another added: 'All the options seem amazing—at least you know everyone's house won't look the same.'
Key Takeaways
  • An American woman expressed her shock and disappointment after visiting an Australian Target store for the first time.
  • She likened the Australian Target to 'Walmart but worse', and was surprised to find it lacked many features present in American Targets, such as in-house coffee shops and sprawling aisles of products.
  • Some Australian responses compared the American version to a combination of Kmart, Chemist Warehouse, Dan Murphy's, Sephora, Coles, and a café, with some expressing a desire to have American-style Targets in Australia.
What do you think, members? Would you like to see Australian Targets become more like their American counterparts, or do you prefer the current model? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

• Angry
Reactions: Tipsy and Ricki
Sponsored
Actually, Target used to be an all-in-one store with the supermarket, café and clothes etc. However, you could not walk through from one to the other as it was separated by the café , I know because I worked there when I was 15 in Fairfield. And the Kmart in Fairfield West did sell firearms. Kmart had the better café it was always down the back of the store.

an American friend emailed me a heap of people out shopping but OMG,,their outfits were so ridiculous all you can do is laugh until you cry,,,,I ask WHY with so many tight outfits showing their bits they have nothing to crow about

I liked Target in America. It had everything you needed under one roof. (Although i would prefer groceries from a supermarket) but for us who just arrived and hired a motorhome, we needed a few extras. Australian country Targets are crappy little stores with high price tags. Give me a big K mart an’y day!

I was in a local Target today with my wife collecting something, and as we were walking around, we both said we don't know why we haven't been in there a lot before. We seem just to keep going to KMart. Had a good choice of kids clothes (for our grandsons), it was well laid out and had plenty of room to walk about and wasn't that busy.

Reactions: Jennie
You'd think that considering there is one firearm for every person the USA, they would have committed self genocide by now. But alas....

And why do Yanks have to big note themselves at every opportunity? The funniest instance I saw was at Sydney airport in the mid 1980s at about 7 am. This 6 foot plus pseudo surfie dude was slurring about his "surfing achievements" to an equally drunk audience. He stated he was "surfing 15 foot plus boomers" at Bondi Beach a few days previously. Firstly, being a keen surfer myself, knows that Bondi is one of the worst beaches in the Sydney Metropolitan Area for surfing, incapable of holding a 6 foot wave, let alone 15 feet. Secondly, the swell in Sydney never surpassed the three foot mark in the previous few weeks.

So after 15 minutes or so of total BS, I heard, along with a few friends, an almighty THUD with pretty boy Seppo laying comatose on the terminal floor. A fitting culmination to a alcohol fueled diatribe of self grandising rubbish. We had the last laugh and let the swaying audience know it!

Reactions: Jennie
You'd think that considering there is one firearm for every person the USA, they would have committed self genocide by now. But alas....

And why do Yanks have to big note themselves at every opportunity? The funniest instance I saw was at Sydney airport in the mid 1980s at about 7 am. This 6 foot plus pseudo surfie dude was slurring about his "surfing achievements" to an equally drunk audience. He stated he was "surfing 15 foot plus boomers" at Bondi Beach a few days previously. Firstly, being a keen surfer myself, knows that Bondi is one of the worst beaches in the Sydney Metropolitan Area for surfing, incapable of holding a 6 foot wave, let alone 15 feet. Secondly, the swell in Sydney never surpassed the three foot mark in the previous few weeks.

So after 15 minutes or so of total BS, I heard, along with a few friends, an almighty THUD with pretty boy Seppo laying comatose on the terminal floor. A fitting culmination to a alcohol fueled diatribe of self grandising rubbish. We had the last laugh and let the swaying audience know it!
Unfortunately all the Seppo's I have met are like that. Nothing like self promotion.

• Love
Reactions: Veggiepatch
And the US has a LEADER like Joe Biden....err, no thanks very much, are you kidding, he's not a LEADER'S bootlace.......But here in our great Country we have.......AL ........ sorry, lets think of something different about each country shall we, this time.

