Is your Subaru putting your life at risk? Shocking manufacturing defect leads to massive recall

Over the past decade, Subaru has earned a sterling reputation for safety. However, in a startling revelation, a popular Subaru model has been recalled due to a potentially fatal manufacturing defect.

The issue, which could affect the car's rearview camera and reverse lights, has raised serious safety concerns.

This led to the recall of almost 3,000 Subaru Outbacks manufactured between 2021 and 2022 and impacted all available vehicle variants.

Screenshot 2023-11-22 072319.png
Subaru issued a recall of almost 3,000 vehicles due to safety concerns. Credit: Subaru Australia

The root of the problem was in the car's transmission switch, which may not be properly sealed. According to the federal Department of Transport, this could allow moisture to seep in and corrode the circuit board.

If the reverse lights failed to illuminate or the rearview camera failed to display an image while the vehicle was reversing, it could significantly increase the risk of an accident.

The Department of Transport has issued a stark warning: 'If the reverse lamps and/or the rearview camera do not operate as intended, it may impact the safety of other traffic, or any persons located behind the vehicle, increasing the risk of an accident, causing serious injury or death to vehicle occupants and/or other road users.'

All affected vehicles are in this Vehicle identification number (VIN) list. The notice urged owners to book their car at any authorised Subaru Service Centre to have the defect rectified.

The repair will be free of charge for concerned owners. For more information, consumers can contact Subaru directly at 1800 22 66 43 or email [email protected].

You can find more details about this recall here.

Understanding Vehicle Recalls

A vehicle recall is a request from a manufacturer to return a product after discovering safety issues or product defects that might endanger the consumer or put the maker/seller at risk of legal action.

The manufacturer typically issues a recall based on their discovery and analysis of a potential product defect. These issues can be found during the production process or reported by customers or independent entities such as safety organisations and research institutions.

In the case of the Subaru Outback, the recall was due to a manufacturing defect that could potentially lead to serious accidents. Consumers must understand that recalls are issued in the interest of safety and should be taken seriously.

If you receive a recall notice, it is crucial to act on it immediately. Contact your local dealer or the manufacturer for further instructions. In most cases, the fix for the defect will be free of charge.

The Subaru Outback recall is a timely reminder of the importance of vehicle safety. It's crucial for all drivers to check their vehicles for recalls regularly and to act promptly if their car is affected.

Key Takeaways
  • A recall alert has been issued for nearly 3,000 Subaru Outbacks made between 2021 and 2022 due to a manufacturing defect.
  • The manufacturing issue could affect the car’s rearview camera and reverse lights, increasing the risk of an accident.
  • According to the Department of Transport, The car’s transmission switch might not be sealed properly, potentially allowing moisture to enter and corrode the circuit board.
  • Owners of affected vehicles can have the defect fixed free of charge at any authorised Subaru Service Centre.

Members, are you affected by this recall, or have you experienced a similar issue with your vehicle? Share your experiences in the comments below.

Reactions: Ezzy and TessM
Sponsored
From memory we never had vehicle recalls when we made and assembled imported vehicles. Today it is a recall weekly from Chinese assemblies and cheaper mass-produced parts that are not holding up to the reputation. I had one for my 2006 Nissan Tiida with potentially dangerous metal-spitting airbags, replaced a few years ago,

Reactions: Ezzy and PattiB
Which Subaru model???
The article states:
“…almost 3,000 Subaru Outbacks manufactured between 2021 and 2022 and impacted all available vehicle variants.”

“All affected vehicles are in this Vehicle identification number (VIN) list. The notice urged owners to book their car at any authorised Subaru Service Centre to have the defect rectified.”

“The repair will be free of charge for concerned owners. For more information, consumers can contact Subaru directly at 1800 22 66 43 or email [email protected].”

“You can find more details about this recall here.”

To find your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN):
Look for the 17-character VIN on the lower left of your car's windshield, or on the label inside your driver side doorjamb (see example). You might also find your VIN on your vehicle’s registration or your insurance documents.

Everything is made to last about 5 years now, it's called built in obsolesence. They want you to buy a new one to increase their sales and therefore profit... KEEP that in mind when shopping for an Electric Vehicle.

I have a moderately modern car (2016). It has lousy rear vision through the back-window (a very narrow field of view) and the wing mirrors only just suffice for rear vision if adjusted precisely to the correct position. When I compare this modern thing with my former almost vintage Nissan, it dangerous. A reversing camera is all very well but it won't give you an image when moving forward. And it is electronic so prone to failure.

Judging by the style of bodywork of most modern cars, they will have similar rear-vision issues as does mine. We clearly have some rather dumb car designers designing the modern car.

Reactions: Ezzy
I have a moderately modern car (2016). It has lousy rear vision through the back-window (a very narrow field of view) and the wing mirrors only just suffice for rear vision if adjusted precisely to the correct position. When I compare this modern thing with my former almost vintage Nissan, it dangerous. A reversing camera is all very well but it won't give you an image when moving forward. And it is electronic so prone to failure.

Judging by the style of bodywork of most modern cars, they will have similar rear-vision issues as does mine. We clearly have some rather dumb car designers designing the modern car.
Not sure what you mean. The front camera shows you moving forward, just like the rear camera shows you reversing. My car does. Yes, they are electronic and if they have any issues, a car sound audio business fixes them.