'It’s so bad!': American reacts to Aussie version of Target

When you travel to a new country, you expect to encounter differences in culture, food, and language.

But have you ever considered the differences in retail experiences?

For one American woman, a visit to an Australian Target store came as a huge shock, and her reaction sparked a lively debate about the differences between American and Australian retail experiences.

RaeAnna, an American visiting her partner in Melbourne, decided to take a trip to Target, expecting a familiar shopping experience.

In the United States, Target is a one-stop shop, offering everything from groceries to clothing, and even an in-house coffee shop.

SDC 5.png
One American woman pointed out the differences between the Australian and American versions of the retail store Target. Image source: Shutterstock.

However, the Australian version of the store was a far cry from what she was used to.

As she entered the Australian Target, RaeAnna was taken aback.

'Australian Target is like Walmart but worse,' she said.

'It's ugly, it's so bad,' she added, unable to contain her laughter.

Her comments sparked a flurry of responses from Australians who have visited American Targets, describing them as a combination of several Australian stores, including Kmart, Chemist Warehouse, Dan Murphy's, Sephora, Coles, and a café.

Some even suggested that Australian Kmarts were similar to American Targets, but this comparison was quickly dismissed.

'US Targets have so much more than just a Kmart,' one commented.

'You have so many options for everything.'

Another added, 'You can get your ears pierced and get a facial at my local Target. It also has an optometrist.'

'Wow, Australian Target is severely lacking,' a third replied.

The stark contrast between the two versions of the store led to a broader discussion about the differences in retail experiences between the two countries.

Some Australians expressed a desire for a more comprehensive shopping experience like the one offered by American Targets.

'I wish we had that, I feel like having three stores in one is so much more convenient than going to multiple places,' one Australian said.

Another added: 'All the options seem amazing—at least you know everyone's house won't look the same.'
Key Takeaways
  • An American woman expressed her shock and disappointment after visiting an Australian Target store for the first time.
  • She likened the Australian Target to 'Walmart but worse', and was surprised to find it lacked many features present in American Targets, such as in-house coffee shops and sprawling aisles of products.
  • Some Australian responses compared the American version to a combination of Kmart, Chemist Warehouse, Dan Murphy's, Sephora, Coles, and a café, with some expressing a desire to have American-style Targets in Australia.
What do you think, members? Would you like to see Australian Targets become more like their American counterparts, or do you prefer the current model? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

• Angry
Reactions: Tipsy and Ricki
Sponsored
Nah leave it as it is. I want my groceries separate to clothing and homewares.

As for the American I'm sure stores are different all over the world . It's what makes us unique.

When in a supermarket in Pittsburgh we couldn't believe how crazy the Americans were for coupons, now this is crazy everyone has coupons and it takes so long to get through checkouts just because of coupons.

Another gripe you have streets which are for the more well off people then you literally walk over to the next street and it's like a slum . I couldn't believe how this was just next street over

Do you really want all those things in one shop - this would just ensure that the small retailer has less chance again of making a go of it. And then of course everyone would complain they can't find certain products anymore.
Don't forget there are a LOT more people in the US - hence they have a much bigger buying power than we have here. And I for one, am most grateful that we are smaller.

When you travel to a new country, you expect to encounter differences in culture, food, and language.

For one American woman, a visit to an Australian Target store came as a huge shock, and her reaction sparked a lively debate about the differences between American and Australian retail experiences.

RaeAnna, an American visiting her partner in Melbourne, decided to take a trip to Target, expecting a familiar shopping experience.

In the United States, Target is a one-stop shop, offering everything from groceries to clothing, and even an in-house coffee shop.

View attachment 36664
One American woman pointed out the differences between the Australian and American versions of the retail store Target. Image source: Shutterstock.

However, the Australian version of the store was a far cry from what she was used to.

Her comments sparked a flurry of responses from Australians who have visited American Targets, describing them as a combination of several Australian stores, including Kmart, Chemist Warehouse, Dan Murphy's, Sephora, Coles, and a café.

Some even suggested that Australian Kmarts were similar to American Targets, but this comparison was quickly dismissed.

Another added, 'You can get your ears pierced and get a facial at my local Target. It also has an optometrist.'

The stark contrast between the two versions of the store led to a broader discussion about the differences in retail experiences between the two countries.

Some Australians expressed a desire for a more comprehensive shopping experience like the one offered by American Targets.

'I wish we had that, I feel like having three stores in one is so much more convenient than going to multiple places,' one Australian said.

Another added: 'All the options seem amazing—at least you know everyone's house won't look the same.'
Key Takeaways

• An American woman expressed her shock and disappointment after visiting an Australian Target store for the first time.
  • She likened the Australian Target to 'Walmart but worse', and was surprised to find it lacked many features present in American Targets, such as in-house coffee shops and sprawling aisles of products.
  • Some Australian responses compared the American version to a combination of Kmart, Chemist Warehouse, Dan Murphy's, Sephora, Coles, and a café, with some expressing a desire to have American-style Targets in Australia.
What do you think, members? Would you like to see Australian Targets become more like their American counterparts, or do you prefer the current model? Share your thoughts in the com They seem ents below.
No doubt she can also make an appointment to see her, OBGYN? They seem to be able to do everything in American department stores, even get SHOT?

American father: "Come here son....tell me how many neighbourhood kids you shoot today".

American 10 year old son: Excitedly "Three dad!!"

American father: "Not good enough son....get down in the basement now and I will give you biggest hiding ever!"

American son: "But...but...I tri...." SLAP!!

American father: "Get down there....NOW!!"

A day in the life of the average redneck American family.

View attachment 36664

Key Takeaways

What do you think, members? Would you like to see Australian Targets become more like their American counterparts, or do you prefer the current model? Share your thoughts in the comments below.
Personally I think the less like USA we are in all aspects, the better. In regard to people wanting the convenience of all in one place “mega stores”, be careful of what you wish for. We already experience mass price gouging and bullying of staff and suppliers from the duopoly that is Woolworths and Coles.

American father: "Come here son....tell me how many neighbourhood kids you shoot today".?

American 10 year old son: Excitedly "Three dad!!"

American father: "Not good enough son....get down in the basement now and I will give you biggest hiding ever!"

American son: "But...but...I tri...." SLAP!!

American father: "Get down there....NOW!!"

A day in the life of the average redneck American family.
AH THE YANK !!! Why do they insist in coming here and complaining expecting everything to be the same as in the US. Thank God it isn't.
I read an article written by a woman asking some questions that had me in fits of laughter. Here are a couple.
Why is it hot in Australia when it's snowing in America?. They should be the same.
Why isn't Australia level with us on the world map.?
HERE COMES THE CLASSIC
Does Santa wear swimming costumes when he deals with the children in the stores at Christmas because it's so hot out there?
Heaven save us from American stupidity and, NO she wasn't joking because there were about 8 questions like this.

Personally I think the less like USA we are in all aspects, the better. In regard to people wanting the convenience of all in one place “mega stores”, be careful of what you wish for. We already experience mass price gouging and bullying of staff and suppliers from the duopoly that is Woolworths and Coles.

Oh no! Australian Target isn't exactly the same as US Target. Things are different in other countries and this person can't cope. OHHHHH NOOOOO. Cheez, lady. Stay home. The whole point of travel is to see things that are different.

Why do most Americans have to be the biggest and the best at everything? They are certainly the best at shooting each other! Thank goodness I live in Oz.
they have been slaughtering people since they almost wiped out the Indians. Anyone notice how many wars they've been involved in, got Australia involved in then PISSED OFF and left us to it.

Reactions: Ricki and Hel