Reactions: DLHM and KaraJenna
I would like to point out the stores here and in the US had totally different beginnings. Our Target stores are nothing to do with US ones apart from some similar merchandise. Don't make assumptions solely on a similar name lady! We are NOT an extention of your country, thankfully!

When you travel to a new country, you expect to encounter differences in culture, food, and language.

For one American woman, a visit to an Australian Target store came as a huge shock, and her reaction sparked a lively debate about the differences between American and Australian retail experiences.

RaeAnna, an American visiting her partner in Melbourne, decided to take a trip to Target, expecting a familiar shopping experience.

In the United States, Target is a one-stop shop, offering everything from groceries to clothing, and even an in-house coffee shop.

View attachment 36664
One American woman pointed out the differences between the Australian and American versions of the retail store Target. Image source: Shutterstock.

However, the Australian version of the store was a far cry from what she was used to.

Her comments sparked a flurry of responses from Australians who have visited American Targets, describing them as a combination of several Australian stores, including Kmart, Chemist Warehouse, Dan Murphy's, Sephora, Coles, and a café.

Some even suggested that Australian Kmarts were similar to American Targets, but this comparison was quickly dismissed.

Another added, 'You can get your ears pierced and get a facial at my local Target. It also has an optometrist.'

The stark contrast between the two versions of the store led to a broader discussion about the differences in retail experiences between the two countries.

Some Australians expressed a desire for a more comprehensive shopping experience like the one offered by American Targets.

'I wish we had that, I feel like having three stores in one is so much more convenient than going to multiple places,' one Australian said.

Another added: 'All the options seem amazing—at least you know everyone's house won't look the same.'
Key Takeaways

• An American woman expressed her shock and disappointment after visiting an Australian Target store for the first time.
  • She likened the Australian Target to 'Walmart but worse', and was surprised to find it lacked many features present in American Targets, such as in-house coffee shops and sprawling aisles of products.
  • Some Australian responses compared the American version to a combination of Kmart, Chemist Warehouse, Dan Murphy's, Sephora, Coles, and a café, with some expressing a desire to have American-style Targets in Australia.
What do you think, members? Would you like to see Australian Targets become more like their American counterparts, or do you prefer the current model? Share your thoughts in the comments below.
If these tourists don't like our ways, they can go back from wherever they came from. I would never complain about another country's ways of living.

One thing we don't want to be is American. Their food is disgusting, the sizes of everything are obscene and they think everything there is the best in the world. Not all Yanks are like that and like us Aussies we shudder when someone shows their ignorance. My husband was having a drink with a yank when we were in LA and they were drinking lolly water (as my husband described it) The yank was putting ice cubes in his drink and he was slurring his words and they only had 3 drinks.

Reactions: Taryn Gillan

View attachment 36664

Key Takeaways

I don’t want Australia to get more Americanised than it already is!! Huge portions in restaurants, Halloween, stupid Real Housewives on TV - we’ll be celebrating Thanksgiving next!! Keep our stores the way they are or we are going to lose our uniqueness!! If the US visitors don’t like it then p***off back home! Why come to another country expecting the same shopping experiences you get back home? This has really annoyed me

AH THE YANK !!! Why do they insist in coming here and complaining expecting everything to be the same as in the US. Thank God it isn't.
I read an article written by a woman asking some questions that had me in fits of laughter. Here are a couple.
Why is it hot in Australia when it's snowing in America?. They should be the same.
Why isn't Australia level with us on the world map.?
HERE COMES THE CLASSIC
Does Santa wear swimming costumes when he deals with the children in the stores at Christmas because it's so hot out there?
Heaven save us from American stupidity and, NO she wasn't joking because there were about 8 questions like this.
What can you expect from people who voted to make a fool like Donald Trump their President.

Reactions: Loubeauxarts
I liked Target in America. It had everything you needed under one roof. (Although i would prefer groceries from a supermarket) but for us who just arrived and hired a motorhome, we needed a few extras. Australian country Targets are crappy little stores with high price tags. Give me a big K mart an’y day!
I agree about country Targets,.not worth having. Either provide a decent sized store or don't bother. So sick of being told they don't have this or that because they are Country Target

View attachment 36664

Key Takeaways

Dont come back